Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backing up User profile and restore it on a mac with Active Directory

Backing up User profile and restore it on a mac with Active Directory
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
May 24, 2012, 01:10 PM

I work for an university and I'm struggling to find a easy proper way to manually back up "AND" restore client's user profile on Snow Leopard/Lion OS with Active Directory password in sync.

Let me explain you here what I did:

I wanted to back up User home folders so that they can easily be restored to another computer or the same computer while preserving proper permissions, ACLs, and file/folder ownership.

To backup:
I used "Disk Utility" to backup the user home folder.
-Login as a local administrator, but not as the user account you want to backup.
-Launch Disk Utility.
-Choose File » New » Image from Folder...
-Select the user's home folder /Users/[username].
-Save the disk image to your external drive to back up.
-Enter an admin username and password when prompted.

To restore:
-When starting with a freshly restored or new computer use the Setup Assistant to create a local admin account that is NOT the same user name and short name as the user you are restoring.
-Logged in as a local administrator account.
-Mount the disk image from the backup drive of the user's home folder.
-Switch to the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the Dock.
-Choose 'Go To Folder' from the Go menu.
-Type /Users/ and click Go.
-Copied the mounted disk image (not the disk image itself, but the white mounted disk image icon on the desktop) to the /Users folder by dragging it and holding the Command key. A green plus sign on the icon will indicate a copy and not a move is about to be performed.

When the copy is complete, the user's home folder restored with all its sub-folders, and all previous ownership and permissions.

I logged out my local Administrator account and an Active Directory client tried to log in with his/her account. The message popped out on the login screen saying;

"Unable to create mobile account. There was a problem while creating or accessing "/Users/username".

I do not want to create a local username via System Preferences with the same username because I want a Mac to communicate with Active Directory in sync. I do not want to depend or create a local user profile account then the local user profile password will not work with AD password when a client reset their password.

I wasn't sure if I should uncheck or check the "create Mobile account" on OS X Directory Service? Wouldn't that make any difference?

Thanks!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2012, 01:50 PM

This should be easily supported given that OS X has had Directory Service support for some time. Have you read all you can find on OS X Active Directory support?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 01:59 PM

It sounds like what you really want is a mobile account.

I normally use a Mac Server attached to the AD to do this but try the following if you can:

In the AD, go to the 'Profile' tab of the users AD account settings;
Change the 'Home Folder' from "Local Path" to "Connect to";
Specify a drive letter that AD isn't using for anything else in case they log into a Windows machine again some day;
Give the path of an AD file server where you want to back up their home folder;
Bind the client Mac to the AD making sure you specify to create a mobile account when logging in;

Test and see what happens. If you want greater control of what exactly does and doesn't sync as well as other preferences, you might need to get a Mac Mini Server (Or other Lion Server) and set up what is called the magic or golden triangle. Give this a go and see what happens first though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules