Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting OS.9 and OSX??

Connecting OS.9 and OSX??
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2002, 10:36 AM

Hi.

This might be a dumb question, but can i connect a mac with OS.9.1 to a mac with OSX for file transfer? Will the two OS`s "talk" to each other?

Thanks.
Tom

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 03:42 PM

The only "dumb" question is one you already know the answer to.

I assume you mean two different machines, with different OS's. Yes, they can talk to each other. You can set one up for filesharing and the other can mount it. I think there may be some protocol issues (e.g. AppleTalk vs TCP/IP), but provided they're both using the same protocol, it should work without any problems. If i'm not mistaken, the protocol is usually handled (switched) automatically by the client side (assuming it can support the protocol). I don't think you'll need to worry about the protocol settings, for the most part, between two MacOS's.

It's even possible to do this sort of thing cross platform (e.g. with Windoze).

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Rainy Day ]

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2002, 04:41 PM

Hi.

Thanks, Rainy Day.
Yes, i ment two different machines.
Is there any preferable choice as to which of the OS`s should be "client"?

Thanks.
Tom

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2002, 06:33 PM

It's possible in any angle, however I cannot help you with your question unless I get some more information.

Are the two computers on a network?
Over the Internet?
Connected to each other?
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2002, 12:51 AM

<STRONG>Hi.
Is there any preferable choice as to which of the OS`s should be "client"?
</STRONG>
It's arbitrary, really. It might be easiest to make the "receiving" computer the client as you would then mount the "sending" computer as a fileserver on the receiving computer(which just looks like HD icon on the desktop), and you can use the Finder to copy files. Depending on read/write permissions, this can go either way (which is why it's arbitrary). If you want, you can move a few files one direction, and some other files the other way.

I'm assuming you're doing this locally and not over the InterNet or anything but a private network. If that is not the case, there are security concerns which might make a difference which computer you want to set up as a server, etc. I'm also assuming you'll probably be using EtherNet to connect the two computers. If you're just connecting two computers together, you can use a single cross-over cable (and you won't need an EtherNet hub nor switch).

Hope this helps.

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 07:36 AM

Hi.

I will be using a single crossover ethernet cable, keeping it as simple as possible.
I`ll dig into it and come back to you if i don`t get it to work.
Thanks a bunch for you`re help so far

Tom.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2002, 01:18 PM

<STRONG>I`ll dig into it and come back to you if i don`t get it to work.
Thanks a bunch for you`re help so far </STRONG>
You're welcome!

It's really just a matter of making sure you have personal filesharing installed (which i think is part of the default install these days... and part of the online help system as well).

Best of luck.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 10:32 PM

I did this exact thing on 4 days ago. I used file sharing on both and connected via a crossover cable.

I mounted the hard drives on each machine and transferred away. I did have to make up an IP in tcp/ip settings, I don't know why, but all worked well.

Side note: I never networked much in OS 9, but have been introduced to it a lot in X. It works very well. File sharing and remotely loggin in are easy.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Cipher13
Jan 14, 2002, 11:23 PM

I just set up two OSX and one OS9 machine on my home network.

One tip: make sure "Ethernet" is on the top of the list under "Active Network Ports" in the Network prefs of the OSX machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules