Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where to go for a romantic getaway?

Where to go for a romantic getaway?
keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 7, 2005, 01:46 PM

Fully realizing that turning to technology geeks (including myself) for romantic advice is sort of like asking Larry the Cableguy to intelligently discuss world politics, but here it goes anyway

My fiancé and I are looking to spend a few days in the middle of December somewhere fun and romantic and unique. I'm tired of Googling and getting every sort of super commercial place or website. What are some of the best places you've stayed or heard about?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Tailand is great, and St. Thomas was very relaxing (where we went for our honeymoon). Both rank high on the romance-o-meter.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 01:57 PM

Pitsburg. The love capital of the world.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 02:00 PM

Where we go a lot:

www.sealevelcottages.com

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 02:02 PM

Is there anywhere you or her have ever dreamed of going? I'm sure she's had fantasies of some guy sweeping her off her feet and taking her ??? somewhere.
Fiji is beautiful and has some very isolated spots.
Marbella, Spain
Mexico
Tuscany
Zermatt
Cairo
What's your budget and what kind of climate, setting, level of adventure do you want. Most countries have at least 1 nice place to visit.

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 02:10 PM

Not sure what your into - but Sedona, AZ would be my suggestion. The red rocks there are just breath taking (although vacation retreats are popping up there more than you would like). Not much to do there though - its pretty much a place to relax, go hiking, take a tour of the area (grand canyon is about 45-60min away).

One caveat - I'm not sure where you'll be arriving from - but December is really not their high season (Arizonians usually go there for the "cooler" temps in the summer) as the temperatures can be as low as in the 30s in the evening. But it does get up to the 60-70s during the day. We were there over the x-mas holiday, and actually liked it better as it wasn't as populated. But it does make the sunrise tours and walks a bit cold.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 02:11 PM

Fiji is overrated.

Moorea/Tahiti is nice. St. Thomas. Abacos ( www.sealevelcottages.com ) Bahamas is great.

Heck, even a romantic weekend in a local hotel is wonderful if you do it right.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by keekeeree
Fully realizing that turning to technology geeks (including myself) for romantic advice is sort of like asking Larry the Cableguy to intelligently discuss world politics, but here it goes anyway

My fiancé and I are looking to spend a few days in the middle of December somewhere fun and romantic and unique. I'm tired of Googling and getting every sort of super commercial place or website. What are some of the best places you've stayed or heard about?
Your local Apple Store. Duh.

You can buy his and her iBooks.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 02:52 PM

we were in london at the time, but a friend and i took 3 days off and went to paris. very nice 3 days, the lourve, the eiffel tower, sacre coure. we had a great time.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 03:07 PM

jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 04:20 PM

Cruises are good if you like overeating and getting sloppy drunk.
If you're on a budget, get away from the city and find yourself a nice bed & breakfast. Do some 'you can't do it in the city' type stuff, like walking around otuside after dark, etc.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jcadam
Do some 'you can't do it in the city' type stuff, like walking around otuside after dark, etc.
Depends on the city and disctrict.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 04:38 PM

Yeah, double post !

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 04:40 PM

To the sack?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
To the sack?
TO THE SACK!!!
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 04:50 PM

Key West is nice, as long as you stay away from Duval St.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2005, 05:15 PM

Cruises do not require you to get sloppy drunk. In fact the Royal Caribbean cruises I've been on had very few sloppy drunks-though a lot of us compensated for percieved ocean roll with a little alcoholic lubrication... And you can be as romantic as you can dream up on a cruise. A couple of days at sea is refreshing, and the accomodations are usually wonderful.

And Duval St. in Key West is only bad if you insist on spending a lot of time in touristy bars. It's a pretty street (much nicer looking than Bourbon St. in New Orleans ever was), and it has a number of very nice restaurants that do not cater to loud and obnoxious clients.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 06:51 PM

Depends on where you are and your budget. Thailand isn't great in January and always a risk of being the next Bali.

Sydney is great as it's summer there. Bondi Beach is tremendous.

Maldives. Or maybe a few days in Paris.

A weekend in Vegas can always be fun if in the right frame of mind.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 07:32 PM

Kauai. Forgot to mention it. Stay at the Princeville Resort --->

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 07:43 PM

I think Prague, Czech Republic is the most beautiful city I've ever been in. If I had a fiancé and I wanted to go somewhere and was prepared to pay for international travel, that's where I'd go. It's unbelievably beautiful with the castle up on the hill right in the middle of the city. Also, the food is great if you like Eastern European food with sausage, dumplings and sauerkraut. Hell, even if you don't like those things, you might still like them in Europe because they're so much better than the crap we get here.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 7, 2005 at 07:51 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules