Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tips on "dealing" with Apple Store employees?

Tips on "dealing" with Apple Store employees?
inEarNest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 10:48 AM

I'm planning on hitting the Apple Store on Friday to buy my first Powerbook. I was searching through some old threads about prices people paid for their powerbooks, and many said basically that they got the store employees to give them a deal or add software or whatever to "make the sale." This would be very nice--even a couple hundred dollars.

My question is what are some good things to say? I've always been *horrible* about trying to make deals with people. I feel as though I'm trying to pull a fast one on them by even trying to get a deal--which I understand is not the case at all--but that's what keeps me from being good at it. I just don't bother.

This is quite an investment for me, however, and I would like to try and save some money somehow. I've already asked everyone I know at various universities they attend to see if they have an educational discount, but that has yielded no results. My brother is getting an educational discount on his because he's still in school, but he can only use that once.

Tips on some cool/persuasive-yet-nice things to say/request/etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-sae
"Oh, I get it...It's very clever. How's that working out for you...being clever?"

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 12:54 PM

is getting a deal even possible at the Apple store? They're not commissioned IIRC, and every time i'm in there they have to get a manager to approve/change anything. I'm going to get a new PowerMac this week so I'd be interested in hearing too. What have others had them do to "make the sale?"

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 01:13 PM

yea most of the ones i have met are complete morons... you should throw some sort of shiny object across the store, then check yourself out... at least that is what i would do

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 01:19 PM

regardless if employees are non-commissioned there is always pressure to meet goals like accessories, extended warranties, etc. i currently work in retail and on slow days, managers will typically do whatever to get additional revenue even if it means lowering prices of items a lot. i suspect the same would happen in an apple store. i would say it highly depends on the manager who is there. if you purchase the extended warranties, applecare in this case, you might have a higher chance of getting some prices lowered.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by flanders:
is getting a deal even possible at the Apple store? They're not commissioned IIRC, and every time i'm in there they have to get a manager to approve/change anything. I'm going to get a new PowerMac this week so I'd be interested in hearing too. What have others had them do to "make the sale?"
i recently went to an apple store to attempt this. my tactic was that i planned on buying a new imac 17, a 12" pb and a 15" pb right then. i told the employee that the ability to get away without paying sales tax was my concern and i was curious as to whether we could make any deal that would balance out the price difference.

her response was inline with the typical brainless stuff i have always gotten from apple store employees. she said that everyone has to charge sales tax. i reminded her that pretty much everywhere has a moretorium on internet taxes. she said that they had to charge sales tax, i said i know.... so how about a price break before sales tax equivilent to the sales tax, or maybe some software and hardware of equal value given to me for free. she said no way.

i then put it to her that she could either make a sale at that very moment for many thousands of dollars, or have me leave the store and go online to give it to another company. she brilliantly chose the latter.

i tried this a few times, each time talking to the manager, whom i figured would be the only one who could make the call. brilliant sales strategy. good luck to anyone who tries... hope you can wake them up to reality.

WebMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 02:01 PM

God, i'm suprised at how ignorant you people are of Apple Store employees. You obviously feel that you are above them and that you should get special treatment because of it. They are not morons. They are people who give their time to help regular people learn what the Mac can do and how it an make their life easier. If you want to save a few bucks, go online. If you want to support Apple, then pay full price at an Apple Store.

grow up, people.

williamgoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
i recently went to an apple store to attempt this. my tactic was that i planned on buying a new imac 17, a 12" pb and a 15" pb right then. i told the employee that the ability to get away without paying sales tax was my concern and i was curious as to whether we could make any deal that would balance out the price difference.

her response was inline with the typical brainless stuff i have always gotten from apple store employees. she said that everyone has to charge sales tax. i reminded her that pretty much everywhere has a moretorium on internet taxes. she said that they had to charge sales tax, i said i know.... so how about a price break before sales tax equivilent to the sales tax, or maybe some software and hardware of equal value given to me for free. she said no way.

i then put it to her that she could either make a sale at that very moment for many thousands of dollars, or have me leave the store and go online to give it to another company. she brilliantly chose the latter.

i tried this a few times, each time talking to the manager, whom i figured would be the only one who could make the call. brilliant sales strategy. good luck to anyone who tries... hope you can wake them up to reality.
How is this employee not being "brilliant"? Why is it not a "brilliant sales strategy"? Because you didn't want to pay what every one else pays? IMO they should be applauded for staying consistant with their policies and not succumbing to a leetch like yourself who's too cheap to pay market price for something. Everyone else plays by the rules, why shouldn't you?

DaveG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 02:35 PM

Ok, weather they may be willing or not to make deals with people, YOU will never get a deal acting like that. Are you a car salesman or something? You will never get any kind of deal if you act like a dick to the salesperson. Speaking down to someone doesn't make them very willing to help you out. Like the last person said... if you all think that you are so above the apple employees and that they are not worthy of your business, or are so incredibly stupid... then DON"T do business with them. Better yet, get a job there and show them how it should be done. It may be hard for you to understand, but the world does not revolve around you and there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't pay the same price that everyone else does just because you are a cheapskate. Get a dell!

David

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 03:41 PM

So where did you finally buy these 3 Macs from??

inEarNest  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 03:46 PM

If I seemed to imply that I thought the Apple employees were morons of whom I should take advantage, I sincerely apologize. I was only asking if discounts could be had and how to find them. If not, no big deal at all. I definitely wouldn't hassle them.
"Oh, I get it...It's very clever. How's that working out for you...being clever?"

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 04:02 PM

Quote:

"I'm planning on hitting the Apple Store on Friday to buy my first Powerbook. I was searching through some old threads about prices people paid for their powerbooks, and many said basically that they got the store employees to give them a deal or add software or whatever to "make the sale." This would be very nice--even a couple hundred dollars.
My question is what are some good things to say? I've always been *horrible* about trying to make deals with people. I feel as though I'm trying to pull a fast one on them by even trying to get a deal--which I understand is not the case at all--but that's what keeps me from being good at it. I just don't bother."

I would say the minimum you should ask for when buying a 15-incher is a USb-mouse for free (of course not a high-end optical one) and AppleWorks for free. I never did understand why they ship AW for free on the iBooks and want to make money with it when selling a Ti?!??! AW should be part of the free i-apps!

I did so and i got them both for free

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Helvetica Neue
Mar 12, 2003, 04:34 PM

One of the best investment with buying a powerbook is Applecare. Ask them to throw in free Applecare. I've never gotten it completely free, but always at substantial discount...

And remember, Applecare means guaranteed working powerbook for 3 years and better treatment and support when having to get in touch with Apple.
Always on the run...

JasonBourne
Mar 12, 2003, 04:41 PM

I received an e-mail from apple yesterday that you can get $100.00 off for purchased of $999.00 and up.

Originally posted by inEarNest:
I'm planning on hitting the Apple Store on Friday to buy my first Powerbook. I was searching through some old threads about prices people paid for their powerbooks, and many said basically that they got the store employees to give them a deal or add software or whatever to "make the sale." This would be very nice--even a couple hundred dollars.

My question is what are some good things to say? I've always been *horrible* about trying to make deals with people. I feel as though I'm trying to pull a fast one on them by even trying to get a deal--which I understand is not the case at all--but that's what keeps me from being good at it. I just don't bother.

This is quite an investment for me, however, and I would like to try and save some money somehow. I've already asked everyone I know at various universities they attend to see if they have an educational discount, but that has yielded no results. My brother is getting an educational discount on his because he's still in school, but he can only use that once.

Tips on some cool/persuasive-yet-nice things to say/request/etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-sae

JasonBourne
Mar 12, 2003, 04:47 PM

I saw PB 12 at Apple Store Oakbrook that was sold for less since somebody returned the item.
Originally posted by euphras:
Quote:

"I'm planning on hitting the Apple Store on Friday to buy my first Powerbook. I was searching through some old threads about prices people paid for their powerbooks, and many said basically that they got the store employees to give them a deal or add software or whatever to "make the sale." This would be very nice--even a couple hundred dollars.
My question is what are some good things to say? I've always been *horrible* about trying to make deals with people. I feel as though I'm trying to pull a fast one on them by even trying to get a deal--which I understand is not the case at all--but that's what keeps me from being good at it. I just don't bother."

I would say the minimum you should ask for when buying a 15-incher is a USb-mouse for free (of course not a high-end optical one) and AppleWorks for free. I never did understand why they ship AW for free on the iBooks and want to make money with it when selling a Ti?!??! AW should be part of the free i-apps!

I did so and i got them both for free

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 05:27 PM

LOL! You make it sound like they are donating their time or something.

Originally posted by WebMonkey:
They are people who give their time to help regular people learn what the Mac can do and how it an make their life easier. If you want to save a few bucks, go online. If you want to support Apple, then pay full price at an Apple Store.

grow up, people.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by williamgoody:
How is this employee not being "brilliant"? Why is it not a "brilliant sales strategy"? Because you didn't want to pay what every one else pays? IMO they should be applauded for staying consistant with their policies and not succumbing to a leetch like yourself who's too cheap to pay market price for something. Everyone else plays by the rules, why shouldn't you?
first off, it's spelled leech. now let's move on...

here is business 101 buddy: close the deal. that is how all companies make their money. apple maintains the highest margins in the computer industry while losing market share. for those of you who have no business experience the bottom line resides in making money, not holding ground against people who aren't "playing by the rules", of which there are none outside of making money.

am i too cheap? not likely since i ended up buying my equipment from someone else who waived tax. take notice that other vendors have lower prices, which implies that i pay what many other pay.

stop blindly defending a company that is trying to make money off of you. apple is a business and a good one- they make good product that i buy.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by DaveG4:
Ok, weather they may be willing or not to make deals with people, YOU will never get a deal acting like that. Are you a car salesman or something? You will never get any kind of deal if you act like a dick to the salesperson. Speaking down to someone doesn't make them very willing to help you out. Like the last person said... if you all think that you are so above the apple employees and that they are not worthy of your business, or are so incredibly stupid... then DON"T do business with them. Better yet, get a job there and show them how it should be done. It may be hard for you to understand, but the world does not revolve around you and there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't pay the same price that everyone else does just because you are a cheapskate. Get a dell!

David
what the hell are you talking about? acting like what?!?! where are you getting an idea of how i spoke with these people? speaking down to someone you are trying to make a deal with is absolutely foolish and not something i ever do.

get a job eh? could you be more presumptuous? how do wealthy people make their money? by not being stupid with it.

you assertions here are seriously ignorant. you should think before you speak.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
So where did you finally buy these 3 Macs from??
macmall. everything turned out great.

todrain
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 08:07 PM

first off, it's spelled leech. now let's move on...

here is business 101 buddy: close the deal. that is how all companies make their money. apple maintains the highest margins in the computer industry while losing market share. for those of you who have no business experience the bottom line resides in making money, not holding ground against people who aren't "playing by the rules", of which there are none outside of making money.

am i too cheap? not likely since i ended up buying my equipment from someone else who waived tax. take notice that other vendors have lower prices, which implies that i pay what many other pay.

stop blindly defending a company that is trying to make money off of you. apple is a business and a good one- they make good product that i buy.

Do you know anything about sales tax? Apple does not pocket any of it, the entire amount goes to the government. Currently, internet sites are exempt, but it appears that soon they too may be charging tax on purchases.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 08:20 PM

Better yet, get a job there and show them how it should be done. It may be hard for you to understand, but the world does not revolve around you and there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't pay the same price that everyone else does just because you are a cheapskate. Get a dell!
These are some pretty caustic remarks when the guy is just trying to get a deal.
To the fellow who said "everyone else plays by the rules," it is not against the rules to haggle. In fact, it's fun and it leaves everyone satisfied. I worked in electronics sales for a year myself and broke all kinds of store sales records precisely because I wasn't afraid to make a deal happened. I didn't waste time holding an artificial price line. Why? Because the second that person walks out the door, the odds of their coming back drop dramatically. Better to send them out the door with product then and there, if they are willing to fork over the cash, than to let them walk out.

And you know what? While my profit margins were never tops in the store, my profit dollars routinely topped the charts. And my volume was unbelievable.

Now, Apple Store employees may be under strict orders not to give price breaks. I don't know myself. But I'll tell you that I have bought my last several PowerBooks from Apple Authorized resellers and have gotten deals that most of you would consider to be ridiculously good and impossible. It's all about doing your homework, knowing what you're doing, and getting a person who knows what they are doing (and has the flexibility to do something about it).

Ultimately, it is in the interests of both the buyer and the consumer to close a sale. A retailer (or worse, an independent salesperson) who holds to retail price will inevitably do themselves a disservice because there is always going to be someone out there willing to make a deal and get that sale. Better to take a 15% cut in your profit margin than to take a 100% cut.

And to those of you who have never asked for a deal when buying something expensive...wow. Do you pay full list price for your car too?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 09:47 PM

Without a doubt, buy online. No tax if you pick the right reseller. Bunch of free stuff (RAM, printer, airport, etc.). Overnight shipping to your front door is better than having to drive to the Apple Store, depending on where you live.

Oh, and here's a tip if you're worried about good ol' Apple's profit margins: they still make money when you buy an Apple product from a reseller or from them direct. And if it really was THAT MUCH of a difference in their business plan, they wouldn't be such hard-@sses when negotiating for a better price/freebies when making a several thousand dollar purchase.

Just my thoughts.
Backup your Backup

williamgoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 09:57 PM

You folks don't seem to understand something. There are companies who handle themselves as an "established business" and provide VALUE for what they sell (such as Apple argueably), and there are business' who will haggle with you and not offer anything else (mostly resellers). Apple is a national manufacturer who advertises their prices worldwide. They are not a reseller, nor is the Apple store. If you wanted a deal you should've gone to Macmall or another reseller first instead of trying to be cheap and not paying what Apple advertises.

Business 101 is not "close the deal" pal, it's provide and substantiate what you sell for the price you're asking. If you feel you can't, THEN you haggle. If you feel you can, and satisfy customers and meet their needs, you will be successful.

To the fellow who worked in electronic sales. Did you work for a reseller or the manufacturer? There's a big difference between the two. I've always felt the better salespeople out there didn't need to haggle. I know I never had to, and I was very successful. Wanna know why? I explained and built value in what I was selling, in terms that I knew my company could follow through with.

And cars are a different deal altogether. Everyone knows that.

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by israces:

Oh, and here's a tip if you're worried about good ol' Apple's profit margins: they still make money when you buy an Apple product from a reseller or from them direct. And if it really was THAT MUCH of a difference in their business plan, they wouldn't be such hard-@sses when negotiating for a better price/freebies when making a several thousand dollar purchase.

Just my thoughts.

Finally someone who understands.

Sure for most electronic stores they want to close the deal. If you're not happy with the deal you get at Best Buy, and go shop at CompUSA, then Best Buy has lost a sale. If you're not happy with the deal you get at an Apple retail store, and go shop at macmall, guess what Apple still has the sale (minus whatever small commission macmall gets, which is offset by the fact that Apple saved on distribution costs etc).

You simply can't compare Apple retail stores to non-manufacturer stores. Apple only loses if you buy another brand, not if you buy at another store.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 11:48 PM

You folks don't seem to understand something. There are companies who handle themselves as an "established business" and provide VALUE for what they sell (such as Apple argueably), and there are business' who will haggle with you and not offer anything else (mostly resellers). Apple is a national manufacturer who advertises their prices worldwide. They are not a reseller, nor is the Apple store. If you wanted a deal you should've gone to Macmall or another reseller first instead of trying to be cheap and not paying what Apple advertises.

Business 101 is not "close the deal" pal, it's provide and substantiate what you sell for the price you're asking. If you feel you can't, THEN you haggle. If you feel you can, and satisfy customers and meet their needs, you will be successful.

To the fellow who worked in electronic sales. Did you work for a reseller or the manufacturer? There's a big difference between the two. I've always felt the better salespeople out there didn't need to haggle. I know I never had to, and I was very successful. Wanna know why? I explained and built value in what I was selling, in terms that I knew my company could follow through with.

And cars are a different deal altogether. Everyone knows that.
You sure are an excitable fellow!

You argue that Apple isn't a reseller...that's all well and good, but in world where there are resellers selling precisely the same product, they better act like one. To be honest, I've really never understood the point of buying from the Apple Store anyway. You don't get a better warranty or anything of that sort. I'm not sure what sort of "VALUE" you're referring to; the only thing I can figure is that maybe you work for an Apple store and are miffed at the comments here. If that's not the case, enlighten me.

I worked at a reseller. And you may say you "never had to [haggle]," but then, that was the perspective of many of my coworkers. And I outsold them. The time you wasted in being longwinded and selling "value" to your customers to get them to pay tag price is time you could have spent moving on to the next customer. It's one thing I guess if you don't have a ready supply of customers (that's bad news for business no matter what), but if you can close one and move on to someone else, then by all means it makes sense.

I often wonder why some folks are so diametrically opposed to dropping their pants on price. Done right, everyone benefits. If it's an ego thing...take up chess or something.

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2003, 03:15 PM

I would agree with the poster who said to take advantage of an AppleCare deal. Seems as though everytime I go to the Apple Store to buy a machine, they're always wanting me to take AppleCare with the purchase (understandably). And I might add, in a much nicer fashion than those boobs at CompUSA who won't leave you alone until you're just flat-out rude to them about the "extended replacement warranty."

At the Apple store register, I've virtually gotten them to give away the AppleCare, just to sell it to me. Now it wasn't free, but almost a 60-70% discount, which by all means is a nice deal and worth the extra $ (especially on a powerbook). Now I bet if you made the deal with an "I'll take it with some free AppleCare" you might get a long way for something that really is worth while. As for getting a discount on product though, I've really never seen it done there.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 04:45 PM

God, i'm suprised at how ignorant you people are of Apple Store employees. You obviously feel that you are above them and that you should get special treatment because of it. They are not morons. They are people who give their time to help regular people learn what the Mac can do and how it an make their life easier. If you want to save a few bucks, go online. If you want to support Apple, then pay full price at an Apple Store.

grow up, people.
give me a break... we are consumers, it isnt out job to support apple. I dont think I deserve any special treatment, but that doesnt change the fact that I have heard apple store employees not be able to explain why it is bad if you close a notebook and it doesnt go to sleep...

and like someone said... these people are getting paid and therefore have the responsiblity to have some sort of competence

williamgoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by John123:
You sure are an excitable fellow!

You argue that Apple isn't a reseller...that's all well and good, but in world where there are resellers selling precisely the same product, they better act like one. To be honest, I've really never understood the point of buying from the Apple Store anyway. You don't get a better warranty or anything of that sort. I'm not sure what sort of "VALUE" you're referring to; the only thing I can figure is that maybe you work for an Apple store and are miffed at the comments here. If that's not the case, enlighten me.

I worked at a reseller. And you may say you "never had to [haggle]," but then, that was the perspective of many of my coworkers. And I outsold them. The time you wasted in being longwinded and selling "value" to your customers to get them to pay tag price is time you could have spent moving on to the next customer. It's one thing I guess if you don't have a ready supply of customers (that's bad news for business no matter what), but if you can close one and move on to someone else, then by all means it makes sense.

I often wonder why some folks are so diametrically opposed to dropping their pants on price. Done right, everyone benefits. If it's an ego thing...take up chess or something.
I don't work for Apple. But I can tell you this, I've never not had a steady supply of customers. Wanna know why? Because we sold service, value, and a partnership besides the product, not price. And it's good of you to generalize that I was being "longwinded" with my customers while I could be moving on to the next. I spent no more time with a customer than they needed, whether it be to make a decision or ask questions.

There's nothing funnier to me than a salesman who seemingly hangs his hat on selling by haggling on the price. That doesn't take skill.

Apple has value potentially at the store level by being able to potentially take the product home there and then. Not all resellers have that. Don't need it in such a fashion and want to "get a better deal"?Fine, maybe somewhere else can help you. Apple also has value at the store level by being a resource for troubleshooting, repairs, etc. Whether they live up to this or not is up to interpretation. Am I saying they're worth it at the store level? Maybe, maybe not.The potential is there.

Malaclypse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 05:46 PM

I always haggle with our Apple sellers, but I do purchase for a business and buy lots of machines. God I get great deals.

inEarnest: It never hurts to haggle. Just seem uncertain about the purchase or pretend you are switcher who doesn't think they really need a mac or maybe suggest you will buy cheaper machines but act uncertain about that and hint that you really want the higher model you came in for. If you make the saleperson try to sell you hard and work at convincing you, you can wear them down and get a break from them in many cases.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 05:52 PM

I don't work for Apple. But I can tell you this, I've never not had a steady supply of customers. Wanna know why? Because we sold service, value, and a partnership besides the product, not price. And it's good of you to generalize that I was being "longwinded" with my customers while I could be moving on to the next. I spent no more time with a customer than they needed, whether it be to make a decision or ask questions.

There's nothing funnier to me than a salesman who seemingly hangs his hat on selling by haggling on the price. That doesn't take skill.

Apple has value potentially at the store level by being able to potentially take the product home there and then. Not all resellers have that. Don't need it in such a fashion and want to "get a better deal"?Fine, maybe somewhere else can help you. Apple also has value at the store level by being a resource for troubleshooting, repairs, etc. Whether they live up to this or not is up to interpretation. Am I saying they're worth it at the store level? Maybe, maybe not.The potential is there.
You're one of those people who sees sales as an art. I'm guessing you're middle aged, yes?

Well I'll tell you, when I worked that job in sales fresh out of high school and made paychecks much, much larger than my coworkers, there were a lot of middle aged people who flat-out didn't like me. They, like you, saw sales as an art and believed in this notion of selling "value." And as a result, I moved more product than them and brought home fatter checks than them -- even shattering store and regional sales records.

If you have an approach that works for you, great. If you think it's "funny" that folks like me are willing to haggle on price, great. Laugh all you like...but it's the people like me who laugh all the way to the bank.

williamgoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by John123:
You're one of those people who sees sales as an art. I'm guessing you're middle aged, yes?

Well I'll tell you, when I worked that job in sales fresh out of high school and made paychecks much, much larger than my coworkers, there were a lot of middle aged people who flat-out didn't like me. They, like you, saw sales as an art and believed in this notion of selling "value." And as a result, I moved more product than them and brought home fatter checks than them -- even shattering store and regional sales records.

If you have an approach that works for you, great. If you think it's "funny" that folks like me are willing to haggle on price, great. Laugh all you like...but it's the people like me who laugh all the way to the bank.
Maybe in the short term pal, but definitely not in the long term.

Do you want to get behind me in line at the bank?

I don't see it as an art, I see it as selling quality. I think long term and the substancial buck, not short term and the quick buck.

And no I am not middle aged. How's 34 grab you? You're getting good at these "generalizations" aren't you?

But hey, no ill will. If you have a system that works for you and your customers are happy, good for you, much success. We happen to agree to disagree. It's all good.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 09:34 PM

Maybe in the short term pal, but definitely not in the long term.

Do you want to get behind me in line at the bank?

I don't see it as an art, I see it as selling quality. I think long term and the substancial buck, not short term and the quick buck.

And no I am not middle aged. How's 34 grab you? You're getting good at these "generalizations" aren't you?

But hey, no ill will. If you have a system that works for you and your customers are happy, good for you, much success. We happen to agree to disagree. It's all good.
Haha, I can't believe you are going to start an "I make more than you" pissing contest. I'm sure you do fine for yourself, but I'll take my odds when it comes to my resume versus another stranger's any day. And that extends to the bank, too.

34 doesn't surprise me. My only real point was that you are quite a bit older than me and thus have different notions of selling.

williamgoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 10:16 PM

Wasn't it you that gave the "laughing all the way to the bank" line? Inferring that I wouldn't be? That's what I was replying to. not starting a "pissing contest". I wasn't the one braging about how I was outselling my peers. bringing home fatter checks, and breaking records.

I don't know how much you make, nor does it matter to me. Believe what you want about what I make, our incomes have nothing to do with the discussion. Someday you might understand what I've learned about sales, it might matter to you or not. I'm happy you're successful at what you do, and hopefully happy as well. Everyone should be.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 11:27 PM

This is getting pointless. I said I was laughing all the way to the bank, yep. I didn't say anything about what you did on your way to the bank.

If you're happy, great. Like you said, everyone should be that way.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 11:39 PM

grow up, people.
Actually, most of them are. Only ones that work there that I have respect for are the Geniuses, at least they should know wtf they're talking about.
Am I still here?

Diva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by JayTi:
Actually, most of them are. Only ones that work there that I have respect for are the Geniuses, at least they should know wtf they're talking about.

If you act uniformed and make a few cute remarks they will give you anything. I got a evaluation copy of Photoshop 7 after taking my Ibook in complaining about editing in Iphoto. Genuis said if I liked it I should come back and buy it.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Diva:
If you act uniformed and make a few cute remarks they will give you anything. I got a evaluation copy of Photoshop 7 after taking my Ibook in complaining about editing in Iphoto. Genuis said if I liked it I should come back and buy it.

It must be nice to have nice legs! (its not fair to the rest of US!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules