Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Erasing partions??

Erasing partions??
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2001, 03:21 PM

Hi

Can i erase one partion on a HD without touching the other partions?
One of my partions contain a "corrupted" OSX installation and i would like to wipe it out completly before i have another go on installing OSX. I am currently running 9.1 on this machine.

If possible...how do i do it?
Thanks.
Tom

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2001, 12:32 AM

TechTools Pro allows you to erase a drive partition without touching other ones.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2001, 06:26 AM

If you are booted in OS 9.1 then shouldn't you be able to see all the partitions as mounted volumes? Erasing the particular partition would then be a simple matter of selecting that volume and "erasing disk" via the special menu in finder.

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2001, 08:04 AM

Hi.

Yes they are seen as mounted separate volumes. I was hoping for a simple solution like this one because then i would not have to move/backup all the "millions" of files on the three remaining partions. I have searched the archives of this forums and a few others, but have not found any information confirming that i can use the "erase disc" on one partion without affecting the others. So....is that the way it works?

About the first reply....thanks for the tip!
I will get myself a copy of this application....sounds useful to have around

Thanks a bunch both of you!
Tom

(Seems like i have a lot of CD writing to do this weekend )

Cipher13
Sep 1, 2001, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi.

Yes they are seen as mounted separate volumes. I was hoping for a simple solution like this one because then i would not have to move/backup all the "millions" of files on the three remaining partions. I have searched the archives of this forums and a few others, but have not found any information confirming that i can use the "erase disc" on one partion without affecting the others. So....is that the way it works?</STRONG>
Yes. Highlight the partition, go to Special -&gt; Erase Disk and it'll erase that partition alone.

WARNING: Check that the folder has no items on its Desktop or else you'll lose them - its an oversight thats easy to make; you forget to back them up cause they're on the Desktop, not in the partition icon...

muttfree
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2001, 09:50 AM

But also remember that the "erase disk" does NOT reformat nor initialize that partition, and if the install you had there was corrupted, just erasing it may leave behind some traces of the corruption in the form of bad blocks and/or boot sectors. You may find that a new installation might work ok, it might not. Of course if it doesnt, then you will need to reformat that entire disk, or get FWB toolkit, which will allow reformatting of partitions individually

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2001, 10:02 AM

Hi.

Thanks guys...you`ve been most helpful.
I`ll give it a try and see what happens. I have managed to make a back up of the "critical" important stuff on another machine. so i guess i`m safe for now. One more thing....what`s the FWB toolkit?

Thanks.
Tom

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2001, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi.

Thanks guys...you`ve been most helpful.
I`ll give it a try and see what happens. I have managed to make a back up of the "critical" important stuff on another machine. so i guess i`m safe for now. One more thing....what`s the FWB toolkit?

Thanks.
Tom</STRONG>
FWB (the company) make this software called Hard Disk Toolkit (HDT). The software comes in 2 forms, a personal edition (HDT PE) and the full blown one (HDT). HDT PE is good enough for most users. Both versions will allow for partitioning, formating, benchtesting, performance tweaking, encryption and performing a lot of other stuff to a hard disk that mere mortals wouldn't dare fool around with.

Real expensive though, and some say that other software developers offer better hd drivers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules