Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video clip download question...

Video clip download question...
KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 01:13 PM

I notice when I download a video clip from the Internet the clip does go through a download process which takes only a few seconds but when I click to open the downloaded clip I get a text form that looks almost like chinese symbols. The text looks similar to this except it's alot longer "0&≤uéfœ¶Ÿ". I even downloaded a windows media player for Mac and when I open it I'm getting the same crazy looking text. I downloaded a real player and when I click to open that I get the player so that works but all the video clips I've downloaded result in the same crazy text everytime I open them. Why is this happening?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 01:16 PM

Try adding the correct filename extensions to the files you downloaded. Might be .mp4, might be .flv, might be .avi, might be .wmv, might be something else. That depends.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 01:28 PM

Most of the files I've downloaded have been wmv. Everytime I click to open them I'm getting this incredibly long text with all kinds of symbols. When I had my PC and downloaded a video clip it would play on my real player. This has me puzzled.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 01:44 PM

If you get this text in Safari hold down the Option key (⌥) when you clock on the download link to force it to download. If you get this text in an text editor when you open the movie in Finder make sure you have the correct filename extension.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
If you get this text in Safari hold down the Option key (⌥) when you clock on the download link to force it to download. If you get this text in an text editor when you open the movie in Finder make sure you have the correct filename extension.
I tried that but it didn't work. Still getting that strange text. The video clips are completely downloaded but when I open them I get that crazy text with all the symbols. I downloaded windows media player for mac and also got that strange text with symbols when I opened that.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2008, 07:04 AM

Which application do they open in?

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2008, 06:52 PM

They never really opened. I downloaded the video clips while on Safari and after the download was complete I clicked to open them. Instead of seeing the video clip a window popped open with this strange looking text full of writing and symbols. I have all these downloaded video clips in my download section. Everytime I double click to open the video clips the same window pops open with this LONG senseless text. Quicktime video's will play but none of the video clips that require downloading will play when I click to open them.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2008, 07:12 PM

Okay, more to the point on which application opens when trying to view them…

When you double-click one of the files to open it and you get the "window … with this strange looking text full of writing and symbols" look at your menu bar (across the top of the screen.) What is the active application's name?

You could also try right-clicking on one of the files and selecting Open With.

Also, make sure there is no trailing "." after the extension.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2008, 04:55 PM

UPDATE: I figured out the problem. I downloaded an AVI player now all the video clips that were opening up into this weird text form are now playing on this player. Just stumbled on to it. You learn something new everyday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules