Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PUMA details?

PUMA details?
MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2001, 02:01 PM

Check out www.appleonlooker.com....they have some info on Puma and what we can expect. Take this info how you will...despite my inclination to distrust all rumors on this type of site, it is interesting and seems plausible...the big question is then when will we see it??

Have a wonderful day folks.

[gzl: fixed link]

[This message has been edited by gorgonzola (edited 04-30-2001).]

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 02:23 PM

Tomorrow, at least that's what he thinks.

------------------
"Ein kleiner Mensch stirbt - nur zum Schein"
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

jagga
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
Check out www.appleonlooker.com....they have some info on Puma and what we can expect. Take this info how you will...despite my inclination to distrust all rumors on this type of site, it is interesting and seems plausible...the big question is then when will we see it??

Have a wonderful day folks.
hehe, u messed up your URL there dude. I'll fix it for ya

http://<a href="http://www.appleonlo...looker.com</a>

regards
jagga

limbotron
Apr 30, 2001, 03:35 PM

something weird is going on with the html on that page. I just see a grey screen (in both netscape and ie), but if I drag, I can drag images around.

jagga
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by limbotron:
something weird is going on with the html on that page. I just see a grey screen (in both netscape and ie), but if I drag, I can drag images around.
same problem here. The server was down earlier. Now server is up but html is all screwed up.

jagga

apple///
Apr 30, 2001, 03:42 PM

I had the same problem. use icab. Seems like speculation... I'm skeptical

Here's the info for the lazy:

Puma Details Leaked!
Posted Monday, April 30th 2001 by daniel
We've received some unconfirmed information about the latest builds of Puma. Development of Mac OS X is still set in high gear, so don't think 4L13 is the best Apple can do.

The build number is still unknown, however the latest developments of this release are listed below:

��Includes the latest version of Darwin (1.4)
� Quartz Engine updated so more parts of the operating system are accellerated by the GPU
��More graphics cards supported (The graphics cards which this build supports is unknown)
��Includes an updated version of Internet Connect, System Preferences, Internet Explorer, and Mail.
��Panes have minor cosmetic changes and have more options (such as Sound having Speaker Testing),
� Drivers, Drivers, Drivers!!! Apple is hard at work programming drivers for lots of different devices.
� Input Sprocket. It is rumoured that a version of Input Sprocket is in developedment for Mac OS X.

The General pane has been renamed to Appearance, and contains more options to customize your computer. However, still only Graphite and Blue remain as the only accent colours.

We warn you that this is unconfirmed info, so don't treat it as a press release.

skin
Apr 30, 2001, 04:18 PM

I doubt this for one reason.
It claims Inputsprockets is being updated.
Didn't Apple say a year ago that Inputsprockets where dead, being replaced with .kext files or something?
The rest of it seems believable, but I would think Apple wouldn't spent so long developing PUMA if it was nothing but Cheetah with new drivers.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2001, 04:25 PM

GameSprockets have been discontinued; they've been replaced by the HID Manager, which some people are peeved about (rightfully so) because stuff like InputSprocket provided more functionality. HID Manager is not quite as good for developing games, I believe, although the end result in OS X is that games run better (optimized OpenGL, etc -- assuming you have a supported card).

I don't know about this stuff ... people tend to make up info off the top of their head in a Ryan Meader-esque way when it comes to OS X news. I'll believe it when Steve tells me himself.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 04:46 PM

One thing about Puma to keep in mind: if you're out for a walk and you spot one, walk away slowly and don't even think of climbing the nearest
tree because they can climb trees better than humans can. They're very
likely faster than humans too so don't try to run.

Oh. Wrong puma. Sorry.

jagga
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
One thing about Puma to keep in mind: if you're out for a walk and you spot one, walk away slowly and don't even think of climbing the nearest

Oh. Wrong puma. Sorry.
haha, that explains a lot

jagga

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:

Oh. Wrong puma. Sorry.
That joke has been beaten to death.
-------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
That joke has been beaten to death.
Cruelty to animals!!!
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Anonymous
May 1, 2001, 12:58 AM

Apple has publicly stated that InputSprockets is dead. NetSprocket isn't supported anymore either, but the functionality is there with OpenPlay which runs on OS X. DrawSprocket is emsasculated at best, not all the functionality is there yet. But the loss of InputSprockets is probably the worst here.

Apple could do so much more by releasing *documentation* for the APIs than releasing further system updates. Developers can't develop unless they have the explanations for things like HID Manager. This isn't there yet, so no one (except Omni and other developers who have cushier relationships with Apple) has even preliminary documentation on it. Apple is working on this, but this is currently my biggest frustration. HID Manager and lack of documentation on CoreGraphics. TN2007 doesn't quite cut it. Sample code please? PLEASE? Is this too much to ask?

-- slightly peeved developer

Lord Kronos
Senior User
May 1, 2001, 10:30 AM

"Apple Press Event Today
Posted Tuesday, May 1th 2001 by daniel

An Apple Press event is to be held today at the Flint Centre in California off Apple's campus.

As reported in previous Apple OnLooker reports, new iBooks, a brand new education strategy (PowerSchool), and an updated version of Mac OS X code named 'Puma'.

More news will be posted as it comes in."

We'll know if he's right in a few hours.

------------------
"Resistance is futile"
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules