Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Secret Life of a Paid Forum Shill

The Secret Life of a Paid Forum Shill (Page 2)
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2013, 05:16 PM

ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 05:28 PM

The war on boobs is all fun and games until someone puts their eye out.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SOMEONE REALLY HIT A NERVE HUH
lol srsly
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SOMEONE REALLY HIT A NERVE HUH
Not really a nerve, just wanted folks to know that the quoted source is right up there with Star and Us Magazine while remaining in context of the thread topic.

Compelled to defend alternet or something?
omgsecretmsgsarelikesomuchfun
ebuddy

freudling
Banned
Feb 26, 2013, 12:25 AM

Not really a nerve, just wanted folks to know that the quoted source is right up there with Star and Us Magazine while remaining in context of the thread topic.

Compelled to defend alternet or something?
omgsecretmsgsarelikesomuchfun
Actually, I do. Not them specifically but the article. Over at Gizmodo they uncovered RIM and a big astroturfing ring.

A few things on RIM and astroturfing:

RIM owns up to anti-Apple 'protest' stunt in Australia - The Globe and Mail

CNET forum:

What is not confusing is that RIM is surviving on astroturfing, shill-supporters, an old base of old phones and only 2 projected new phones promised by late January, no new tablets announced, and BB10 on tablets not until (vaguely) after BB10 on phones.

Article on corporate astroturfing:

Astroturfing corporate trolls are the new spam

My coworker just left us, he's at Amazon now. He's head of their reviews and is working to revamp them. Right now, for instance, in publishing, there's a huge astroturfing ring operating on Amazon to trash the competition's books. People are paid pennies from India to copy and paste templated crap that destroys the ratings of particular books.

They're working to fight this through algorithms and new policies. It's going to get more stringent and rely more on peer review: you won't just be able to walk in and review carte blanche. You will have to earn the right to make star ratings, and the way you get there is by both buying the product and have points from your peers. You will be able to make comments in REPLY to someone. You will only be able to make full reviews once you've got enough merit in the system.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Actually, I do. Not them specifically but the article. Over at Gizmodo they uncovered RIM and a big astroturfing ring.
I was just having fun and separated your name from my response particularly because I wasn't trying to slander you in my shenanigans. i.e. no hard feelings I hope.

A few things on RIM and astroturfing:

RIM owns up to anti-Apple 'protest' stunt in Australia - The Globe and Mail

CNET forum:

What is not confusing is that RIM is surviving on astroturfing, shill-supporters, an old base of old phones and only 2 projected new phones promised by late January, no new tablets announced, and BB10 on tablets not until (vaguely) after BB10 on phones.

Article on corporate astroturfing:

Astroturfing corporate trolls are the new spam

My coworker just left us, he's at Amazon now. He's head of their reviews and is working to revamp them. Right now, for instance, in publishing, there's a huge astroturfing ring operating on Amazon to trash the competition's books. People are paid pennies from India to copy and paste templated crap that destroys the ratings of particular books.

They're working to fight this through algorithms and new policies. It's going to get more stringent and rely more on peer review: you won't just be able to walk in and review carte blanche. You will have to earn the right to make star ratings, and the way you get there is by both buying the product and have points from your peers. You will be able to make comments in REPLY to someone. You will only be able to make full reviews once you've got enough merit in the system.
I appreciate the information, freudling and in fact, this is a lot more prevalent than I could've imagined. The term had become applicable primarily in political circles of late and I've long-suspected this sort of thing for particular apps in the App Store as I recall a co-worker who had developed an app and encouraged folks to give favorable reviews for "a friend". It doesn't seem too long a stretch to go from "hey, for a friend" to "hey, for a tall latte...", but I never would've imagined you could pay people en masse to hop a bus and wave signs at people walking in and out of an Apple Store or that it'd be worth it to pay "pennies for poor reviewing" in attempting to trash a competitor. Amazing. I'm glad several distributors are making concerted efforts to crack down on this practice as it kind of taints the whole ideal of seeking consumer experiences.
ebuddy

freudling
Banned
Feb 26, 2013, 06:08 PM

I was just having fun and separated your name from my response particularly because I wasn't trying to slander you in my shenanigans. i.e. no hard feelings I hope.

I appreciate the information, freudling and in fact, this is a lot more prevalent than I could've imagined. The term had become applicable primarily in political circles of late and I've long-suspected this sort of thing for particular apps in the App Store as I recall a co-worker who had developed an app and encouraged folks to give favorable reviews for "a friend". It doesn't seem too long a stretch to go from "hey, for a friend" to "hey, for a tall latte...", but I never would've imagined you could pay people en masse to hop a bus and wave signs at people walking in and out of an Apple Store or that it'd be worth it to pay "pennies for poor reviewing" in attempting to trash a competitor. Amazing. I'm glad several distributors are making concerted efforts to crack down on this practice as it kind of taints the whole ideal of seeking consumer experiences.
We're products of our environment. We live in a hyper competitive state with an old economic system. Everybody is trying to make money. Everybody is competing. Because of this, the Internet is a place to sell yourself and to sell 'something' to everyone you come across. Social media has significantly amplified people's quest to make money and compete. This is what we're a product of. The information age has become one of noise and spam, and that noise and spam isn't an Email from Nigeria, it's you, me, and your friends and family selling shxt all over the Web.

In other words, we're pixsing all over the information age with our greed and need to make a buck. The 'information' on the Web is there to sell you something, whether it's ads or a product or service. In this way, information is tarnished on a grand scale.

And you want to talk about cause and effect? Just look to Wallstreet and stock manipulation. The WSJ will write an article about cuts to component orders for iPhone 5 screens, and the stock slips 1% literally on cue. It's all so predictable and ridiculous. But you know what? People play along. And that's the irony. They believe it because it's written! The Web has become a dumping ground to sell crap that nobody needs and for stock and information manipulation.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
In other words, we're pixsing all over the information age with our greed and need to make a buck. The 'information' on the Web is there to sell you something, whether it's ads or a product or service. In this way, information is tarnished on a grand scale.

And you want to talk about cause and effect? Just look to Wallstreet and stock manipulation. The WSJ will write an article about cuts to component orders for iPhone 5 screens, and the stock slips 1% literally on cue. It's all so predictable and ridiculous. But you know what? People play along. And that's the irony. They believe it because it's written! The Web has become a dumping ground to sell crap that nobody needs and for stock and information manipulation.
I agree with much of what you're saying and would cite media in general; all the same symptoms and conditions apply. The thing is, information requires collectors and compilers and distributors and all those things that expend resources. It also involves artistic contributions and intellectual property. I don't begrudge endeavor or profit online, I just hate the abusers... of all types everywhere. I see a lot of good has also come from advancement in communications not unlike any other positive thing with a sullied share.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules