Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll: What OS are you running on your iBook?

Poll: What OS are you running on your iBook? (Page 2)
xcjbx87
Mar 31, 2002, 04:01 PM

mainly i am running osx because most of the programs i use are compatible with it. but when i get pissed at osx i go to os9 cause when using iMovie, it quits out a lot on me.. before i could save so.
scabs and scars producer, co-director

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 04:18 PM

Mac OS X appears to have won the day then!

And just for the record, I am currently typing this on my iBook 600 running 10.1.3.

All you OS 9 users, you still enjoying apps locking up the whole system? Whatever floats your boat I guess...

Sealobo
Mar 31, 2002, 06:40 PM

Running OS X since it's the only OS I have...

york28
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 07:06 PM

Well, I use 10.1.3 about 60% of the time. 20% I'm using Photoshop or another program in classic, and the rest unfortunately I have to boot into OS 9.2 to use my audio apps such as Pro Tools.

Also, there is a power feedback problem in some iBooks that was fixed in OS 9.2.2. What would happen is that while the hard disk is being written to or read from, power spikes appear in the USB bus, which ends up making very audible sound artifacts on my Griffin iMic. Apple hasn't yet fixed this in X, so i have to use 9 just to actually record, even though some decent audio editing (but not multitracking yet) apps are out for X.

The Finder is horridly slow, but I love the stability and the fact that I can switch programs instantly.

And power management is pretty bad.

Hopefully, full-time X within the year.

(2001 iBook, 500 mhz, 320 MB, 10 gig)
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2002, 06:03 PM

OS X 100% of the time. Haven't even ran a classic app in months.

iBook 500/DVD/384MB/10GB

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 07:41 PM

X all the time on my iBook since 10.1 came out. Stability is the best thing in the world, along with switching apps at any time. OS 9, dare I say it, seems slower than X in many ways now, especially since I have to wait for a lot of things like pages rendering in IE and apps launching before I can switch to another app and keep doing work (or pissing around!) .

Go X!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2002, 12:48 AM

Just brought it home. Just re-installed the OS I only installed OS X don't use 9 much and see no point in wasting space on here when I rarely use it at all.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Cop Rock
Apr 3, 2002, 01:34 AM

I use OS X 10.1.3 all the time at home. I'll generally switch to OS 9 when traveling so that I can leave it asleep without draining the batter so I can wake it up if I need to prove it's working. Then I switch back to OS X to watch DVDs.

(I'm still using OS 9 on my Cube and at work on my B&W G3.)

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 03:35 PM

I'm in the support field so i've seen the performance of X on virtually every machine possible. On the Cube/500/384/Radeon at home i'm using X 100% of the time.

On the iBook/500/256 on the road i've tried every optimization possible in order to get the Iceman over to X to no avail (even swapping out additional RAM). And besides the fact that i find battery life in X to be pathetic, web browsing significantly slower, and MS Office X to be a complete dog vs. Office 01' i am actually finding a fine-tuned OS 9 system to be running more stable than OS X!

What can i say, it's quite clear that OS X is the mecca of beautiful GUI design, but having seen X on all the different hardware platforms out there i just find X on any g3-based machine too much of a performance dog to get production-level work done on a daily basis.

Hopefully 1-2 years from now when we start seeing nVidia and ATi release video cards capable of truly accelerating OS X's vector GUI we'll see this improve, but till then this cat's got 9 lives left.

Speed

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2002, 03:00 AM

X 50%
OS 9.1 50%

I really want to use X 100% but my ADSL isp does not support OS X and its not working right on it.

Also some of my Apps don't work on X

Sander
Apr 6, 2002, 11:25 AM

I have an iBook 500 and I only use OS 9.2.2. I really want to go X but my software needs to be upgraded first. I don't have any problems with OS 9 so it's okay for now.

Cheers.
Have a nice day!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2002, 11:27 AM

In my earlier post on the first page I said that I run Mac OS X 100% of the time on my iBook 600 DVD.

Now I run it 50% of the time, with (of course) 9.2.2 the other 50%.

This is because I need to get longer battery life since I bring it to school now, and I don't have any place to charge. I get about 1 hour more running 9.2.2 instead of OS X.

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2002, 12:01 PM

I use an iBook 500 Combo and systerm 9.2.2 full time. When I upgrade from my little 10GB drive I'll reinstall X in order to play around in it but for me the only thing I can do constantly in X is internet apps. Part of my reason for lagging behind is I don't have a pressing need to go to X which would cost me a lot of money in order to upgrade Photoshop, Office, Quicken, and others. My work still uses system 9 (Autherized Apple Dealer, too), iMovie (which I've gotten into a lot lately) isn't quite as stable, in my experience, in X, and I'm happy with the performance vs battery life I get in system 9.

Besides, my iBook crashes maybe once a week and not three times a day

*knocks iBook on wood*

Oops....uh, nevermind that last statement
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

AmyLR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 08:14 PM

I got my 14" iBook last month and got it maxed out with 640 megs RAM. I have both 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.3 on the same partition, but I have Classic turned off. I only brought it up to make sure that it would launch .

So my answer is OS X and also Windows 2000 under VPC 5

TTFN,
Amy
With a 'chute, computer and LAN cord, here I go GERONIMO!!

MjP2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2002, 01:43 PM

Running OS X on my iBook 500 MHz with 196 megs of ram.

Quite happy after formatting the hard-disk and partiotioning it in three parts: one for X, one for 9 and one for X's swap-files. There's even a program that does the swap-file replacing so that you don't need to play with Terminal, called Swap Cop.

iTunes now takes only one or two bounces to start whilst it used to be at least five before the operation.

MjP2
ibook 500 'Matilda'

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2002, 05:44 PM

OS 9 100%

OS X is too slow, isn't compatible with the software I use often, and annoys me.

The only thing I like about X is Adium, which just kicks ass.

[edit : no HTML code ]

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: speramint0 ]

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: ]

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

nest18
Apr 12, 2002, 06:50 AM

Os X 50%
Os 9 50%

I wish I could be 100% in os X but unfortunately, Digital performer is not available on os X yet .... come on motu !!!! Plus I hate VPC on os X it's really slow. So for those 2 programs I keep os 9. For the rest it is os X all the way.

I find my iBook very responsive in os X, no problem on that point.

iBook/combo/500/384
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

Scooterboy
Senior User
Apr 12, 2002, 02:58 PM

OS X 10.1.3, except when running the odd app in Classic, and I'll boot up into OS 9.2.2 when I run Photoshop, which is hardly ever. My iBook 600 12.1" combo runs X fine. Speed differences with OS 9 are superficial. OS 9 has snappier feel, like with window resizing and menu pulldown, but MP3 encoding and such seems faster in X.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 08:01 PM

I was running OS X about 99% of the time. I really only booted into classic under duress. Now, however, I'm running YellowDog Linux as my sole operating system on my 500 MHz iBook. I wiped the hard drive clean and installed YDL 2.1 as a learning tool for me. Since it's not my only Mac and not what I use to earn a living I can afford to play with it.

ppp
Apr 15, 2002, 04:48 PM

Hey, OS X seems to be slow for some, okay for others. Here's a question: How is it on a 600 MHz iBook (which I'm planning to buy) compared to a 400 MHz iMac (which I'm planning to sell)?

It could be faster because of the processor... Or it could be slower, because of the4200 rpm HD.

Which one is it?

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 07:06 PM

I use OS X 10.1.3 almost exclusively. Photoshop is the only app I don't have for X yet, but hopefully I'll be able to upgrade at some point.

It is a bit slower than 9 in terms of the GUI response on my iBook, but the lack of crashes and memory allocation errors is more than worth it. Not to mention the TCP/IP stack and access to a UNIX command line.

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2002, 12:58 AM

Alpha said it right: The X GUI is somewhat slow... but the other features of X more than make up for it.

No system crashes
Being able to have 20 apps open without a speed hit
No one app being able to shut everything else out
True multitasking

Just make sure you have plenty of RAM. I'm running on a 600Mhz iBook (Combo), with it maxed out to 640MB of RAM. Runs like a charm.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Well...

I am new to the Mac, and I thought it would be nice if I started out using Classic for a few months. I figured that if I am ever to understand where Apple is going in the future, I should do as much as I can to familiarize myself with where they have been...

That and I am using Always Off Line's Version 7.0 - 45 day trial, and it doesn't work in OS X, even in the Classic enviorment.

How the times have changed. I now run OS X as my default OS. How incredible is this...

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: PowerMacMan ]
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

gilpin
Apr 22, 2002, 06:53 PM

OS 10.1.4
I dont even think i have 9 installed, i might but i dont use it, and why should i??
Adium- Best IM App out there
Office v.X - good, but its microsoft
PS 7
Dreamweaver MX
Illustrator 10

Why would i use os9?

Chris

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 04:04 PM

I'm thinking of getting an iBook (for my business that i'll hopefully be starting soon). I have a G4 867 now, with a 60Gb partitioned into 3, 10 for OS X, 10 for OS 9 and the rest (about 37 left with the drive formatting) for files. So my question is, if you have a 10 or 15 Gb drive in your iBook and you partition it 3 ways, how do you split it and leave enough in each Part for the systems? Is 2-2-6 or 3-3-9 too small for a system, maybe 3-3-4 or 4-4-7? What way do you do it?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

johann
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2002, 07:42 PM

OS 9.1 100%

software i use isn't OSX yet.. Reaktor, Cubase, etc.. also, iBook 500mhz is dog slow in OSX.. but i can't have OS 9 freezin on me when i'm playing live.. so OSX will be a nice upgrade once my apps are ported (and it's "snappier".. but by then i'll have a tiBook)

wOOge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Hobbes:
<STRONG>Are you running X or a Classic OS? If both, where do you spend most of your time?</STRONG>
OSX = 90%
Classic = 7%
Linux = 3%
--

wOOge
http://mac.axonz.com

"..I've been ionized, but I'm ok now."

webb3201
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 05:37 PM

I run OSX on all three of my current Mac's around 99% of the time. The remaining 1% may count as it is running Darwin with Xfree86 and Windowmaker.

I find the performance to be fine for all tasks and the slight loss in Gui speed compared to 9 is more than made up for by stability and true multi-tasking.

Transfer a large 500mb file from machine to machine in OS9 and the entire machine is tied up for the duration. Do the same in OSX, and you can keep working throughout.

I am running X on a Powerbook G4, iBook 500, and a Beige Powermac 333. I can no longer stand to work in 9.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Insanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 01:55 AM

I currently run OS 9 full time. I was using OS X, but with Photoshop 7, I found the interface to be sluggish on my iBook (Dual USB). I didn't like waiting for pop-down menus and various interface things that took that extra second to open in X. Mac OS 9 just flies on my iBook. Although I do hope to move to X when I get a new machine.

Ironic that I got Photoshop 7 for its OS X compatibility and it ends up being the reason I switch back to OS 9 for now. I'm hoping 10.2 is a speed freak.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Insanity ]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Hobbes:
<STRONG>Are you running X or a Classic OS? If both, where do you spend most of your time?</STRONG>
OS X 10.1.4. Took OS 9 off this machine.

crashoverrideplik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 09:37 AM

I have serval partitions on my ibook. I work in X mainly. I support a large Creative team in mutiple locations so, I have to use 9 for them and support issues. We are in the testing phase on X in our orginzation. We are waiting for venders like RAMPAGE and AGFA to catch up on the X game. I also have Win 2K and Linux running as well.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 09:40 AM

Oh, yeah...I forgot to reply to this thread...

My beige G3/466/320MB/20GB desktop and iBook/500/DVD/384MB/10GB are now both 100% Mac OS X. I keep Mac OS 9.2.1 on the beige's smaller partition to run Norton Utilities just-in-case as I can't boot from the CD writer I installed in it (Yamaha LightSpeed 2100 IDE 16x10x40...it's Mac OS X happy, too as long as I burn with Toast) and don't want to swap-in the old CD-ROM drive in an emergency.

Voch

segaslave
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2002, 12:45 AM

im running 10.1.4 on my ibook rev. A (g3 233) its slow as hell really but for what i use it for its fine and better than crashing like os9 did, i can count at the most 3 crashes since ive been running X on here(since the very very early betas)

....for the record i run os9 still on my g4 ehhe
:rolleyes:

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2002, 05:28 PM

10.1.4 on 500mhz/384MB/10GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules