Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iUnlock -- free iPhone unlock

iUnlock -- free iPhone unlock
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:26 PM

If you haven't heard about it already, the Dev team has released a free unlocking tool for the iPhone. I'm pretty excited, but a bit hesitant about future relocks. I'm sure they'll unlock it again, but how fast? The Engadget story is the only one that's responding at this time. Hackint0sh has more details, but it's getting hammered.

Anyone have any ideas on actions Apple could take to shut down the unlock? Kill the baseband bug?
( Last edited by TimmyDee51; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: link)
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Cold Warrior
Sep 11, 2007, 10:36 PM

link?
[thanks]
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM. )

tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 02:25 AM

I was an AT&T customer before I got my iPhone, and, now that I'm two months into a two-year contract, I probably will be for some time, but, I won't lie, I am excited to see this. As much as I love Apple, my biggest complaint about them is their tendency to have such closed tech models. If I shell out the money for the hardware, I feel I should be able to do what I will with it.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

Xarthan
Sep 12, 2007, 03:20 AM

just did it and it works great! Though....... I should write my own guide cauz of all the guides online couple of steps weren't stated and it kinda messed me up couple of times.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 03:42 AM

I ran it on my iPhone minutes after one of the devs uploaded something for others to test (sitting in the IRC channel).

I'm now using my iPhone on Fido in Canada. :-)

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 11:26 AM

With all of the unlock options so far, is it true that all iPhone features work on the other carriers except for visual voicemail? I suppose there's no way to enable VV on the other carriers, right?

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bierslayer View Post
With all of the unlock options so far, is it true that all iPhone features work on the other carriers except for visual voicemail? I suppose there's no way to enable VV on the other carriers, right?
This is what I would like to know also, I do not plan on leaving AT&T, but if I travel or AT&T really pisses me off some day I would like all my programs and apps to still work.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 12:00 PM

No VV on other carriers. It's a "server-side" app that encodes your voicemail into audio files and sends them via EDGE to your phone where you can scrub through them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 12:07 PM

The people charging $100 to do the same thing must be pissed. Basically they have a worthless product.

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2007, 12:10 PM

Indeed. Seems like they didn't figure out the unlock fast enough, get it to market in time, or likely a mix of both. You snooze, you lose.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 12:29 PM

Also, I think if the price was reasonable and a nice clean app, it would be popular. But $100 was a bit much IMHO. I think they realized that others would release a free option, and tried to sell it to a 3rd party so they could walk away with something. It may have worked... not sure.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 12:36 PM

Super Nerds, where would be without them?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 01:38 PM

Hmmm... I have T-Mobile through work... would this be worth taking a chance? Only $350 for an 8GB refurb or $300 for a new 4GB...

Decisions, decisions...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 01:53 PM

Does this mean that I can buy an iPhone... unlock it... take it to verizon and get on their network ??? Is this possible? will Verizon do this for me? And would all the iPhone features work?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 01:56 PM

No. Verizon = CDMA. iPhone = GSM. You could unlock and activate with t-mobile, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
Does this mean that I can buy an iPhone... unlock it... take it to verizon and get on their network ??? Is this possible? will Verizon do this for me? And would all the iPhone features work?
No to all of that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 06:22 PM

3 Questions.

Does YouTube work?

If you have to bring it to apple can you re-flash the Radio ROM so it is just as before or can apple tell you screwed with it?

Can Apple relock it over the air like Satellite providers do?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 07:58 PM

1. Youtube doesn't have anything to do with unlocking. :-P It's just a matter of getting the fixed files on the phone for Youtube.app.

2. There's nothing illegal or shady about unlocking your phone, so I'm sure Apple wouldn't care that it's unlocked if you came in with a hardware issue. However, I'm sure that someone will be able to provide an original "unlocked" firmware image for flashing if someone wants to go back to it. Also, any future updates may also update the baseband, resulting in a re-locked phone.

3. And no, Apple can't re-lock it over the air. Apple has already stated that they have nothing against people hacking the iPhone. Unlocked iPhones = more business for Apple. Trust me, they're all for this.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
1. Youtube doesn't have anything to do with unlocking. :-P It's just a matter of getting the fixed files on the phone for Youtube.app.

2. There's nothing illegal or shady about unlocking your phone, so I'm sure Apple wouldn't care that it's unlocked if you came in with a hardware issue. However, I'm sure that someone will be able to provide an original "unlocked" firmware image for flashing if someone wants to go back to it. Also, any future updates may also update the baseband, resulting in a re-locked phone.

3. And no, Apple can't re-lock it over the air. Apple has already stated that they have nothing against people hacking the iPhone. Unlocked iPhones = more business for Apple. Trust me, they're all for this.
1. Yes youtube has a lot to do with unlocking. Yes you can get it to work but it is a royal pain in the ass.

2. News just came out that the unlock is done with a buffer overflow so apple will fix that exploit in to time. Who knows how easy it will be then.

3. Apple said yesterday that they will not fight hackers with APPS. They said nothing about hacking the radio ROM to unlock the phone. Also TODAY Apple said that future updates will probably break apps.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 08:55 PM

Well, I've been using AT&T in one form or another ever since I had a cellphone, and I don't have any plans to jump ship, but having it unlocked would be pretty convenient.

That said, I can still use visual voicemail while I'm on my AT&T SIM card, right?
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

vtgts500kw
Sep 12, 2007, 09:45 PM

if your using an unlocked iPhone, when the next update is issued and you update the phone, that will cancel the unlocking?

will this be fixed by just going through the unlocking process which you did previously? or will you have to wait for a new unlock procedure because the old one wont work on the updated iPhone?

hope that makes sense.
We ( my company ) really wants these iPhone's, but in New Zealand the iPhone isn't expected to be available here. Now or in the future.

thanks

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
1. Yes youtube has a lot to do with unlocking. Yes you can get it to work but it is a royal pain in the ass.

2. News just came out that the unlock is done with a buffer overflow so apple will fix that exploit in to time. Who knows how easy it will be then.

3. Apple said yesterday that they will not fight hackers with APPS. They said nothing about hacking the radio ROM to unlock the phone. Also TODAY Apple said that future updates will probably break apps.
1. Explain. Youtube has much to do with activation and lockdownd, not with SIM locks. And pain in the ass? You replace a few files, and delete a folder, all over SFTP/SCP. This literally takes seconds.

2. Apple may or may not fix the hole that allows the phone to be unlocked. If they don't, you'll simply be able to re-do the unlock the next time Apple updates the baseband firmware.

3. Indeed. But clearly their attitude so far has been "We're not acknowledging the existence of the home-brew/hacking scene, but we're not being hostile to them either."

Xarthan
Sep 13, 2007, 01:20 AM

if 1.0.3 relocks the iphone then I just won't update..... what features could I want in 1.0.3?

itunes buying? thanks i'll pass..... starbucks? again I'll pass....... ichat? o wait there's an app out there that does this.

The only new feature I would like to see on a iphone is flash support, but will that happen?

The great thing about software unlock is my warranty is still valid. If i get any hardware blah, i can just do an iPhone restore on iTunes and send it in
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
2. Apple may or may not fix the hole that allows the phone to be unlocked. If they don't, you'll simply be able to re-do the unlock the next time Apple updates the baseband firmware.
iPhone unlocks use buffer overflow — nearly guaranteed to be broken by next Apple firmware update – iPhone Atlas

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 03:06 PM

Hmmm. I hope that's not the case. I searched Hackint0sh and couldn't find any info on a buffer overflow (they tried some, but I guess they didn't work). They reference MacApp, which says its a buffer overflow exploit, but I can't see any reference to back it up.

Here's to hoping it's more bomb-proof than that.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 04:06 PM

analogue SPRINKLES: Perhaps so, but you're confusing "upgrade-resistant unlock" with "upgrade-resistant exploit". In order to re-lock someone's iPhone *and* make the current procedure ineffective, Apple would have to fix the vulnerability that allowed the devs to write to the baseband firwmare *as well as* updating the baseband firmware itself.

If they only do the former, then one can downgrade to 1.0.2, do the unlock procedure, then upgrade to whatever version they want to.

If they only do the latter, then after a baseband firmware update, one will simply have to do the unlock procedure again.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 04:36 PM

Well said Tomchu. I also believe someone raised the point (on Hackint0sh, I think), that if Apple wants a way to write to the baseband firmware to update it, they'll need to leave themselves a backdoor. With this backdoor, we should have another way to get in and attempt to unlock it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2007, 06:06 PM

Well, I was considering an iPod Touch, but when it was released with 16GB of storage instead of 160GB as I wanted, I started started thinking about getting an iPhone. When the free unlock was released, I decided to go for it. One refurbed 8GB iPhone coming to me for me to use with T-Mobile. Wish me luck!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Well, I was considering an iPod Touch, but when it was released with 16GB of storage instead of 160GB as I wanted, I started started thinking about getting an iPhone. When the free unlock was released, I decided to go for it. One refurbed 8GB iPhone coming to me for me to use with T-Mobile. Wish me luck!
Good luck. You're gonna need it.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 02:00 AM

I posted this in another thread but this thread is more relevant.

I successfully unlocked my iPhone using the method found on modmyiphone.com

It is now working in Cyprus on the Cytamobile-Vodaphone network. Calls work great. No voicemail but if you read on the MMi site there's a way around that. I don't use voicemail here anyway. No EDGE and I'm not interested in activating GPRS or anything.

I just wanted to report that the unlock worked beautifully.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2007, 02:14 AM

Congratulations.

On another front, what do people make of the reports by the iPod Linux crowd that the new iPods have encrypted firmware verified by iTunes, thus making it impossible to install Linux on them? I think this may spell big trouble for unlock efforts, if this is the direction Apple is going in.

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2007, 05:12 AM

I saw an article on digg that said the encryption for Linux has been cracked and they are now workng again.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by matty-uk View Post
I saw an article on digg that said the encryption for Linux has been cracked and they are now workng again.
What took them so long?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 07:09 AM

Something I don't understand is why blogs are promoting other unlock methods which are failing and almost bricking some iPhones.

There is only one unlock method that is proven to work, 100% if you follow the simple instructions. None of this anySim or iPhoneSimFree crap.

IPhone unlock OS X Part 1 - ModMyiPhone - Wiki

Sirfishalot
Sep 18, 2007, 11:18 AM

Ok, so there are these unlocks out there but how are folks getting their SIM cards from other carriers into the iPhone?

Thanks,
JayT

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 11:31 AM

Ummm, here.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2007, 07:13 PM

So....Another question which might have been answered in this thread in not so many words.
I am in Canada and assuming (hoping) we will see the iPhone here soon. I know I can drive a couple of hours and pick one up and bring it back here, unlock it and get it working. But what happens when it does "officially" arrive in Canada? What will have to be done to get my Visual Voicemail to work for example?
Who reads this???

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 10:58 PM

I suppose that would depend on who you have service with. I hear Rogers is really the only GSM show in town (or country), so all you may have to do is wait for an iPhone update that is for Rogers. Once that happens, all the necessary things should be in place for VV to work. The other settings as well.

If you do follow this path, be sure to let us know. I'd be really curious to see how it would work out.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Daracle View Post
What will have to be done to get my Visual Voicemail to work for example?
Visual voicemail depends *entirely* upon the provider setting up infrastructure to convert every single voicemail that comes in into an iPhone-readable audio file, and then to push that, via data connection, onto your phone.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Daracle View Post
So....Another question which might have been answered in this thread in not so many words.
I am in Canada and assuming (hoping) we will see the iPhone here soon. I know I can drive a couple of hours and pick one up and bring it back here, unlock it and get it working. But what happens when it does "officially" arrive in Canada? What will have to be done to get my Visual Voicemail to work for example?
I'm afraid you will have to wait a long time for an official iPhone release up north. For example, Apple released the iTMS for Canada 20 months after the US one. I would wait for the next iPhone firmwire update from Apple, version 1.1.1, then wait a bit and see if the hacker community has a good unlock release for it. If so, then go down south and buy an iPhone then unlock it yourself and forget about visual voicemail. If you are impatient then go get one now because there is a perfectly good unlock solution that I have personally used and 100% works. Forget about the software update because the iPhone is mega-cool already.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2007, 07:00 PM

I'll second the info in that link, although I used anySIM for the actual unlock. It was a bit wonky at times, but I may not have followed the directions exactly. In the end, though, it worked like a charm, and I'm a happy camper.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 02:11 PM

Does completely formatting the iPhone after this unlock put it back to factory conditions?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2007, 12:04 PM

Just wanted to say that I accomplished my objective: One 8GB iPhone running on T-Mobile in the USA!

I used Windows instructions. None of the Mac instructions worked.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 01:53 PM

Eriamjh: That's weird. I did have some issues with the Mac instructions, but they worked in the end. In any case, congratulations!

analogue: No, it does not. It does put the software back to factory conditions, and it does "un-activate" the phone, but the baseband firmware is still hacked. There are ways to get this back, but I'm not so sure Apple would check there. If you do a factory restore, it wouldn't visibly show. The only way I know of finding out would be to attempt to unlock it again, at which point you would get an error message. The short story is that restoring puts it back close enough to factory for almost anyone not to notice.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2007, 02:31 PM

I have no reason to unlock my iPhone beacause I'm happy with AT&T in the USA. I might contemplate it when I go overseas next year, but by that time there will be enough information as to what Apple is going to doing with future software patches, etc.

I'm interested to see what the next iPhone update is going to do, if anything, to unlocked iPhones.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 02:40 PM

Just wanted to say that I accomplished my objective: One 8GB iPhone running on T-Mobile in the USA!

I am thinking of doing the same thing! How is it? What features do/don't work? I'm afraid to get myself too deep in this and not have it work in the end though.
iamwhor3hay

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 02:45 PM

Wow with the new jailbreak software so you can unlock everything but the phone now takes a couple minutes with only one button to push!

Heck even YouTube works now!

hab
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2007, 05:22 PM

21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 24, 2007, 05:57 PM

Does t-mobile have a pay as you go that can be used with the iphone or do I have to get a full plan?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 12:43 AM

ran the software unlocker on a friends phone today. Super easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules