Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Keeping files on the desktop?

Keeping files on the desktop?
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 10:13 AM

Hi.

Is there a specific limit or rule of thumb as to how many/how big files you can keep on your desktop? Will keeping files on my desktop slow down my system or cause stability issues?

Thanks.
Tom

Oh...i`m using OS.9.1. on a "yikes".

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 10:54 AM

What kind of files are they tomra and why do you want them on your desktop?

rhino_g3

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 11:28 AM

Hi.

These files are a mix of pictures, aliases, 3Drenders, folders, QT `s, textdocs etc.
Basically the files are there because of easy access depending on what kind of project i `m currently working. All files are there temporarily from a day up to a few weeks....depending on what i `m using them to.

Tom.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi.

Is there a specific limit or rule of thumb as to how many/how big files you can keep on your desktop? Will keeping files on my desktop slow down my system or cause stability issues?

Thanks.
Tom

Oh...i`m using OS.9.1. on a "yikes".</STRONG>
no - whatever suits you and the way you work. The desktop is really just a folder like any other.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi.

These files are a mix of pictures, aliases, 3Drenders, folders, QT `s, textdocs etc.
Basically the files are there because of easy access depending on what kind of project i `m currently working. All files are there temporarily from a day up to a few weeks....depending on what i `m using them to.

Tom.</STRONG>
that's what the desktop is for

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 04:50 AM

Hi.

Thanks for replying!
Sometime back i think i remember someone mentioning this as a stability issue, hence the question. Guess i `m safe

Thanks a bunch!
Tom

Cipher13
Jan 21, 2002, 08:38 PM

You could keep every file on the HD, including the system, on the desktop if you so desired

You may want to keep things in a Documents folder and then put aliases on the desktop, just to make things neater...

Buzz Lightbeer
Jan 21, 2002, 09:28 PM

Though many Mac users dump files on the desktop and just leave them there (I hate providing tech support to such messy machines), I use my desktop as an area to keep current files that I'm working on, then clean them up when I've finished by filing them into suitable drive folders.

There are total file number limits (not just desktop) in Classic Mac OS (8/9) and I've reached them once or twice after about 3 CodeWarrior installations (20,000+ files dumped on disc each time) without emptying the trash in between!

Most users will not hit these limits however, and if you do, it's time to migrate to OS X, which most people will be doing anyway over the next 2 years. (The rest will become the Apple ]['ers of the 21st Century.)

Cipher13
Jan 22, 2002, 11:04 AM

Damn... thats a lot of mp3's...

Forum Links
Forum Rules