Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Firewire Drive

External Firewire Drive
jamerican
Mar 12, 2004, 12:16 PM

I inadvertently switched off an external FW drive (before ejecting/dismounting it) which holds my iTunes library yesterday. Now the PCI card, although recognized by the System profiler, will not mount any FW device plugged into it. Seems as if it is hosed. The FW drive will also not mount. It is the 3rd and last drive in a daisy-chain plugged into a new PCI card. The other 2 devices work fine. I am of the opinion that the bridge in the casing may have been damaged. I have ordered a new casing to which I will transfer the drive, hoping that the drive is undamaged and I will be able to rescue my iTunes library (I have a backup about 4 weeks old, fortunately). Oh, woe is me if it is lost.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

jamerican  (op)
Mar 12, 2004, 02:46 PM

Got it fixed by shutting down the computer, then holding the programmer's button and pressing the startup button at the same time. Everything is working fine now.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

Forum Links
Forum Rules