Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 155)
Thread Tools
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2010, 02:09 PM
 
I'm going to beat it and post all of the plot twists before yours has a chance to come in.
     
klb5090
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Anybody get Bioshock 2 yet? I was thinking about picking it up after work today.
picked it up yesterday after work, hoping to get a chance to play it today, i think my xbox has been off for a week (might be a record)
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
 
I still have yet to play the original Bioshock. Should I be ashamed?
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 01:36 PM
 
Yes, very much so.

Joking aside, it's a really good game, and pretty long for an FPS. The graphics are jaw-dropping.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
 
I would definitely play it before picking up the second. Story was actually pretty decent, especially for a FPS console game. But it was the design of the world that really made the game what it was.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 02:03 PM
 
The last level was a little long in the tooth IMO, but the meat-and-potatoes levels are all fantastic and diverse. It also has some of the creepiest parts in any recent video game, not just 'jump-out-and-scare-ya' but some fairly disturbing and unsettling encounters.
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I still have yet to play the original Bioshock. Should I be ashamed?
No. I've had it sitting on my self for almost a year now but haven't found time to play it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yes, very much so.

Joking aside, it's a really good game, and pretty long for an FPS. The graphics are jaw-dropping.
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
No. I've had it sitting on my self for almost a year now but haven't found time to play it.
That's what I'm afraid of. I have other games I still haven't finished (Curse, you MW2 multiplayer!)

So far, the games that I'm not finished with:

PS3:
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Uncharted 2
LittleBigPlanet

360:
MW2 single player
Forza 3 (I know you can't "finish" the game, but I'm nowhere near bored with it)
Mass Effect

I think I'll just finish these games off before I make another purchase, but Bioshock is one of those I'll probably go back and pick up.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 11:20 AM
 
Friday News: NPD Edition

January NPD: Mass Effect 2 debuts at #2, hardware is down

-Wii: 466K3.34M (-88%)
-DS: 422K2.89M (-80%)
-360: 333K977K (-85%)
-PS3: 277K1.08M (-75%)
-PSP: 100K361K (-88%)
-PS2: 42K291K (-87%)

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 656.7K
Mass Effect 2 - Xbox 360 - Electronic Arts - 572.1K
Wii Fit Plus - Wii - Nintendo - 555.7K
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360 - Activision - 326.7K
Mario Kart w/ Wheel - Wii - Nintendo - 310.9K
Wii Sports Resort - Wii - Nintendo - 297.6K
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - PS3 - Activision - 259K
Army of Two: The 40th Day - Xbox 360 - Electronic Arts - 246.5K
Just Dance - Wii - Ubisoft - 191.9K
Darksiders - Xbox 360 - THQ - 171.2K

Personal Notes:
• The 360 pulls back ahead of the PS3 in hardware sales post-holiday.
• MW2 still moving copies like mad.
• Darksiders, which received no fanfare (that I noticed) manages to grab a top 10 spot while M.A.G. which got a ton of press, doesn't.
• A third party Wii game charted! (It's a fitness game)

NPD Instant Analysis: Things You Should Note - Sales - Kotaku

---

X10: Fable 3 impressions (spoiler: we're not pissed off)
No idea what the "pissed off" thing was about, but Molyneux has suckered me in already.


Bungie: Halo Reach multiplayer takes 'big risks'
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 11:23 AM
 
EEDAR: No More Heroes 2 sold 30k in January

I guess now third party Wii games are considered a success if they don't "absolutely tank". Good to know.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
 
It's worth noting is a sequel too, and those usually do waaaay better.

But let's see how it does in the long-run. That seems to be the Wii's sales strength.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
• Darksiders, which received no fanfare (that I noticed) manages to grab a top 10 spot while M.A.G. which got a ton of press, doesn't.
Funny that M.A.G. is finally mentioned. The game sucks.

What they tried to do is pretty cool, but the control and polish feels so mediocre that someone who enjoys MW2 is going to play for a maximum of 20 minutes before they write the game off.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
 
Finally mentioned? I twas the only reason I was interested in a PS3 for the past year.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 02:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
X10: Fable 3 impressions (spoiler: we're not pissed off)
No idea what the "pissed off" thing was about, but Molyneux has suckered me in already.
I imagine he's thinking RPG fans will feel betrayed since he's essentially taken an RPG series and made it not one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
 
Its true. I just read the interview and it sounds very different.
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 02:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So I guess a release date is set for Halo Reach multi player beta. May 3rd.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
 
I wonder if it's like the "new feature" in ODST of the BR, jumping ability and health recharge being left out.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
 
Darksiders looks bad-ass. I'm gonna pick it up after work.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
 
Perfect Dark is coming in March at $10
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Darksiders looks bad-ass. I'm gonna pick it up after work.
I guess it's the darker Zelda game everyone's been waiting for.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Perfect Dark is coming in March at $10
The launch XBox 360 title was so damn bad it killed it for me.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2010, 05:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Finally mentioned? I twas the only reason I was interested in a PS3 for the past year.
I was really, really disappointed with it. It's getting an average of 7.6, but I think that's a bit generous. It just feels last-gen in a lot of ways.
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. I have other games I still haven't finished (Curse, you MW2 multiplayer!)

So far, the games that I'm not finished with:

PS3:
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Uncharted 2
LittleBigPlanet

360:
MW2 single player
Forza 3 (I know you can't "finish" the game, but I'm nowhere near bored with it)
Mass Effect

I think I'll just finish these games off before I make another purchase, but Bioshock is one of those I'll probably go back and pick up.
I've got the same games, minus MW2 (burnt out of shooters at this point, honestly), so I'm trying to finish them up before FFXIII and Fallout: New Vegas get here.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 03:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I've got the same games, minus MW2 (burnt out of shooters at this point, honestly), so I'm trying to finish them up before FFXIII and Fallout: New Vegas get here.
Haven't finished Uncharted 2 yet either? I haven't touched LittleBigPlanet in months.
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 03:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Haven't finished Uncharted 2 yet either? I haven't touched LittleBigPlanet in months.
No, I got it for Christmas and with work and school, I just haven't had time to get very far.

With the recent water update, I might get back into LBP and finish off the story mode.
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Haven't finished Uncharted 2 yet either? I haven't touched LittleBigPlanet in months.
Get the water levels for LBP. They are great.
     
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was really, really disappointed with it. It's getting an average of 7.6, but I think that's a bit generous. It just feels last-gen in a lot of ways.
The first Perfect Dark was an awesome game. Don't let the crap 360 sequel ruin it for you, especially at a great price of $10.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
No, I got it for Christmas and with work and school, I just haven't had time to get very far.

With the recent water update, I might get back into LBP and finish off the story mode.
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Get the water levels for LBP. They are great.
Yeah, I haven't even turned the game on since the water levels were released. I loved the game though; I just got distracted by a few other titles and never finished up.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
The first Perfect Dark was an awesome game. Don't let the crap 360 sequel ruin it for you, especially at a great price of $10.
Oh, I was talking about M.A.G. in that last post. I never played Perfect Dark. I *cough* had traded in my N64 for a PlayStation at that point (I'm not joking). I'll probably check out the re-make though. $10 is reasonable enough.
     
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
 
Darksiders is FREAKING amazing btw. My only gripe (and it's a minor one) is the graphics, they aren't terrible, but they feel a little dated. The gameplay more than makes up for it though.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
• MW2 still moving copies like mad.
Fancy that, a 2D side-scoller without online multiplayer has outsold MW2 on XB360+PS3 combined.

I dont want NSMBWii nor do i want MW2.... but i do think it's amusing that a game no core gamer wants, is exactly what the mass markets wants.

I've decided to put off the PS3 purchase at least until the 'Last Guardian' comes out, and i should have a few games on the Wii to keep me busy until then (No More Heroes 1 & 2, Fragile, SMG2, Metroid Other M, the new Zelda(hopefully)).
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
 
I dont want NSMBWii
May I ask for a reason?, it is a great game but damn hard, Nintendo did a great job. Not your type maybe?.

     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 12:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
May I ask for a reason?, it is a great game but damn hard, Nintendo did a great job. Not your type maybe?
I'm more of a single player gamer, and i think this game specifically lacks a compelling single player component. And if it does, i have a very similar experience on my NDS with NSMBDS. As for 2D sidescrollers on my Wii..ive got the legacy Mario and Sonic titles.

As far as Wii centric games, ive finally gotten around to playing MadWorld, and the art in this game (not just the style of graphics, but the humor, writing, comic-book-cut-scenes, character design, music, etc) are just awesome, and compliment each other very well.

Cheers
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 06:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Fancy that, a 2D side-scoller without online multiplayer has outsold MW2 on XB360+PS3 combined.
Calling a "2D side-scoller" is down-playing the fact that it's a ****ing 1st party Mario game just a bit, eh?

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I dont want NSMBWii nor do i want MW2.... but i do think it's amusing that a game no core gamer wants, is exactly what the mass markets wants.
Who said no one wants this?

Still, you're pretty transparent Hawkeye. You never have the time to respond to posts that rebuff your lazy, hollow claims, yet you always have the time to try and stick it to the "core gamers" whenever those rapidly fading opportunities present themselves.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
ive finally gotten around to playing MadWorld, and the art in this game (not just the style of graphics, but the humor, writing, comic-book-cut-scenes, character design, music, etc) are just awesome, and compliment each other very well.
Wait, are you saying that it is *gasp* a good game?
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
 
It can't be a good game, because the Wii has a plethora of hardcore gamers and a quality hardcore title would have sold better.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
 
I don't believe that. Say you've all had a Wii since launch. Would you buy a good hard-core game for your Wii? No. You'd still be playing on your PS360.

I have neither, so I did pick up MadWorld, and it is darn good.
I'm on MacNN forums, but no longer have a Mac...
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Calling a "2D side-scoller" is down-playing the fact that it's a ****ing 1st party Mario game just a bit, eh?
Just a bit, considering SuperSmash Bros has Mario(and Sonic) and Super Mario Galaxy is a first party mario game...neither of which has sold this fast....but yeah, i guess i am downplaying the fact that the mass market prefers mario over a gun-weilding protagonist.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Who said no one wants this?
What ?

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Still, you're pretty transparent Hawkeye. You never have the time to respond to posts that rebuff your lazy, hollow claims, yet you always have the time to try and stick it to the "core gamers" whenever those rapidly fading opportunities present themselves.
Cheers for the analysis, you obviously know a lot more about video games, the industry and my thinking. kudos <end sarcasm>

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Wait, are you saying that it is *gasp* a good game?
Yeah i am. have you played it ? what's your excuse ? Last i checked Wii's are inexpensive(if you have a job) and apparently there are so many great games that dont sell to the current userbase.....so how come you havent picked a Wii up to play these games ? *gasp* could it be because you are a fanboy or graphics-hore ? *gasp*
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 12:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It can't be a good game, because the Wii has a plethora of hardcore gamers and a quality hardcore title would have sold better.
Then why don't you own Madworld or any of those other so called "good" core Wii games ? If you want anyone to take this angle of your seriously, go buy a Wii and buy and play those games you think should have sold better and quit ur bitchin and blaming the console or it's audience (which you are a part of as well... assuming you can afford to buy the stuff). If you arent willing to drop your money for these third party products dont assume others should either.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
 
I don't own a Wii because motion controls are gimmicky bullsh!t.

I'd rather play Wii games on a GamCube, which will look the same of course, then waggle my arms around.
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 04:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't own a Wii because motion controls are gimmicky bullsh!t.

I'd rather play Wii games on a GameCube, which will look the same of course, then waggle my arms around.
Same here. I can't stand the motion controls on the Wii. It's the main reason why I never finished Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 03:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Then why don't you own Madworld or any of those other so called "good" core Wii games ? If you want anyone to take this angle of your seriously, go buy a Wii and buy and play those games you think should have sold better and quit ur bitchin and blaming the console or it's audience (which you are a part of as well... assuming you can afford to buy the stuff). If you arent willing to drop your money for these third party products dont assume others should either.
He was criticizing your argument that the the problem third-party devs have on the Wii is that they don't put enough effort into it. If Madworld was a good game and there's an audience hungry for good games of that type on the Wii, it should have sold better. That's what he's saying. By reductio ad absurdam, we must conclude that one of the premises is false — either the game was bad or the audience wasn't there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 03:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He was criticizing your argument that the the problem third-party devs have on the Wii is that they don't put enough effort into it. If Madworld was a good game and there's an audience hungry for good games of that type on the Wii, it should have sold better. That's what he's saying. By reductio ad absurdam, we must conclude that one of the premises is false — either the game was bad or the audience wasn't there.
Or, if you're Hawkeye, you invent new reasons every time it happens. This time I'm going to guess he'll blame marketing.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Just a bit, considering SuperSmash Bros has Mario(and Sonic) and Super Mario Galaxy is a first party mario game...neither of which has sold this fast....but yeah, i guess i am downplaying the fact that the mass market prefers mario over a gun-weilding protagonist.
The mass market prefers the a beloved 30 year-old franchise to a genre that has only hit its stride on consoles in the past decade? Stop the presses! The first multiplayer sequel (despite your underplaying the fact that it isn't online, it's still a multiplayer platformer which is a complete anomaly) to the most beloved (and best selling) platformer of all-time on the best-selling console? In what world would this not sell a bazillion copies?

You want a surprise? Here's a surprise:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii vs. Modern Warfare 2: the winner?
Back in November, Nintendo of America's President Reggie Fils-Aime was feeling his oats, and bragged that Nintendo could outsell Modern Warfare 2 with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The one caveat? It had to be sales on a single system.

...

Looking at the totals, Modern Warfare 2 for the Xbox 360 handily beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii for the first three months of availability.
Never in a million years did I expect this. Hell, even the PS3 managed 2/3rds the sales with less than half the install base.


Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
What ?
You said no core gamer wants the game. I'm calling BS. Prove it.



Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Cheers for the analysis, you obviously know a lot more about video games, the industry and my thinking. kudos <end sarcasm>
I do. Because your presence was lacking the past two months when Modern Warfare 2 was slaughtering NSMB in sales. You're a fair-weather poster. Maybe if you showed up to take your lashes we'd give you a little more credit. But when it comes to objectivity, I'm the only guy posting stuff for both sides.

You honestly think you know more about video games than me? Honestly?



Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Yeah i am. have you played it ? what's your excuse ? Last i checked Wii's are inexpensive(if you have a job) and apparently there are so many great games that dont sell to the current userbase.....so how come you havent picked a Wii up to play these games ? *gasp* could it be because you are a fanboy or graphics-hore ? *gasp*
You know it occurs to me you don't own a 360 or PS3. How do you know they're not making the better games?

BTW, in case you forgot:
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Enough with the "fanboy," "go buy yourself a pair" and so on, folks. This thread is not for attacking people whose opinions differ from yours. Any more and bans are likely.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't own a Wii because motion controls are gimmicky bullsh!t.

I'd rather play Wii games on a GamCube, which will look the same of course, then waggle my arms around.
This has been told to him several times now, but he keeps falling back on the same fallacious questions/arguments.

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He was criticizing your argument that the the problem third-party devs have on the Wii is that they don't put enough effort into it. If Madworld was a good game and there's an audience hungry for good games of that type on the Wii, it should have sold better. That's what he's saying. By reductio ad absurdam, we must conclude that one of the premises is false — either the game was bad or the audience wasn't there.
I don't know debating, but chuckit does.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Or, if you're Hawkeye, you invent new reasons every time it happens. This time I'm going to guess he'll blame marketing.
Except MadWorld commercials were all over around launch. I likely observed that in this thread, too.

---

Now I'm sure that this post was so long, I'll probably get some two sentence response and a claim of a lack of time.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He was criticizing your argument that the the problem third-party devs have on the Wii is that they don't put enough effort into it. If Madworld was a good game and there's an audience hungry for good games of that type on the Wii, it should have sold better. That's what he's saying. By reductio ad absurdam, we must conclude that one of the premises is false — either the game was bad or the audience wasn't there.
Thank you Chuckit.

I'm certain the game is fine, but it involves copious amounts of gore and violence which the Wiis user base has shown they are not interested in.

People who want mature titles with plenty of titties, guns and gore are the primary user base of the PS3 and 360. It's no fault of the Wii itself, it was marketed as a family fun night system, and that's the way it stands today. It has plenty of excellent games (Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, RE4, etc) that make good use of the limited hardware, but all those are well known franchises at this point, that's what Nintendo fans have always been into, franchise games. If you count Call of Duty and Halo as franchise games that still leaves over 90% of my game collection to third party devs. I would only count Halo myself, seeing it's the only Microsoft owned developer, which means 15 games in my collection are AAA third-party efforts.

If MW2 was released for Wii today, with no chopped features, it would still drastically undersell compared to the 360 and PS3 despite having a far greater user base.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 04:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Except MadWorld commercials were all over around launch. I likely observed that in this thread, too.
I saw Madworld commercials for months and months before its release, in fact, it was one of the more heavily marketed Wii games I've ever seen.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
 
Fable 3 co-op to bring full characters, dogs, weapons into friends' games

You'll pardon me if after the last game, I don't hold my breath.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If MW2 was released for Wii today, with no chopped features, it would still drastically undersell compared to the 360 and PS3 despite having a far greater user base.
Well said. Expect Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition to prove this. Nearly the full CoD4 experience packed in to the Wii, and I'm sure sales will hardly reflect this. There's also the fact that it quietly released the same time as the juggernaut Modern Warfare 2...
I'm on MacNN forums, but no longer have a Mac...
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 10:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He was criticizing your argument that the the problem third-party devs have on the Wii is that they don't put enough effort into it. If Madworld was a good game and there's an audience hungry for good games of that type on the Wii, it should have sold better. That's what he's saying. By reductio ad absurdam, we must conclude that one of the premises is false — either the game was bad or the audience wasn't there.
Madworld, imo is a good game, to me, thats it, why other Wii owners didnt buy it is probably for the same reasons YOU fanboys didnt. Why core gamers like yourself dont buy it, is your problem, NOT the console's and not the game's.

YOU are the 'professed' core gamers in this argument as well, not just the subset of the Wii userbase, since the Wii console and Wii games are being sold to EVERYONE, including you.

You seem to assume a core Wii gamer and a regular core gamer are two different things. i'm saying a core gamer is a core gamer irrespective of platform of choice/bias.

If, as you guys say good 'core' titles do not sell on the system and dont own the game yourself..thats just plain hypocrisy, and you are 'core' gamers, the question is yours to answer. why did YOU not buy it, if you thought it was worth purchasing ?

By simply claiming "i dont own a Wii" is a load of crock. you didnt own any other console either, but you bought them for the games. Yet, you so blatantly blame Wii owners for not picking up these good games, when even you wouldn't buy em. So the actual question is, if you wouldn't buy a game, what makes you think anyone else(including Wii owners) should ? You cannot have it both ways with a double standard. "I dont think this game is good enough so i wont buy/play it, but Wii owners should" ? what kind of a hypocritical BS argument is that ?

Maybe it's you guys who should be blamed for the lack of support for core games on the WII, just cause YOU(The self professed core gamers) who think these games are great, don't actually buy and play them ? But it's probably all too convenient to blame the console, to try and mask your fanboyism and obsession with MHzs and graphics.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 10:50 PM
 
Do you like cars? Then why don't you buy every brand, make, and model?

I'm sure I missed a few good games on the Sega Saturn, but I'm not going to buy a whole f**king system to play a few good games. I already play Twilight Princess on the GamCube, which is sweet because I can relax and enjoy playing without flailing my arms around. I would love the play the new Metroid, and RE4 looks pretty cool, oh wait, I can get that on the GC too.

If the Wii had an option to use a regular goddamn controller I might already own one. I was close to buying one as it is until I used the motion control system long enough to realize it was imprecise and killed immersion in the game.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 10:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
But it's probably all too convenient to blame the console, to try and mask your fanboyism and obsession with MHzs and graphics.
There really is no hope for you.

Twilight Princess on the GC doesn't have the best graphics and the machine itself is less powerful than a Wii, yet I love the game to death. Hmmmm, maybe us 'core gamers' simply hate the motion controls, and would actually jump at the chance to play any number of Wii exclusive titles with a better control scheme.

Oh yeah, If you call any one of us a fanboy again, consider yourself the first on my ignore list in the ten years I've been a member here.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Madworld, imo is a good game, to me, thats it, why other Wii owners didnt buy it is probably for the same reasons YOU fanboys didnt. Why core gamers like yourself dont buy it, is your problem, NOT the console's and not the game's.

YOU are the 'professed' core gamers in this argument as well, not just the subset of the Wii userbase, since the Wii console and Wii games are being sold to EVERYONE, including you.

You seem to assume a core Wii gamer and a regular core gamer are two different things. i'm saying a core gamer is a core gamer irrespective of platform of choice/bias.

If, as you guys say good 'core' titles do not sell on the system and dont own the game yourself..thats just plain hypocrisy, and you are 'core' gamers, the question is yours to answer. why did YOU not buy it, if you thought it was worth purchasing ?

By simply claiming "i dont own a Wii" is a load of crock. you didnt own any other console either, but you bought them for the games. Yet, you so blatantly blame Wii owners for not picking up these good games, when even you wouldn't buy em. So the actual question is, if you wouldn't buy a game, what makes you think anyone else(including Wii owners) should ? You cannot have it both ways with a double standard. "I dont think this game is good enough so i wont buy/play it, but Wii owners should" ? what kind of a hypocritical BS argument is that ?

Maybe it's you guys who should be blamed for the lack of support for core games on the WII, just cause YOU(The self professed core gamers) who think these games are great, don't actually buy and play them ? But it's probably all too convenient to blame the console, to try and mask your fanboyism and obsession with MHzs and graphics.
Can you possibly be that dense? Do you not recognize that there is a HUGE difference between a "core" title and a system selling title? Madworld is not the latter, and it only appeals to core gamers that already own a Wii. But it doesn't look like there are too many of them based on the sales numbers...

Most people don't want to own two (or three) consoles. It takes one hell of a game (and usually more than one) to convince them otherwise.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,