Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new 27" i7

new 27" i7
simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2010, 06:37 PM

Hi

has anyone bought one of these yet? Any probs with it?

I want to put my order in (like yesterday) but after the probs with the last 27" I want to wait until the bleeding edge has been bandaged and the bleeding has stopped.

Also - I thought of going the whole hog for an i7 with 8Gb ram - what are the advantages over the quad core i5?
this sig intentionally left blank

P
Aug 2, 2010, 06:52 PM

The top model has only minor updates compared to the last version of the same (CPU is socketed, GPU is on a daughtercard, so the only addition is that extra SATA port). The lower ones are of course more different, but I the problems were related to the packaging and display firmware. Neither of those has changed.

The Core i7 adds one bin (133 MHz) higher clockspeed, one bin faster turbo at the top, better virtualization support and most importantly Hyperthreading. You get to judge if that's worth the money.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2010, 07:01 PM

Tak P.

The new 27" has a new graphics card - I was wondering if it was proven yet?

i5 versus i7
In Australia the i7 is a $290AUD option which can be looked at in two ways :-
1. a whopping 11% increase in price over the i5
OR
2. less than $1 per day for the first year of it's (hopefully) long life time

I think I will go with the i7 as I always go on the idea of getting the best I can buy and use it until it dies.

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2010, 01:35 PM

Get the i7 since you will end up using it longer than the i5. New stuff comes out... natural reaction is to buy the new, but then you look at your i7 beast and realize you don't need that new iMac or whatever at all.
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
Get the i7 since you will end up using it longer than the i5. New stuff comes out... natural reaction is to buy the new, but then you look at your i7 beast and realize you don't need that new iMac or whatever at all.
I did this with my current MBP. Maxed it out, and am not tempted to get a new one. It works just fine

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2010, 10:34 PM

Did the same thing, my MBP (dual 2.6) overall, has the same specs as a midrange one these days, also without those annoying edges that hurt your wrist .
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 07:35 AM

Tonight I put in my order for the 27" i7 8Gb ram 2Tb disc (I know - I could buy the ram cheaper elsewhere and install it myself but I choose Apple to install it as experience has shown that whenever something goes wrong it is natural for a vendor to point the finger at something the owner/user has done to their hardware - this way if the finger ever gets pointed it will be at them.)

Interesting - I did the order at a department store in Sydney (I get points etc for the purchase) and they said 10 business days for delivery. The Aussie Apple store has 4 days for delivery.

V. happy - all I need now is an iPhone 4 (which ain't going to happen in the near future).

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2010, 06:15 AM

I want a 27" i7 iMac SO bad. My 1st gen Mac Pro desperately needs to be retired. And my two 20" displays also need to be sent away. But I'm still holding on to this Mac Pro for one big reason. I'll give you a hint, it begins with "m" and ends with "e", and the middle sounds like "at&t". I was also ready and willing and excited to pull the trigger on the first 27" i7 iMac, but gloss is a deal-breaker for the computer I'm going to use most of the time. I want it so bad, I've even looked into anti-glare films. Having looked into them, I'm definitely not going that route. So I guess I wait. Maybe next summer. Sadly now is the time to sell this Mac Pro. By next summer, it will have lost significantly more value than if I had sold it a month or two ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules