Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Function keys and "åöä"

Function keys and "åöä"
1c3
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 04:14 AM

Hi!

I'm currently working for my father at his company and some time ago they upgraded to OS X.
Their economydepartment (It's not that big that you actually would call it a department though haha) are using someting called Infoflex wich is a UNIX-based server app for handling economy stuff, inventory, customers etc. from many computers.

They have been using Reflection 2+ for emulating a terminal to communicate with the server, however it has to be run in classic and that can be pretty slow sometimes. And it seems like the company that made Reflection has stopped supporting Mac (probably because no terminal emulator is required anymore).

Now, to my question, I've managed to connect and login to the Infoflex-server using telnet.
However I can't get swedish letters (å, ä & ö) to work, I've tried all the diffrent charsets and no one works! The function keys wich are used in Infoflex to navigate are also "malfunctioning", when pressed something like "[~5" is output. There is also one issue with colors but that is no big deal.

Any idea how you might get this to work?

Thanks in advance!
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 09:36 PM

I'm kind-of just shooting in the dark here, but I have an idea:

1-Tell the terminal to escape non-ASCII characters
2-Turn off "use option key as meta key"
3-Pick a character set encoding that your software supports (unicode?)

In this mode, you still don't see the special characters, but at least they get sent.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

1c3  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 03:07 PM

1. Tried with it both on and off.
2. Didn't try that, I'll do it as soon as I get back to work tomorrow!
3. Tried every singel charset there is

I also tried some of the terminal emulation apps for os x I could find but none of them could support the function keys or swedish letters...

^^ Guess they'll have to continue to run Reflection under Classic mode.. ^^
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

Crimson
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2005, 07:21 AM

ok, I'm forced to keep my terminal.app set to use ISO 8859-1/15 to see äöå properly in irc. If I set terminal to UTF-8 and use luit to set charset for remote screen session, I lose local screen's äöå... the main bugger is ls, it will not show äöå in file/directory names.

Forum Links
Forum Rules