Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > help with gaming mouse for Mac

help with gaming mouse for Mac
jameser54
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2009, 08:22 AM

i have always used the mouse that comes with my macs, so i use the mighty mouse. Its a great mouse, how ever i have had if for...maybe a year now and i have had to take it apart to clean the tracking ball 7-8 times now. It gets to the point where it just will not work. the Right and left top buttons are flaky and i really have to press hard to get a click.

I am not a super gamer, i just play WoW (world of warcraft). I PvE and PvP. just wondering what a casual user would get for a mouse. I am a complete noob here dont know anything about mouse specs.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 09:52 AM

Razer make good gaming mice. They have a Mac specific one, but I can't remember which one.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2009, 06:44 PM

Logitech Revolution series are pretty great. I've never had luck with wireless mice and games.
we don't have time to stop for gas

reader50
Administrator
Dec 25, 2009, 09:08 PM

Logitech MX518 gaming mouse.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2009, 10:18 PM

I just bought a Microsoft Sidewinder X8. Will let you know how it is.
we don't have time to stop for gas

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2009, 04:25 PM

Try the Razer Deathadder. I bought the Mac Edition earlier this year and have had great results. It uses their 3G Infrared sensor (not laser) but tracking is excellent: 1800dpi and 1000Hz ultra polling. You can change sensitivity on the fly by pushing down on the wheel while scrolling - VERY smooth! It is right-handed w/2 programmable side buttons. The driver software is highly configurable. Can't say enough positive about this mouse!

Razer recently released Mac-drivers for some of their Laser based mice as well. Due to my excellent experience with the Deathadder, I recently bought their new notebook laser mouse - the Ororchi. The Orochi is not Mac-specific but has Mac drivers for download.

The Orochi tracks excellent via built-in Bluetooth (no dongle needed) or direct w/USB. Tho the highest tracking is USB-only (4000dpi, 1000Hz ultrapolling). The shape of the Orochi takes some getting use to. When you try to lift it during gameplay, it feels like it wants to fall out of your hand. It works best if you tip it left or right, then slide to relocate the mouse. I got use to that but the side buttons feel a little too low-profile for me. I prefer slightly taller side buttons. The Orochi is a symmetrical design. So it works great for both left and right handers. It also changes res on the fly with 2 side buttons.

Of the 2 the Deathadder is my fav despite the Infrared sensor. It has nothing to do with tracking, the shape of the Deathadder just "feels" better during game play. Of course the Orochi was designed as a notebook mouse and is much more compact. So I'm comparing Apples to Oranges here But those are the only 2 Razer mice I've used. Previously, my fav mouse was the Logitech MX320 (symmetrical) tho it never tracked nearly as well as my 2 Razer mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules