Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Some Advise

Some Advise
mattl71
May 1, 2002, 10:08 PM

I am planing on buying and ibook with airport el cheapo. Smalldog.com seems like the best place to do so. The question is they have a ibook 500mhz 64/10/cdrom refurb for 889. So with Airport say 270 plus some more ram 60 bucks so I have a total of around 1230. They also have a 600 128/15/dvd for 1129 with everything thats a total of around 1469. Do you think the difference will be worth it for what I am planing to do: internet, word proccesing, and mp3 stuff?? Nothing that difficult. So for what I want to do what would be you guys advice?...
thank you.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 10:22 PM

Go for the 600. It's worth it.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2002, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by jules:
<STRONG>Go for the 600. It's worth it.</STRONG>
Bzzt. Buy the cheap one and OC it if you want the speed. It's not that difficult - just get a professional if you don't want to do it yourself.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Carl Norum:
<STRONG>

Bzzt. Buy the cheap one and OC it if you want the speed. It's not that difficult - just get a professional if you don't want to do it yourself.</STRONG>
WRONG.

For $240 more, the 600, with all its advantages is worth it.

x user
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:34 AM

If you'd be comfortible overclocking the iBook (they have a really high sucess rate) then get the 500, if not, get the 600.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 01:17 AM

The only thing you can't do yourself for less than the cost of the 600 model is the DVD drive. RAM is the same cost in both cases, OC job is free (if you think you need to do it at all), and a 40 GB hard disk is $139 last I checked. If you already have a DVD player, the CD model is probably the way to go.

nest18
May 2, 2002, 05:50 AM

<STRONG>The only thing you can't do yourself for less than the cost of the 600 model is the DVD drive. RAM is the same cost in both cases, OC job is free (if you think you need to do it at all), and a 40 GB hard disk is $139 last I checked. If you already have a DVD player, the CD model is probably the way to go.</STRONG>
Is that mean you'll OC mine for free
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by nest18:
<STRONG>Is that mean you'll OC mine for free </STRONG>
I won't do it unless the owner accompanies his machine and watches us go through the process. That way he/she can stop us at any time if they think it's too risky.

I am sure, however, that you can find someone capable of doing the job in a city as large as Montreal.

-- Carl "Prairie Boy" Norum

nest18
May 3, 2002, 04:50 AM

<STRONG>

I won't do it unless the owner accompanies his machine and watches us go through the process. That way he/she can stop us at any time if they think it's too risky.

I am sure, however, that you can find someone capable of doing the job in a city as large as Montreal.

-- Carl "Prairie Boy" Norum</STRONG>
I would not mind going to Saskatchewan ..... Let's discover our big country

I'll probably stick anyway with this config. I'm aware of the lost of my Applecare once the Hack done ....

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: nest18 ]
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 07:47 AM

Having a DVD on ibook is quite comfortable, if you are a poor student or something. You can easely attach it to a TV with the AV cable and play the movies on a decent screen. This configuration suits me well, even thought I only have a 14" telly..
My iBook is my portable and personal entertainent center..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
<STRONG>This configuration suits me well, even thought I only have a 14" telly..</STRONG>
If you are a student you should look around your campus and find out where they keep the big presentation LCD projectors. When we want to watch DVDs at school we just go get one of the AV carts and watch the movie on a real silvered screen! It's really neat... I recommend it to anyone.

-- Carl "Snowing in May!?!?!" Norum

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 10:38 PM

Check www.dealmac.com You can find Airport stuff a lot cheaper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules