Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A Good Graphic Editor?

A Good Graphic Editor?
MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 11:07 AM

There seems to be multiple programs to do everything in X, but there doesn't seem to be a single, viable, graphics editor out there at this point.

I have had a terrible time using Fireworks in Classic...it crashes constantly and brings Classic down with it. It doesn't look like Macromedia will deliver an OS X native version of Fireworks in the foreseeable future and in the interim, I'd rather use something in X, even it is less powerful, than struggle with Fireworks in Classic. I can always boot back into 9, I know, but it seems so ancient after using X for the past year or so.

Basically, what I need is a intermediate level program geared towards web work. Can someone please give me some ideas here please?

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 11:38 AM

GraphicConverter? Link

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: ablaze ]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: ablaze ]

-Q-
Dec 4, 2001, 12:17 PM

Wake up the GIMP.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 04:20 PM

Why don't U use TIFFany??? it has been out there since the begging of time really powerful and has functions that photoshop copied over the time. It was used by the NASA for the Hubble space telescope project and by The warner animation studios...

check it out, preview version available
Caffeine Software

And it is 100% pure cocoa!!!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

bluetooth
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2001, 04:36 PM

at the mo I use GraphicConverter it does my needs though I miss phtoshop ( i try not to use classic ), one of these days I am going to download Xdarwin etc. so I can use other apps like GIMP
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 08:04 PM

I forgot to mention that you can open psd files with TIFFany, which is really great!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

benh57
Senior User
Dec 5, 2001, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Bouba:
<STRONG>I forgot to mention that you can open psd files with TIFFany, which is really great! </STRONG>
You can open PSD apps in any Cocoa app which uses NSImage, even Preview I believe.

as far as editors, there is also Create - http://www.stone.com/

-Ben
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

<McLain Causey>
Dec 9, 2001, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
<STRONG>There seems to be multiple programs to do everything in X, but there doesn't seem to be a single, viable, graphics editor out there at this point.

Basically, what I need is a intermediate level program geared towards web work. Can someone please give me some ideas here please?</STRONG>
I'll echo sentiments already posted: GraphicConverter, one of the best deals out there, and the Gimp, THE best deal out there (free!) You may find xv useful as well (though I personally don't!)

There's also ImageMagick (anyone have any opinions?) which I believe is a command line editor. It too is free, but I haven't yet looked at it.

I find that Fireworks/Dreamweaver 4.0, Flash 5.0a, Photoshop 5.5, Office 2001 and innumerable other Classic apps run fine (often simultaneously), and I only have 228 MB of RAM. I am relatively good about keeping my system software updated (for someone without broadband). Perhaps you should upgrade? I think 9.2.2 is supposed to be more stable, though Classic was running fine for me both before and after the installation. You definately need to make sure you have 10.1.x at least.

I know nothing about it, but Corel has a bunch of stuff out for X now. I'd research their offerings as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules