Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Treo and Parallels

Treo and Parallels
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 01:14 AM

I ran a search and couldn't find an answer so if this has been covered before please point me to it.

I've installed parallels on my Mini and it is a great product. However, it won't find my Treo 700W when connected via USB. I have read that there are limitations to parallels and their USB implementation. Am I simplly not able to ActiveSync through Parallels?

My next step is to install boot camp.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 01:19 AM

You probably know this already, but forum.parallels.com is quite an active forum devoted especially to Parallels.

My experience is that Parallel’s USB support is not yet complete, and USB devices that work are an exception rather than the rule.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2006, 09:34 AM

From what I've seen, Parallels needs not only a decent driver for your specific USB device, but you must also add the hardware as a separate step-it's not really "Windows-like" in this regard.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrowww
Jun 5, 2006, 12:37 PM

it seems as though for every user who is having good luck w/ parallels, another one is having USB issues. hopefully this is something that will be fixed by the general release.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 12:56 PM

USB support seems better in RC2, although it's still only USB 1.1

To the OP: My hx2415 (Windows Mobile 2003) was recognized instantly by Parallels and syncs without any issues. Have you updated to RC2? Also, did you install ActiveSync before connecting your Treo?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. After checking out the parallels forum cc_foo recommended I was able to get parallels to recognize the Treo. It seemed to be working except when I tried to install the Treo update it failed halfway through. It may have been because it turned the Treo off and it didn't show up properly upon restart.

In the end, I ended up using a friend's Dell to install the Treo update but am able to use parallels for normal activesync.

harrowww
Jun 6, 2006, 08:53 AM

sounds good, I've had a lot of luck w/ the parallels forum as well (http://forum.parallels.com) for those of you who haven't visited it. there seem to be a lot of users on there having similar issues, and someone is always able to figure out the problem someway or another.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 11:36 AM

I've looked through the Parallels forum too, but still cant' get my Treo to sync on Parallels, but no luck. Since I develop for Windows Mobile, I'd like to sync Can you point me to what you did?

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 12:26 PM

Do a search for treo in the parallels forum. What I did was setup a serial connection in parallels and then using a WM5.0 utility I downloaded from the forum I had my Treo connect using Serial over USB and it worked. Another thing I needed to do was uninstall all the drivers and active sync and then reinstall it once I had setup the Treo over Serial.

I think I read that the utility is installed with the Treo update so you may have it already.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthrea...highlight=700w

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 11:49 PM

Ah. OK. I think I'd prefer pure USB connection instead of the Serial over USB. Debugging over that is too slow.

harrowww
Jun 8, 2006, 10:42 AM

are you losing speed/performance using the serial instead of USB?

Forum Links
Forum Rules