Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and Hp 870Cse Printer and ATI VR TV

OS9 and Hp 870Cse Printer and ATI VR TV
tomwhite
Feb 1, 2000, 01:37 PM

I installed OS9 a couple of weeks ago from a friends CD in order to see if I wanted to buy it. The thing that appealed to me about OS9 was the Keychain feature as I am always hunting my password to places.

After an uneventful installation, things seemed to work fine and I had just about decided to order OS9 when I discovered two problems with it and my computer.

Problem #1.

I have an Hp Deskjet 870Cse that is connected to the computer via a Keyspan USB adapter (the original version). When I tried to print to it using OS9, I was unable to print. Just got a quick flash of the print dialog box and then nothing. I downloaded the latest HP drivers and the Keyspan drivers and still the same result.

Problem #2.

I have an ATI VR card on my second monitor that I sometime use to play TV using an ATI tuner. It works great with OS 8.6. With OS9, I got no sound when using the TV mode. I downloaded the latest ATI drivers. Still the same problem. I called ATI support and they said that they had never heard of the problem. After having me try a few things, their support guy decided that it was a System Problem and that I should call Apple.

Since I was using a bootleg copy for evaluation, I did not feel that I should call Apple for support. I reinstalled OS 8.6 and tried to forget it.

Question.

Is there anyone out there that is using OS9 with either of my two peripherals that has had or has not had these problems, and more importantly have they found a solution?

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2000, 12:26 PM

Problem # 2. For some reason, you have to make sure that the Sound Input Control panel is set for the apprpriate input before starting Xclaim TV. I believe that the new Audio update from apple fixes that problem.

Feb 6, 2000, 02:58 AM

I had the same problem with my Hp 855 printer after installing MacOS 9. To remedy this, I had to trash all my Hp drivers and start from scratch. After clearing the drivers I reloaded the drivers from the original disk that came with the printer. Then I used the update program from HP's website to update my drivers to 9.4. Then I installed the patch, also from HP's site that allowed my printer to work with MacOS9. My printer now runs fine. I hope this helps your problem

Forum Links
Forum Rules