Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacMice The Mouse BT II

MacMice The Mouse BT II
ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 11:31 PM

This just came in the mail today.

[removed 5 very oversize images. --tooki]

Ordered it a few days ago from Macmice.com. It's their new Mouse BT II. 800DPI bluetooth rechargable mouse (comes with the recharging base which plugs into the USB port when needed).

I've just been using it for a few minutes now and I'm just getting used to the shape of it (it's real similar in shape to the Apple mouses so anyone using those will definitely feel at home). I normally use a Razer Copperhead gaming mouse which is much bigger and fits in my palm better so I'm just getting used to the difference.

It's light, even with the batteries (2 AAA batteries) and the mini scroll wheel works pretty well! Would've liked a few more buttons (front/back for browsing would be nice) but 3 buttons will do fine. Also would've liked to see some kind of way to customize the 3rd button, right now it just activates universal scrolling.

Anyways. Maybe this should go in the peripherals section but it's for my Macbook. I'll report back in a week or so after I've used it more.

Cheers.
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 19, 2006 at 11:12 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 11:34 PM

looks like a cheap knockoff. sorry to say but that is my humble opinion

Alex

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 11:41 PM

been thinking about getting this or the mightymouse BT. how's the response time, is there any lagging? how's the precision? i'm using a mighty mouse usb right now, i like it, but i think logitech makes the best mice.

oh, and thanks for the pics.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 11:49 PM

Shouldn't this be in the Peripherals section?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

ak1nza  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 12:10 AM

I put a post in the peripherals section linking to here. I have a Macbook so I normally post here anyways.

I'll say more about the lagging and precision when I get to use it more. I disagree about the cheap knockoff comment. It does have the same design, but I'm not a fan of the Mighty Mouse scroll button. Also I'm not a fan of the pressure sensitive buttons of the Mighty Mouse. I like Mice that 'click'

Logitech only has the V270 in bluetooth and I'm not a fan of their design. I wanted something with a rechargable battery too and way to recharge it on the go. The Radtech BT500 is just way too small for me.

Anyways, there's not much options out there in terms of a bluetooth mouse. I'll post more after a few days.

Thanks for looking!

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 12:48 AM

Yeah that'd be great! update this thread when you have a little more feedback on how tracking and comfort is compared to the MM

Ouhei
Aug 10, 2006, 12:56 AM

How much is it? Seems like a knock off of the MM, but thats probably the point. I'll stick with my wireless Logitec Mac Set, though I wish the wireless MM was out when I bought it, as I would have gone for that.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 04:46 AM

Do a search for "MacMice" in this forum.

Their product record is, um, sketchy.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 02:13 PM

so it's time to lock this thread then? thought so....

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 10, 2006, 03:19 PM

I'm not sure i like the idea for the separate charging base. It seems to add more desktop clutter and somewhat negates the advantage of having a wireless mouse.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 05:47 PM

The idea of having a charging base negates the necessity of fumbling with batteries that suddenly die on you mid use. I have a MacMice bluetooth trackball called "TheBall". http://www.macmice.com/ball.html I know about the repuation of the company, but they really do make the "Worlds Only Bluetooth Trackball" and since I'm a trackball fiend I had no other choice. Mine works fairly well except that the marble ball they included seems to be a real friggin marble, meaning I had to go over it with a sharpie to increase the accuracy of the laser. Other than that its fine.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

mrgaskell
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 03:13 AM

I have the first one and had connectivity and battery problems with it. It is sitting in my bag of tech junk on my bookcase. I would never buy another product from them again.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
The idea of having a charging base negates the necessity of fumbling with batteries that suddenly die on you mid use. I have a MacMice bluetooth trackball called "TheBall". http://www.macmice.com/ball.html I know about the repuation of the company, but they really do make the "Worlds Only Bluetooth Trackball" and since I'm a trackball fiend I had no other choice. Mine works fairly well except that the marble ball they included seems to be a real friggin marble, meaning I had to go over it with a sharpie to increase the accuracy of the laser. Other than that its fine.
How's the ergonomics on the Ball? I thought the scroll wheel was oddly placed above the ball, making it an awkward, straining stretch. Also, does it come with its own software, or does it rely on the System software? Mainly, I'm wondering if the scroll wheel does page-up and page-down, or whether it's incremental scrolling.

I use my Macally Q-Ball all the time, especially since they went on closeout for $10--so I've got 3 of them. I was even travelling with one, but it get scrunched and one of the support rollers got broken...so now I remove the ball while travelling. I'd love to ditch the USB cord, but the Macally software allows page-up and down both in webpages and Excel spreadsheet and Word docs. That's way too convenient, plus 5-buttons allows for backward and forward webpaging.

Macmice is only the distributor for the Ball, so as long as their shipping dept is OK, the only questions are about the quality of the original product...

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2006, 11:28 AM

why didnt you get the new mighty mouse BT instead?

i think apple mice and keyboards are top notch.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

ak1nza  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 04:28 PM

So far I haven't had any issues in terms of connectivity. I turn it on and in a few seconds it's connected to my MB ready for use. I haven't noticed any problems with lag but will keep an eye out for it as the battery gets used.

I like it so far. It's comfortable, not too heavy, not too light. The scroll is nice and small and accurate. As for the charging base taking up desk space... It's in my pouch where I keep the charger and stuff and I'm really only gonna take it out when the battery gets low. It doesn't stay on my desk at all. It took less than an hour for a full charge for the 2 AAA batteries when I first got it.

The only issue I have with the mouse at the moment is that it's white.... and my MB is black!

I didn't get the mighty mouse because I don't like the scroll button much. Also not a big fan of the pressure sensitive button style. I like buttons that click... I'm kinda old school.

Quality wise, I agree the Apple Mighty Mouse is prob better. This mouse suits me fine.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
How's the ergonomics on the Ball? I thought the scroll wheel was oddly placed above the ball, making it an awkward, straining stretch. Also, does it come with its own software, or does it rely on the System software? Mainly, I'm wondering if the scroll wheel does page-up and page-down, or whether it's incremental scrolling.

I use my Macally Q-Ball all the time, especially since they went on closeout for $10--so I've got 3 of them. I was even travelling with one, but it get scrunched and one of the support rollers got broken...so now I remove the ball while travelling. I'd love to ditch the USB cord, but the Macally software allows page-up and down both in webpages and Excel spreadsheet and Word docs. That's way too convenient, plus 5-buttons allows for backward and forward webpaging.

Macmice is only the distributor for the Ball, so as long as their shipping dept is OK, the only questions are about the quality of the original product...
The ergonmics are in no way as good as a Logitech trackball and takes some getting used to. But for a laptop which is often on uneven surfaces its good enough for me and the only convienent wireless trackball available.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ak1nza
Also not a big fan of the pressure sensitive button style. I like buttons that click... I'm kinda old school.
The Mighty Mouse has a *very* satisfying click. The touch sensors are merely there to figure out where you've got your fingers, and to decide *which* click you've made.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 11:13 PM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
...and therefore you can't right click with both fingers touching the mouse. to right click you must lift your left finger up off the mouse and then click.
I'll have to disagree here.

I belong to those people that always keep their fingers on the mouse buttons. I never remove the fingers on the right button when I press the left button. And yet my MM (USB version) has never given me trouble. Maybe the BT version is different though. I don't know.

I think the sensors are smart enough to not just look where the fingers are, but to check which finger moved.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 05:56 AM

I think the whole bt base thing is utter dumbness. If they remove the bt base and make it rechargable thru only an usb cable, then i'll buy one.
( Last edited by n8236; Aug 19, 2006 at 03:36 AM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 09:12 AM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: .)

ak1nza  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 04:08 AM

I think the whole bt base thing is utter dumbness. If they remove the bt base and make it rechargable thru only an usb cable, then i'll buy one.
I don't exactly see what the difference is. The charging base is not much bigger than a quarter and it's not any heavier than a normal USB cable anyways. I guess if that's too much for you to carry then you're right, the mouse isn't for you.

Why not get a mouse that doesn't use rechargeable batteries then? Let me guess. Carrying the extra spare batteries is utter dumbness?

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Your explanation is the exact reverse of what I said... I had problems *right* clicking. You said you have no problems *left* clicking. Thats because (on mine anyway) the mighymouse defaults to left click if both fingers are touching. Left click is easy... It's the right click that bugs me.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot right click with both fingers on the mouse.
this is why I didn't buy the Mighty Mouse.

Anyways to update. I've not have any problems with my MacMice BT II. I acutally lke it more and more. It's light. It's not a hassle to carry around. The scroll feels nice. I haven't noticed any lagging issues or connectivity issues. I turn it on and it connects, I turn it off and it disconnects. If i leave it on it goes into powersave mode and disconnects. Then reconnects when I click on the button.

Works for me!
BLACK MACBOOK (2GHZ, 2GB HDD, 80GB HDD, SUPERDRIVE) <=> RED APPLE LOGO!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 19, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ak1nza
I put a post in the peripherals section linking to here. I have a Macbook so I normally post here anyways.
I'm afraid that's not how it works here. The Macbook forum is not a forum for a Macbook owner -- it's a forum for discussion about Macbooks only. If it's not a Macbook (or something Macbook-specific) that you're discussing, it doesn't belong here. ALL topics about peripherals belong in that forum.

Also, please review the rules. We do not allow large inline images.

Thanks,
tooki

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think the sensors are smart enough to not just look where the fingers are, but to check which finger moved.
No, they are not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules