Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync...are they kidding?

iSync...are they kidding?
MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2003, 02:51 AM

This is a 1.0 release? The functionality of this program barely warrants alpha status.

Can anyone using multiple devices get this to work properly are are you always resolving conflicts, creating duplicate schedules and contacts, and reseting your devices from information on your hard drive? My conversations have led me to believe this experience is quite common and that the only reliable feature is the computer to computer syncing.

So, is it me or is this program an utter disgrace, faling short of it's promised functionality and speed...or am I just expecting too much?

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2003, 03:09 AM

Works fine for me.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by frawgz:
Works fine for me.
I second. Maybe you are using a wrong copy. Try delete everything then reinstall.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
My conversations have led me to believe this experience is quite common and that the only reliable feature is the computer to computer syncing.
Strange , the only thing NOT working here is the computer to computer sync. Sync fails on my iBook at the end...every time.

Other than that I am quite happy with iSync to be honest.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 08:56 AM

Works just fine with many devices here.

MickS
Senior User
Jan 6, 2003, 09:15 AM

Works fine for me between my laptop, Palm, T68i and iPod.

This appears to be a typical MacNN Forums posting, "it doesn't work for me" == "it's useless product that should never have been released".

Please can't help if they don't know what devices you are trying to sync.

snerdini
Senior User
Jan 6, 2003, 12:55 PM

Works great for me...although I had to unregister and re-register all my computers to start with a clean slate...otherwise iSync would put duplicate copies of all my iCal items in each sync.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Jan 6, 2003, 01:16 PM

Mine also works fine with 2 computers, .Mac and a T68i.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 01:17 PM

Works flawlessly for me.

It always makes me laugh when people have trouble with a piece of software, and immediately blame the software itself. Oh no, it couldn't be a conflict with some BS haxie on my computer! No! It's gotta Apple's fault!

Heh.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 01:19 PM

So typical of a large amount of recent topics. Someone tries an app, it doesn't work correctly and it's 'crap', 'useless' and other derogatory adjectives. Then everyon chimes in that it works fine for them.

How about, you ask if others are experiencing an issue, or ask a question rather then blasting an app in a manner in which the topic is more stating your opinion on the finality of the product then asking for assistance.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Works flawlessly for me.

It always makes me laugh when people have trouble with a piece of software, and immediately blame the software itself. Oh no, it couldn't be a conflict with some BS haxie on my computer! No! It's gotta Apple's fault!

Heh.
Exactly, see above.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

MojoRising022  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2003, 01:40 PM

iSync works, but not as it should for me. I have read all the documentation, posted in forums, aked questions, etc

I am using a Palm m515, an iPod, a t68i, .mac and have a tower and a laptop. I don't get errors and the sync always complete, but I get duplicate calendars now and then (no idea why)...always get conflicts with addresses when they are updated on one device, but not the other - and I have to resolve the same conflict time and time again (and I only use iSync to sync with devices using the desktop). Everything works fine if you use your devices as read-only.

I am mostly annoyed with the little things...which there are plenty of:

-why don't my address books pictures make it to my phone?

-why can't I only include the contacts I want, like I can with the calendars?

-why do I lose my ability to retain categorization of contacts and events on the palm? This is an enormous inconvenience to me. The palm really seems to get the ass end of using this program.

I know it is only a 1.0 release, but in muy estimation and in my experience (and look on the support site - lots of other folks concur)...it's not a good peice of software. I'll wait and see what it looks like in the future and make a call then.

Colddiver2
Jan 6, 2003, 04:51 PM

I too had a whole bunch of errors (especially with my Palm) when synching. I did an install over the Beta.

After reading some other posts, I decided to give it another try. I used the "locate" command in the terminal (locate iSync) to find where iSync stuff was installed (make sure your locate database is up to date - use Mac Janitor "All Tasks" if unsure or update it manually via terminal). I deleted everything (including preferences) and reinstalled the 1.0 version. For some reason, my devices were all available after reloading (must have forgot to delete something). I chose to reset all devices and everything works perfectly since then (although I have yet to try it again after a reboot).

I have:
- an iPod
- a Palm m505 (via infrared since craddle was left at home)
- a Sony Ericsson T68i phone (I sync both contact and calendar events/to-do items)
- .Mac sync turned on

My suggestion to everyone having difficulties would be to perform a clean install such as this.

I doubt iSync problems are due to hacks and other things alike. My system is quite modified (themes, swap partition moved, journalling turned on, etc.) and it works fine now.

Good luck!

Colddiver

Faith, indeed, has up to the present not been able to move real mountains.... But it can put mountains where there are none.

- Friedrich Nietzche

higuy83
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Mine also works fine with 2 computers, .Mac and a T68i.
Ditto.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 06:57 PM

I've not had trouble with iSync, which works flawlessly. However the Erricson Client which lets you download pictures to the t68i doesn't recognize it at all. I don't know why. I also am not quite sure how to let the t68i access the internet using the Mac's internet connection. Anyone figure that out?

If iSync isn't working well it may also be your Bluetooth adaptor and not necessarily a software problem. It took a little tweaking on my part to get it to work. It turned out that my devices, which were under the table, weren't "seeing" the bluetooth transmitter on my Mac.

hellohello1
Jan 6, 2003, 11:31 PM

works great--mac to mac, and mac to ipod

Forum Links
Forum Rules