Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone won't charge?

iPhone won't charge?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 09:39 AM

I have seen similar posts about using iPod chargers, but this seems a bit different.

My wife's iPhone has stopped accepting a charge from her bundled iPhone charger. The battery indicator was red, so we plugged it into her charger, and it beeps and the screen lights up. The lightning bolt shows in the small battery icon in the upper right corner of the screen. However, within a minute or two, the "plug" symbol appears in the battery icon, while the large battery in the middle of the screen still shows essentially zero charge (red, and a small red bar showing charge state). We left it on the charger overnight, and it still doesn't work.

I tried plugging it into my iPhone charger, and it does the same thing.

Is this something where I can bring it into the Apple store, and they will swap it out on the spot? Or will I have to call Apple? (We bought our phones on launch day, so it is about 4 months old now).

Thanks
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 07:49 PM

Update...

I restarted her phone today, and it jumped from zero charge to essentially full charge.

I guess I will have to keep an eye on that...
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

everslage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

I was gettig so frustrated because my iphone would not charge either and I tried restarting it and it says it is fully charged. Thanks for the help.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2008, 05:39 PM

I've noticed the same behavior on mine in the following instance and seems to be replicable: use until it powers off then plug in to charge. Let it stay to full charge, or at least when it should be whether that is overnight or 8+ hours elsewhere. And unplug it. Still shows as dead. Reboot and power is seen as it should be.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
...Is this something where I can bring it into the Apple store, and they will swap it out on the spot? Or will I have to call Apple? (We bought our phones on launch day, so it is about 4 months old now)...
Although it seems like this is a software problem, (has anyone filed a bug report through the Apple feedback page?) this is absolutely an issue to take to an Apple Store. Just last week my MacBook's charger stopped working. Upon inspection, there were burn marks where the cable attached to the MagLock. The Apple Store was my first stop. They replaced it on the spot, even though its been out of warranty for a while.

davigoli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2009, 10:31 PM

I've noticed a similar problem, but with slight variations. When I plug my iPhone into my MacBook, it charges for less than a minute, then stops charging. I have to keep unplugging/replugging the phone to get any charge. The phone will lose charge even when plugged in.

But if I plug the phone into a wall outlet, it charges fine.

I have not had any problems with syncing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules