Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Fell :-(

PowerBook Fell :-(
zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 11:23 PM

Well my brand new 15" PowerBook fell from about 4 feet on to a solid marble floor. It is dented pretty bad in the corner and I have tried to straighten it out and it looks pretty good, but it scratched the aluminum bad. I am fairly impressed on how well it did take the hit, this is on the front left corner.

Anyone have any idea where to get new case parts? or has anyone used the ConceAL paint? How well does it match?

p.s. this is my work computer so I don't feel too bad as it will be replaced in a year or so. I will consider repairing it if the cost isn't too high. (I would replace the case next year after warranty is up in order to resell it)

nate_02
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 12:00 AM

pbparts.com

i think it will be on the pricey side
-nate

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 09:10 AM

Sucks. Hope you can get it fixed for reasonable $$. As long as everything inside still works fine

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks guys, with the prices they are asking I am leaning toward the 'its not that bad' side of things.

I have read some bad reviews of the ConceAL paints, so I might try to find something else to make the scratches less obvious. I think I have gotten he dents out as much as possible and the only way to make them look better will be to remove the case and round it out from the inside. I don't think I will go there just yet

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 12:39 PM

You're lucky it's just cosmetic. One of mine was in its second skin sleeve, and in a padded laptop bag, fell off a luggage cart at a hotel from about 4 feet onto the carpetted floor and sustained a very slight dent on the rear right corner.

I was able to straighten it out, but the display lid clutch appears to have taken the brunt of the damage - there's now a bit of play in the display lid, probably about 1-1.5 inches worth. Annoying as hell while im on the train, as it wobbles like a dashboard hula girl doll.

I figure I'll pop in at an apple store and see if they'll offer to fix it under applecare - if not, I'm sure its gonna cost me a pretty penny, in addition to blowing the applecare away.

Oh well, live and learn. Plastic might've fared better in this spill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules