Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > XML Editors

XML Editors
MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 11:00 AM

I am looking for a full-featured XML editor. There are a ton of great options on the PC side, but nothing earth-shattering it seems for the Mac.

I can always use BBEdit, EMacs, or vi, but I am looking for something with more automation and a decent UI.

I spent a few hours working with Oxygen XML Editor and while it has all the features I would like to have and then some, I find the interface clunky and the overall responsiveness quite slow.

Anything out there I should take a look at?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
I am looking for a full-featured XML editor. There are a ton of great options on the PC side, but nothing earth-shattering it seems for the Mac.

I can always use BBEdit, EMacs, or vi, but I am looking for something with more automation and a decent UI.

I spent a few hours working with Oxygen XML Editor and while it has all the features I would like to have and then some, I find the interface clunky and the overall responsiveness quite slow.

Anything out there I should take a look at?
I think that if you're looking for a "full-featured" editor with a decent UI and you haven't found one yet by searching VersionTracker and Google... then it would seem like there are none for OSX.

Maybe there's one for X11?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 12:37 PM

Well, on the KDE front there's kxmleditor, also - of course! - available as a Fink package. Haven't tried it personally, however...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 01:02 PM

Nothing along the lines of XMLSpy unfortunately (and they have no plans of making a port)... there's a definite market gap here.

Will kxmleditor even run on X (via X11, etc)?

I've yet ot find anything half as good as XMLSpy - it's the sole reason I keep Virtual PC on my notbook...
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
Nothing along the lines of XMLSpy unfortunately (and they have no plans of making a port)... there's a definite market gap here.

I've yet ot find anything half as good as XMLSpy - it's the sole reason I keep Virtual PC on my notbook...
Sven G posted above you saying that there is a kxmledit package available in Fink... So yeah, it looks like it runs on OSX. Unfortunately I, too, have not tried it.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 01:11 PM

But of course!

Being a Fink package, it's easy (just tried it myself):

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install kxmleditor

... Which, BTW, gives you the "stable" 0.8.1 release; it indeed works with Apple's X11, even without starting the whole KDE environment (which it would be better to install before, anyway, of course), simply by typing kxmleditor & in the xterm...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 01:13 PM

Very cool - I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the tip

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 01:43 PM

Nothing along the lines of XMLSpy unfortunately (and they have no plans of making a port)
That's a real shame, I'd probably buy it in a second.

How does it run in VPC?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 01:55 PM

How does it run in VPC?
Slowly - at least on my setup. I don't even bother for simple or lightly formatted docs, but it gets the job done for complex schemas, etc. and the inline XSLT previews. I'm sort of in the habit of dealing with the speed hit while I'm getting schemas and XSLTs defined, then closing out and doing a lot of copy & paste in TextEdit or Dreamweaver to make the time back up on the actual XML.

I only run it this way on my notebook when I'm on the road - so it may not be as annoying on a newer machine or desktop (I'm still running a Ti400 for my notebook). Of course, Spy isn't exactly spry - even on one of the quick Athlons at the office - so it may not be a speed demon on any setup with VPC.

Kind of annoying, but I deal with it as I haven't found anything else as powerful... I've sent countless letters of inquiry about an OS X port to no avail

Forum Links
Forum Rules