Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > missing disk space?

missing disk space?
GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2000, 07:44 AM

Just installed OS 9.0.4 on a rev B iMac and within 72 hours of use have lost account of 0.8 GB is Hard disk space! I remember seeing in a forum somewhere that this is a 'bug' in the OS not dumping files from an invisible temp file, but I can't find the reference.
Any help as to a script that will dump the files at shutdown or startup would be appreciated.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 15, 2000, 08:30 AM

Empty Temp Folder , freeware app

Memory Contents Fixer , ditto

use 'em both, it can't hurt...

Misha
Professional Poster
May 15, 2000, 11:21 AM

You may have a messed up Volume Bitmap header, too... Norton or DiskWarrior can fix that. TechTool Pro can too, although I prefer the other two to it.

Melinda P. Helfer
May 17, 2000, 12:01 AM

It is definitely a 9/9.0.4 problem. They "forgot" to delete temporary items. There is a free tool called AutoPurge you can put in your Startup Folder that will take up the slack until they fix it reportedly in 9.1.

Look for it at www.versiontracker.com. The first time it runs, you'll get all the space back and it will keep your disk clean from then on.

Melinda

Forum Links
Forum Rules