Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers"

The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers" (Page 6)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2015, 02:36 PM

ISPs really don’t want to follow new customer data privacy rules | Ars Technica
ISPs anticipate having to follow some version of the FCC's Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) rules that are applied to phone service, and they claim it will be a major burden. The extra work caused by protecting customer privacy is one of the recurring themes in declarations made by ISPs as part of the lawsuit filed on May 1 by the American Cable Association and National Cable & Telecommunications Association.
There's a sure way to generate goodwill towards your position.

reader50
Administrator
May 20, 2015, 03:19 PM

They're breaking my heart.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2015, 03:45 PM

Really, if there's a lesson to be learned here, it's that we've been obviously overburdening our telephone companies for decades. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2015, 04:04 PM

I'm going to remain bitter until the U.S. passes Bulgaria.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2015, 04:34 PM

Whatever, we're better than Canada and Mexico. #1 in NA baby!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2015, 05:53 PM

I would make a frozen tundra wasteland joke, but I'll be in Manitoba in two days, so I'll get back to this thread next week.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I would make a frozen tundra wasteland joke, but I'll be in Manitoba in two days, so I'll get back to this thread next week.
Mission?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Mission?
Retreat.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2015, 11:05 AM

No retreat, no surrender, Van Dammit!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2015, 09:25 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2015, 12:23 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2015, 01:26 PM

That's desperation, right there. Love it!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2015, 01:28 PM

I salute your glass half-full view.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2015, 10:05 AM

Here we go again
Charter Is Buying Time Warner Cable for $55 Billion
Guy on the radio is asked "Do you think this will be approved?" and he answers "This won't be as bad for consumers as the Comcast merger, so probably." How encouraging.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2015, 11:42 AM

Charter to buy Time Warner Cable, become second biggest broadband provider | Ars Technica
Comcast apparently supports Charter's purchase of TWC. "This deal makes all the sense in the world. I would like to congratulate all the parties," Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said in a statement sent to news organizations.
All the reason you need to oppose the merger.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 28, 2015, 04:13 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 02:46 PM

Comcast customer satisfaction rating plummets again | Ars Technica
Comcast's customer satisfaction scores have dropped again in all three triple-play categories, with the nation's largest cable and broadband company faring particularly poorly in pay-TV service.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 03:26 PM

Shocker.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 03:29 PM

It'd be better if we had let them buy Time Warner!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 03:54 PM

It's going to take a generation for this situation to work itself out. I don't see these companies out of our lives any time soon, if ever.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 03:58 PM

It comes down to infrastructure as a barrier to entry. Government should build the last mile (with fiber), but barring that, local loop unbundling. Otherwise, the only competition will be small start-ups selling wireless broadband.

Edit: Also, google. But they can't fiber up the entire US to make the ISPs play nice.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 03:59 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but municipal broadband has created a boom in every city that's implemented it. The only thing that seems to be holding back most mid-size cities would have to be deals with many of these major ISPs. I can't think of any other reason for them not to pursue it (other than sucking at their job).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 04:10 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but municipal broadband has created a boom in every city that's implemented it. The only thing that seems to be holding back most mid-size cities would have to be deals with many of these major ISPs. I can't think of any other reason for them not to pursue it (other than sucking at their job).
My crazy view on things is a country-wide fiber installation would be the most beneficial infrastructure addition to the US since the Interstate system. All the more poetic that it used to be called (sometimes) the "Information Super Highway".

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
My crazy view on things is a country-wide fiber installation would be the most beneficial infrastructure addition to the US since the Interstate system. All the more poetic that it used to be called (sometimes) the "Information Super Highway".
Sounds like communism to me you pinko.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Sounds like communism to me you pinko.
Tell that to Ike.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2015, 07:36 PM

Ike just wanted to be able to land bombers anywhere in the country.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2015, 09:49 AM

Ike just wanted to be able to land bombers anywhere in the country.
His means were still communistic.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2015, 01:46 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2015, 02:20 PM

His means were still communistic.
Personally, I'd say fascist.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2015, 02:22 PM

I could get behind that, they would actually complement each other well (sat content + wireless data).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2015, 02:28 PM

Personally, I'd say fascist.
Huh. I don't want to derail further, but I may ask about that another time.

I could get behind that, they would actually complement each other well (sat content + wireless data).
Yeah, my initial reaction isn't negative either. If we go by maxim about whether or not it's in the consumer's interest, I think T-Mobile getting more spectrum and resources to challenge the Big Two is definitely in the consumer's interest.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2015, 03:08 PM

I think Dish would actually be in the driver's seat in that merger, having more equity and all, but I agree, more resources to pressure Comcast, TWC, and AT&T, for the purpose of increasing competition, is a good thing. One thing I like about Dish is their tendency to expand and innovate (even if it does piss off many content providers), rather than just sit and rake in profits.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2015, 03:20 PM

I despise satellite tv, but that's not the factor in my thinking here.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2015, 03:39 PM

I hated it too, until I used their Hopper.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2015, 06:53 PM

I'm for almost anything that brings in a 3rd serious competitor to challenge AT&T and Verizon.

I'd really like 5 or 6 companies all beating each other to smithereens to try to earn our dollars. Y'all think this has a chance at being a good move for both Dish and T-Mobile?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2015, 04:19 AM

I'm for almost anything that brings in a 3rd serious competitor to challenge AT&T and Verizon.

I'd really like 5 or 6 companies all beating each other to smithereens to try to earn our dollars. Y'all think this has a chance at being a good move for both Dish and T-Mobile?
Yeah, I do. Dish has been hoarding up wireless spectrum, with the acquisition of T-Mobile they'll have nearly as much as Verizon (and more than AT&T).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2015, 09:08 AM

I hated it too, until I used their Hopper.
It's not about features, it's performance.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2015, 12:31 PM

Here's a humongous Effer.
Bell Media president says using VPNs to skirt copyright rules is stealing - Business - CBC News
Watching U.S. Netflix in Canada by using location-hiding services such as VPNs is stealing and needs to be more frowned upon, the new president of Bell Media says.

"It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix," she said, "like throwing garbage out your car window — you just don't do it."

"Not only does society not scold anyone for stealing content — we feature 'how to' articles in our national newspapers educating the masses on how to get around copyright law."
Feel free to point out my misunderstanding the law, but paying for a Netflix subscription and accessing it from a different location is not stealing. I imagine it's more like fraud, and good luck getting people to back you on watching content that is restricted for no logical reason as fraud, you gigantic scum-sucking pieces of shit.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 5, 2015, 12:47 PM

Actually, it's about content distribution deals among companies. Which members of the public aren't signatory parties to.

We aren't under any obligation to enforce their deals. VPN away until they start doing global distribution licenses, which they should have started doing 20 years ago.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Actually, it's about content distribution deals among companies. Which members of the public aren't signatory parties to.
I'm unclear on circumventing those blocks counts as some kind of DMCA (or similar Canadien legislation) violation or something. DMCA is the devil, after all.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
We aren't under any obligation to enforce their deals. VPN away until they start doing global distribution licenses, which they should have started doing 20 years ago.
More signs pointing to the Eurozone doing this. Hopefully it'll create a domino effect.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2015, 02:38 PM

Ah, my favorite subject, unfulfilled promises with tax breaks.
22 years after Verizon fiber promise, millions have only DSL or wireless | Ars Technica

A 22-year-old Verizon promise to bring fiber Internet or "comparable technology" to its entire service area in Pennsylvania has instead left more than two million homes with nothing but slower DSL or wireless service.
These effers 'accidentally' skipped over my mother's house when doing DSL, but managed to wire up the housing development 1/2 a mile down the road. Shucks!

In 1993, Verizon predecessor Bell signed an agreement with state regulators in which it committed "to deploy the technologies necessary to provide universal broadband availability in 2015. In order to meet this commitment, Bell plans to deploy a broadband network using fiber optics or other comparable technology that is capable of supporting services requiring bandwidth of at least 45 megabits per second or its equivalent."

In exchange, Verizon was allowed to charge higher phone rates. (More specifically, the company was freed from the restrictions of rate-of-return regulation.) But today, at least 2.1 million Pennsylvania households in Verizon's phone territory do not have access to the company's fiber network.
Overall, there are about "4.2 million residential households in Verizon’s service areas in Pennsylvania," the company also said. That leaves at least 2.1 million homes without fiber access. The real figure is likely more than that since the number of premises where fiber is available includes both homes and businesses. Verizon would not provide more exact numbers.

Telecom analyst Bruce Kushnick, who has been tracking telco company promises for years, wrote in his latest Huffington Post article that Verizon has gotten away with not deploying fiber throughout the state because officials have relaxed the requirements over the years, giving up on the "45 megabits per second" minimum and allowing Verizon to meet the obligation with wireless instead of fiber or other wireline technology.
Man, what a failure of a promise.

In the non-fiber portions of Verizon's territory, Verizon's website states that DSL "High Speed Internet" is available to "more than 1 million" households in Pennsylvania. Verizon's website labels anything that's at least 0.5Mbps as "High Speed Internet," though its DSL download speeds can be as high as 15Mbps. Anything that's at least 1.1Mbps is "High Speed Internet Enhanced" in Verizon's lingo, even though that's just a fraction of the nation's 25Mbps broadband definition.
As for wireless, Verizon's average LTE download speeds are 5 to 12Mbps. While Verizon offers a residential LTE service for people who can't get wired broadband, the speeds and data caps make it a poor substitute for fiber Internet.
My mother asked me how to stop her from getting overages when she doesn't watch video, but she skype's every day.

When Verizon signed its agreement in 1993, Pennsylvania defined broadband as 1.544Mbps downstream and 128kbps upstream. Even though Verizon's commitment specifically required 45Mbps by 2015, Verizon claimed in the year 2000 that it could satisfy the requirement by meeting the older 1.544Mbps/128kbps standard.

State utility officials initially resisted the change, ordering Verizon in 2002 to "provide plans and objectives to deploy broadband capability of at least 45Mbps upstream and downstream to the customer's premises and, in the interim, expanded DSL deployment at speeds of at least 1.544Mbps." Verizon won out in the end.

In New Jersey last year, Verizon convinced the state to let it meet similar broadband obligations with wireless instead of wireline Internet service.
They failed to meat broadband standards of 1993.

Separately, a union of telecommunications workers today accused Verizon of failing to maintain landlines throughout the Northeast.
My DSL can get real wonky when there's a hard rain.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2015, 11:59 AM

Verizon ordered to finish fiber build that it promised but didn’t deliver | Ars Technica
New York City officials today ordered Verizon to complete fiber builds that the company was supposed to finish a year ago. If Verizon doesn't comply, the city can seek financial damages.

“Through a thorough and comprehensive audit, we have determined that Verizon substantially failed to meet its commitment to the people of New York City,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “As I’ve said time and again, Verizon must deliver on its obligation to the City of New York and we will hold them accountable.”
Verizon is disputing New York City's findings. Verizon met the requirement to pass all households with fiber, though not all residents can actually buy fiber service, the company says. Verizon last year blamed landlords for delays. It also blamed Hurricane Sandy from October 2012, even though Verizon was still claiming to be "ahead of schedule" in April 2013.
The city's audit report said refusal of access by landlords cannot explain the full extent of Verizon's failure to bring fiber to all residents. Property managers interviewed by the city said Verizon has refused to extend service to buildings unless the company was granted exclusive agreements that would shut out other providers.

The city audit report said "Verizon must build facilities on every residential block in the City to comply with its households passed obligations."

"Because Verizon claims to have passed 100 percent of residential premises in the City, Verizon must no longer indicate that cable television service is 'unavailable' at any premises," the report also said. "Instead, Verizon must inform all prospective subscribers that they can place NSIs." The acronym refers to requests for "non-standard installation."

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2015, 12:40 PM

So awesome, and a great precedent to set.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2015, 09:55 PM

AT&T fined $100 million for misleading customers about 'unlimited' data plans

The Federal Communications Commission slapped AT&T with a $100 million fine Wednesday, accusing the country's second-largest cellular carrier of improperly slowing down Internet speeds for customers who had signed up for "unlimited" data plans.
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2015, 11:46 AM

What's the over/under on how many years that fine will be under appeal?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2015, 03:53 PM

It can only be appealed once, so likely not long at all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2015, 03:31 PM

My favorite punching bag back in the news
NYC: Verizon demands exclusive deals from landlords before installing FiOS | Ars Technica
City officials then interviewed five other property managers. "[T]wo of the interviewees’ statements supported the first property manager’s statement that Verizon was not completing NSIs because they wanted exclusive agreements for certain buildings before completion of the NSI," according to the audit report. "For example, one property manager from a well-known firm complained that Verizon would not complete the NSI at a building on Sutton Place unless 100 percent of the apartment dwellers committed to Verizon FiOS. This property manager also said only two of the eleven multiple dwelling properties he managed had Verizon FiOS and that installations took anywhere from six months to two years."
"The review of correspondence between Verizon and one complainant residing at 1612-1614 York Avenue indicated that Verizon asked for an exclusive agreement for the property owner’s building before Verizon would complete the NSI," the report said. "A Verizon representative stated in an e-mail dated June 19, 2014 that 'bulk properties receive priority regarding the FiOS build' and in an earlier e-mail dated May 31, 2013 that Verizon could expedite the build if the property owner agreed to a 'bulk agreement.' Also interviews with two property managers further confirmed that Verizon favored bigger buildings over smaller buildings for bulk agreements. When we spoke with the complainant at 1612-1614 York Avenue to get an update on the status of completion of the NSI, the complainant informed us that Verizon completed the NSI in April of 2015 but the complainant rejected cable service for the building because Verizon doubled the price per apartment unit from $100 in May of 2013 to $200 in April of 2015."

[B]New York City officials also reviewed Verizon's database, though Verizon allegedly refused to provide access within the 30 days required in the franchise agreement. It took city officials 147 days to gain access to the system.[/B

NYC found that for 37 properties out of the 99 that were examined, "Verizon exceeded the 12-month requirement for making service available to customers after households were passed" with fiber. In seven instances, Verizon's records claimed that the company brought service to a building before it had been passed by fiber, a physical impossibility. Further, "inconsistent recording" of service requests "resulted in unequal treatment of customers."

In the audit report's conclusion, NYC officials said that "Verizon must not give preference to buildings that agree to bulk agreements and must not seek bulk agreements with promises or intimations of preferential treatment."]

Verizon's official response to the report criticized this finding as being "based strictly on limited anecdotal evidence."
Separately, city officials say they have received allegations that Verizon has made it difficult for competitors to access conduits that "are supposed to be open to any independent Internet provider to lay its own fiber-optic cables," The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday.

The complaints center on a longstanding Verizon rule that prevents competitors from inspecting manholes and pipes themselves, instead requiring them to pay Verizon for inspections. The Journal paraphrased a Verizon spokesperson as saying that "the company charges fair prices for inspections that are already regulated by either the city or New York state’s Public Service Commission, depending on the borough."
I can't believe these effers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2015, 09:20 AM

Time Warner Cable owes $229,500 to woman it would not stop calling | Reuters
Time Warner Cable Inc must pay the insurance claims specialist $229,500 for placing 153 automated calls meant for someone else to her cellphone in less than a year, even after she told it to stop, a Manhattan federal judge ruled on Tuesday.
But in awarding triple damages of $1,500 per call for willfully violating that law, U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein said "a responsible business" would have tried harder to find Perez and address the problem.

He also said 74 of the calls had been placed after King sued in March 2014, and that it was "incredible" to believe Time Warner Cable when it said it still did not know she objected.

"Defendant harassed plaintiff with robo-calls until she had to resort to a lawsuit to make the calls stop, and even then TWC could not be bothered to update the information in its IVR system," Hellerstein wrote.

The last 74 calls, he added, were "particularly egregious violations of the TCPA and indicate that TWC simply did not take this lawsuit seriously."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 8, 2015, 10:02 AM

Awesome

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2015, 11:06 AM

Reading this thread reminds me of why, every time I watch a western, I wish I could be transported back to that time. Then I remember I'd be the weakling in the posse who gets shot off his horse at the beginning of the final shoot-out.

At least the Time Warner story carries some good news. Shoot, I'd welcome those calls if I could walk away with $230k.

Forum Links
Forum Rules