Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Idea....themers read

Idea....themers read (Page 2)
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by MorphOSX:
I'm already drooling

Dave
lol glad you like what you see so far. I'm going to rework the buttons before I'm done, I don't like them the way they are now.

So anyone up to maybe making some icons and desktops for it?
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 10:59 AM

Pretty nice. Eventhough I'm not a big fan of army green colors, your dark green mock-up is promising. Keep going
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 07:08 PM

Here's an idea I've been toying around with lately...

I dunno if it would be considered too Shinobi-ish though.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Sage:

Ya glowing LEDs are kinda cool.
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 8, 2003, 12:18 AM

Its cool, has the Shake feel.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 01:25 AM

Thanks!

I'll probably wait on it until the SS version with Omega comes out to see if there are any extra goodies (not to mention I'll have more time then, since Finals week is coming up soon!)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 01:46 AM

Thanks!

I'll probably wait on it until the SS version with Omega comes out to see if there are any extra goodies (not to mention I'll have more time then, since Finals week is coming up soon!)
You kinda gave me an idea for an end light on the buttons, (nothing like yours) I'll work it into my mockup.
click one

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
You kinda gave me an idea for an end light on the buttons, (nothing like yours) I'll work it into my mockup.
No prob. This is an open source project of sorts, so feel free to adapt ideas.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 09:43 PM

NetworkShadow ... I like your Halo concept, it's really nice. However, my only suggestion is that you tone down the glare and amount of shine in the overall look. The textures in Halo seem more dusty and rugged to me. Here is what I propose:

Just some constructive criticism. Of course, it is your theme so do what you want with it man

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 10:19 PM

Heh heh... knowing NetworkShadow, he absolutely loves shine (just look at Dark Glass and his website ). Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I think it'll take some extra convincing to get him to tone it down.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 10:26 PM

Somewhere in between maybe? I like and would use either one.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 10:28 PM

Ya I indeed plan on making the metal more warn looking once I get to the point of doing the finished art.

Your mockup has lost the metallic look and has more of a plastic look, but maybe a bit more like the Halo 2 armor in the 2nd screen. I intend on keeping the metallic look in mine. As for the dark widget cap, the lights like that are on the green metal on the actual armor design, but I may try like you did. Thanks for the input.

Edit: wow replies before I'm done replaying myself. Ya I may tone it down just a bit, but not a lot I know I want to keep it as metallic as I can.

Hay how about a theme based on the aliens?
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 04:00 AM

something to look at;

http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=37857

Secondly:

I love the theme so far. NS; it's going to rock hard. As for the end result, is there any way we can eventually do alternate colors? (Blue, green, grey, etc.)?

The game offers multiple armor colors in Multiplayer mode, perhaps it's something that could be added?

Dave

Edit: http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=37755 is an example of what i'm talking about.
( Last edited by MorphOSX; Dec 9, 2003 at 04:06 AM. )

RydDragyn
Dec 9, 2003, 03:23 PM

A Covenant theme? As long as the colors are balanced (i.e. not all blue). And yeah, that would be shiny.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 04:33 PM

can you do this now with themes? or could you always do it?

like the first one would be the standard look and then the second would be the mouse over. if anyone knows what i mean by this then let me know the answer. That would be cool to do, have it like disappear on mouse over. And even maybe do it for the right side also?

RydDragyn
Dec 9, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
can you do this now with themes? or could you always do it?

like the first one would be the standard look and then the second would be the mouse over. if anyone knows what i mean by this then let me know the answer. That would be cool to do, have it like disappear on mouse over. And even maybe do it for the right side also?
I know what you mean, and I suspect that's it's possible, but I don't think I would like it necessarily. At least with this color scheme and theme concept. For a theme that was in imitation of flashing lights and LED's, it would be entirely appropriate.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 07:36 PM

A covenant theme would kick ass.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by RydDragyn:
A Covenant theme? As long as the colors are balanced (i.e. not all blue). And yeah, that would be shiny.
Mostly purple. I'll work on that after this theme and my other one.
click one

firn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 11:13 PM

I started working on a covenant theme when I first saw the master chief one...not much now, it's hard to make the cov colors not look ugly. I'll post a screen of what I'm working on tommorrow if I have the time.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by firn:
I started working on a covenant theme when I first saw the master chief one...not much now, it's hard to make the cov colors not look ugly. I'll post a screen of what I'm working on tommorrow if I have the time.
Cool. Actually I was working on a chrome theme mockup some time ago and tried purple with it and it looked like a covenant gun, I'll post a little sample of the chrome I was using.
click one

firn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 11:33 PM

Cool. Actually I was working on a chrome theme mockup some time ago and tried purple with it and it looked like a covenant gun, I'll post a little sample of the chrome I was using.
I'm currently using just the flat color which I'm going to crome later on, but I'm sure what you've done will give me many ideas

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 01:28 AM

Here's a few ideas for color and chrome... Maybe one with more red would be best? Ignore my horrid widgets.

Here are some more screens:

The purple in this one would rock:

http://www.bungie.net/images/site/ha...s/scrn_096.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/site/ha...s/scrn_018.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/site/ha...s/scrn_014.jpg
click one

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 01:39 AM

I think the purple looks best on the plasma pistol. Also, the LED thing that shows it charging on the pistol would be nice to integrate.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Fluid:
I think the purple looks best on the plasma pistol. Also, the LED thing that shows it charging on the pistol would be nice to integrate.
Ya that's the one and the automatic plasma rifle I had in mind, it's very shiny and that heat gage it really cool.

here are a few more good screens:
Here's the guns we like:

http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/x....032002/11.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/x...101/scrn05.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/a....103003/18.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/f...d111501/34.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/f...d111501/31.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/g...makingof_1.jpg
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 02:45 AM

I deffinitely like the second bar there, it fits in well with the theme i see in the guns.

Dave

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 08:19 AM

The Covenant theme came out pretty well. I wasn't expecting to like it. The button in the mockup is awesome, but I prefer the third title bar (square widgets). Awesome work on both themes. Do we have an ETA for either?

FB Eye
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 02:36 PM

I think these themes looks nice. Very minimalistic and simple:

http://www.customize.org/view/30042

http://screenshots.haque.net/screens...nshot-4574.jpg

I think we need more simple themes like FatalE or ChosenOS...
( Last edited by FB Eye; Dec 10, 2003 at 04:33 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
The Covenant theme came out pretty well. I wasn't expecting to like it. The button in the mockup is awesome, but I prefer the third title bar (square widgets). Awesome work on both themes. Do we have an ETA for either?
Well no real time frame for ether, and I don't know if I'll keep going on with the Covenant theme. If someone whants my .ai file with the mockup let me know.

I'll keep going with the Master Chief theme, but I wouldn't expect it until Jan at the soonest. Plus I need someone to put it together for me since I haven't mastered Theme Park yet.
click one

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 03:59 PM

Good stuff. I like the black one.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:

...or greyscale, by honz, the one pictured in trillian there. Looks very nice, but it would have to wait until shapeshifter supports borders (if ever). About chosenOS, though, I hope that when swiz ports it to panther it will be, well, better. I never really cared for the mac version, the apple menu, and how he used the XP-style scroll bar arrows instead of the more mac os 9-like triangles for the scroll bars, like the ORIGINAL chosenOS. This Halo theme seems nice, but it also seems like something I'd get bored of after a few days. the one that Carbon drew was nicer IMHO; nicer on the eyes. Same with the black area where the close/min/max widgets are.
( Last edited by Frisbee; Dec 11, 2003 at 06:52 AM. )

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 11:50 PM

I really like what I'm seeing in this thread so far. Did anybody do anything else with that Ice/Frost theme mockup? Here's another mini-idea to play with if anybody wants to think about getting another crew together for another project. I like the widgets the most really, I haven't bothered thinking about scroll bars, buttons were going to be pretty similar to the widgets.

|wishing is for suckers|

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 12:23 AM

just a note on the Halo armor theme, carbon's mockup is sharper than mine due to jpeg compression differences. It's a lot sharper on my .ai file, I'll try and save a higher quality mockup next time.
I do plan on making it a bit cleaner, but I intend on keeping the look from the game.

I also need to finish my other theme that has not yet been seen by anyone before I get this out off the ground.
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 01:02 AM

just a note on the Halo armor theme, carbon's mockup is sharper than mine due to jpeg compression differences. It's a lot sharper on my .ai file, I'll try and save a higher quality mockup next time.
I do plan on making it a bit cleaner, but I intend on keeping the look from the game.

I also need to finish my other theme that has not yet been seen by anyone before I get this out off the ground.
thank the lord.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
thank the lord.
Ya I know you want me to get on that one. I really haven't spent a lot of time on the halo one that would have been put toward my other theme, I've got to finish my finals before I can really get to work on them (next week I'll be done with school) and then I'll really get something done on them.
click one

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2003, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by FB Eye:

The First one fully rocks. If someone did this, I would totally be willing to contribute my TransMin Icons to go with it (see earlier page in this thread!)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
The First one fully rocks. If someone did this, I would totally be willing to contribute my TransMin Icons to go with it (see earlier page in this thread!)
Ya cool, we should split this topic up into separate projects and use this topic as a brain storming topic for new ideas.
click one

1c3
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 05:17 PM

I have an ice mockup if anyone can host it.
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by 1c3:
Sure, send me an email: nfdman AT spymac.com
click one

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by 1c3:
1c3's ice mockup:
click one

1c3
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 11:15 AM

I know that the button is like *puke*
But I like the widgets and that,,
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 01:01 PM

I see where you're going with this, but as I said before, I think ice could go somewhere different... like just imagine real ice, how it's kinda bumpy and clearish blue... I think this theme could look much cooler and different, maybe with some help from SS.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
NetworkShadow ... I like your Halo concept, it's really nice. However, my only suggestion is that you tone down the glare and amount of shine in the overall look. The textures in Halo seem more dusty and rugged to me. Here is what I propose:

Just some constructive criticism. Of course, it is your theme so do what you want with it man

//Carbon
This looks great! But I think there should be some more battle tear in this, some scratches, smudges, etc... maybe as one of the variants. This is really kick ass, thanks carbon. (I say 1 week until a windows port).

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
This looks great! But I think there should be some more battle tear in this, some scratches, smudges, etc... maybe as one of the variants. This is really kick ass, thanks carbon. (I say 1 week until a windows port).
lol ya stupid PeeCee users. I'm not going to show a lot more mockups to keep the complete look from being stolen.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 10:48 PM

I just played Halo and it's like

Mac007
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 11:58 PM

If you folks want some inspiration you could look to what themers did with Kaleidoscope. The new and updated themes archives are closed for new additions which is understandable but the themes archived there are still viewable. So look around and see if you get any good ideas.

Kaleidoscope Theme Archives

Here's an example of a theme I liked:

P.S. I know some of these themes are not practical from a developers sense but that doesn't mean they can't inspire you to design something even better.
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

1c3
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 05:19 PM

Feela like this thread has died... ^^
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

solidfox
Dec 18, 2003, 02:34 PM

1c3's ice mockup:
This is a plastic like gradient with a regular shape, just as phillryu points out ice is a transparent metal, much like glass, that is (most often) formed by nature; which means, it's completely irregular. Also brushed ice should look somewhat like brushed metal...somewhat...

And it's transparent or white...the blue would be reflections...maybe.
( Last edited by solidfox; Dec 18, 2003 at 02:43 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I just played Halo and it's like
Ya I've been playing it for almost 2 years now. ^^
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules