Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Favorite X Apps?

Favorite X Apps?
MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2001, 06:59 PM

In the absence of major software releases, it seems the only apps worth getting excited about are shareware/freeware. Of all the programs I have purchased since I began using X (pre-public beta), all but one has been a small, reasonably priced shareware app.

I hope this is what we have to look forward to in the furture..it is these apps that will hopefully close the gap between macs and pc's (maybe just a little).

Of note, I'd have to reommend: Windowshade X, LaunchBar, Watson, Snapz Pro, anything by OmniGroup, Adium, Fire, and, of course, Graphic Converter, The most expensive of these costs about $60 - OmniGraffle)....not too bad at all.

What has caught your attention amongst the heap of shareware and freeware that has come out since March?

Leonis
Senior User
Dec 17, 2001, 07:16 PM

Aren't Lightwave, Cinema, Maya, Freehand, Illustrator, Office, Painter majoy apps???????
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

MojoRising022  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2001, 07:46 PM

They are, but so is Photoshop, GoLive, InDesign, Pagemaker, Acrobat, Framemaker, QuarkXPress, Fireworks, Dreamweaver/Ultra Dev, Director, Flash, Palm Desktop, and Real Player...I think you get the point, though....Major releases have been few and far between and a lot of the apps we have come to rely on professionally over the last couple of years are not yet carbonized.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 05:36 PM

Definately Fire. The latest version does automatic language translation. Very cool. I showed a friend and he wished he had bought a PowerBook instead of the Sony Vaio.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:00 PM

Dragthing rulez

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2001, 06:32 PM

This seems kinda dorky, but I actually went os X for the unix apps. The most used app I have is Gaussian. Then some of the modeling/visualization software that runs under the X environment.

I bought MS Office v.X because I could still get an academic discount. I haven't really used it much. (My wife likes the new word, but it's a little slow.)

I would love a copy of chemdraw/chem 3d that ran native OS X.

I'm still trying to find/compile the best opensource/free 3d visualization program for small molecules. Any tips or help would, of course, be appreciated.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules