Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari -- Apple Branded Web Browser Discussion

Safari -- Apple Branded Web Browser Discussion (Page 5)
Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 10:23 AM

I'm using Safari and I don't have a problem with .Mac, VersionTracker or Hotmail !!

All work fine for me, login, etc.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 10:52 AM

I had been using Safari since Tuesday and all was great (except for the well-documented error with HTTPS sites). However, I cleared the cache last night from the menu bar and this morning I attempt to launch Safari, it bounces twice, then the "application unexpectedly quit.." error appears. I deleted the app, downloaded again and installed.. same error?

I know this is beta, just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue..

Tks

Patrick

spiznet
Jan 10, 2003, 03:32 PM

Yes its the fastest thing I can do on my G4-500Mhz in OSX!

Woohoo!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by pjmurphy:
I had been using Safari since Tuesday and all was great (except for the well-documented error with HTTPS sites). However, I cleared the cache last night from the menu bar and this morning I attempt to launch Safari, it bounces twice, then the "application unexpectedly quit.." error appears. I deleted the app, downloaded again and installed.. same error?

I know this is beta, just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue..

Tks

Patrick
Yep I had the same problem, I think it's a problem with corrupted prefs, just trash the prefs file inside your home folder.

nelliott
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 06:58 PM

Don't know if its been mentioned, but I just found another neat thing about Safari.

If you minimise a window to the dock then 'command ~' to cycle through the windows, the minimised window doesn't maximise itself - it just stays in the dock. IE always maximises the docked windows if you cycle through them.

Very useful!

Avon
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 07:13 PM

I am in Love with Safari. I have no beef with it whatsoever. The only feature I wanted (Cloning) just got added today by that 3rd party utility.

All i ever wanted was a fast browser that took advantage of services. I used to use omniweb but that is really dog slow.

Thank heavens for Safari.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
""We are going to make the browser an integrated part of the OS," said Oren Ziv, creative markets director for Apple Europe. "Developers will be able to draw on browser functionality in other applications, without needing to build that functionality from scratch.""[/URL]
For %^&*#^$ sake - my absolute passionate hatred for Windows started when Microsoft embedded IE into Windows, that OS has been truly %^&#ed up ever since. Imagine trying to sort out major problems that IE is causing but the damn thing is always loaded, embedded into the OS, can't remove it, can't unload it from memory, can't anything, the OS runs dog slower because of it, IE didn't perform better because of it (hell the first version of IE, 4, that embedded was the biggest and slowest piece of crap version that ever came out), etc etc etc... not to mention that, even if it is working fine, why the hell do you want an entire web browser used just so you can look at files on a floppy disk or your hard drive or whatever, or if you want to use another browser you have to live with having two browsers installed and in memory at all times anyway nothing you can do about it, etc etc...

VERY disappointed Apple is now going to go down that same route - when I switched to OSX from Windows I was so glad to be away from that kind of %^&#ed up approach.

I loved Safari and I was already using it full time, but now I despise its intentions...

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 08:23 PM

I think they mean that they will integratethe browser not as the file viewer but as a accesibble framework that anyone can call on to render HTML. Just another view in a window. It could be used in the Help viewer and HTML writing Apps to make a fully featured preview view. Could be useful.

Windows does it badly with a web browser interface everywhere. Is it the web or is it my rather stupidly named C Drive.
David.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:57 PM

New version is out... what did they change? of course it doesn't tell you.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by DavidHossack:
I think they mean that they will integratethe browser not as the file viewer but as a accesibble framework that anyone can call on to render HTML. Just another view in a window. It could be used in the Help viewer and HTML writing Apps to make a fully featured preview view. Could be useful.

Windows does it badly with a web browser interface everywhere. Is it the web or is it my rather stupidly named C Drive.
I agree. I don't think they meant that in the M$ way. It will be just like the AddressBook APIs. Any app will be able to utilize the rendering engine, WebCore.
Vandelay Industries

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2003, 09:24 PM

One really good thing and 2 really bad things.
The good one first. FINALLY I can see properly the greek html pages. It was about time....
And I didn't had to do anything. Worked right "out of the box"... With explorer you had to mess with some stuff to get some really bad results.

And the bad things now. I really misss the progress bar of explorer. Where you see what exactly the html is downloading in to your computers cache. Especially on some heavy flash driven sites you can see eg that you have 800KB to download. But on safari you can't see anything. You just wait to see what happens. And you don't know when this will happen.
One more thing. I use 2 monitors (powerbooks lcd and external crt.). With explorer I was used to do scrolling on whatever window I wanted even if it wasn't highlighted. With safari I can scroll only on the activated window.
This is bad
Abyway for a beta is pretty good.

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by phobos:
But on safari you can't see anything. You just wait to see what happens. And you don't know when this will happen.
Im not quite sure this will help, but there is a progress bar in the adress bar

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
New version is out... what did they change? of course it doesn't tell you.
Check David Hyatt's blog..he's been posting updates they've made (but won't tell when they will release)

http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 09:51 PM

What's a blog? Also, do we keep using the bug icon or is there a bugzilla type url we can use?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
What's a blog? Also, do we keep using the bug icon or is there a bugzilla type url we can use?
blog = weblog

-matt

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 10:09 PM

One really good thing and 2 really bad things.
The good one first. FINALLY I can see properly the greek html pages. It was about time....
And I didn't had to do anything. Worked right "out of the box"... With explorer you had to mess with some stuff to get some really bad results.

And the bad things now. I really misss the progress bar of explorer. Where you see what exactly the html is downloading in to your computers cache. Especially on some heavy flash driven sites you can see eg that you have 800KB to download. But on safari you can't see anything. You just wait to see what happens. And you don't know when this will happen.
One more thing. I use 2 monitors (powerbooks lcd and external crt.). With explorer I was used to do scrolling on whatever window I wanted even if it wasn't highlighted. With safari I can scroll only on the activated window.
This is bad
Abyway for a beta is pretty good.
The Activity window shows the progress of every element on a page.
Vandelay Industries

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
I agree. I don't think they meant that in the M$ way. It will be just like the AddressBook APIs. Any app will be able to utilize the rendering engine, WebCore.
Ah, hope you're right - that approach would be great (silly to have every application implementing it themselves), Microsoft's way I absolutely cannot stand.

jlcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 12:06 AM

The minimize and maximize window buttons on my Safari windows have disappeared. They are there but not visible. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 01:17 AM

Probably because you are running a theme that doesn't have support for the new brushed metal widgets.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2003, 03:52 AM

Go to the "View" menu and check "Status Bar". It will appear at the bottom of the window.

jlcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
Probably because you are running a theme that doesn't have support for the new brushed metal widgets.
Yes I used Themer. I doesn't seem like I can revert back to original Aqua. What can I do?

Thanks

ambush
Banned
Jan 11, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by jlcrane:
Yes I used Themer. I doesn't seem like I can revert back to original Aqua. What can I do?

Thanks
Download AquaFix from versiontracker and download our theme switcher, ThemeChanger 0.5. It works a lot better than Themer.

jlcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 01:24 PM

Thank you. Aquafix worked great.

benh57
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 03:48 PM

Just discovered these http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html bookmarklets work in Safari.
Nice little things to put in the toolbar that will zap distracting flash ads.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Ah, hope you're right - that approach would be great (silly to have every application implementing it themselves), Microsoft's way I absolutely cannot stand.
One benefit will be that Help Viewer will get alot faster

Hope hope

Cheers Edwin

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2003, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Don't worry. Safari isn't going to replace the Finder, and the Finder won't become our next web browser.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 12:38 PM

Well, I figured I woudn't start a new thread for this: I could not get Flash to work. Period. Not that I missed it all that much, but every time I went to a page that had Flash content a sheet rolled down to tell me Safari couldn't handle that MIME type. So I downloaded the Flash player. Didn't work. Tried uninstalling, then re-installing. I tried enabling the MIME-type in Quicktime instead. Didn't work. But the Director plugin from Macromedia did work. I looked in /Library/Internet Plugins and saw the Director plugin was named "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave". The Flash plugin was named "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC". So I renamed it "NP-PPC-Flash-Shockwave". Now it works. I thought that was just the dumbest thing ever. Has this always been the case? Did I just miss the memo?

Now Safari is much nicer w/o the annoying reminder that Flash won't work.

--Josh

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2003, 07:53 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed in this thread, but has anyone else noticed that only one copy of an animated gif seems to play in a single window? I've noticed this mostly with smilies? Is this a bug or a feature?

For a while, I thought it was the last copy which played, and all the previous ones didn't. However, I was just reading a thread where the first of two "rolleye" smilies was playing and the second was stopped.

Anyone else noticed this?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
Well, I figured I woudn't start a new thread for this: I could not get Flash to work. Period. Not that I missed it all that much, but every time I went to a page that had Flash content a sheet rolled down to tell me Safari couldn't handle that MIME type. So I downloaded the Flash player. Didn't work. Tried uninstalling, then re-installing. I tried enabling the MIME-type in Quicktime instead. Didn't work. But the Director plugin from Macromedia did work. I looked in /Library/Internet Plugins and saw the Director plugin was named "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave". The Flash plugin was named "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC". So I renamed it "NP-PPC-Flash-Shockwave". Now it works. I thought that was just the dumbest thing ever. Has this always been the case? Did I just miss the memo?

Now Safari is much nicer w/o the annoying reminder that Flash won't work.

--Josh
Well, Mine is named "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC" and I don't have the Director one, and Flash seems to work for me. Have any websites I can test? Ones that work for me include http://www.flash.com/ and http://www.silter.org/

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 08:05 PM

Flash works fine in safari but has some speed issues that have been fixed but not released.

See Dave Hyatt's web log.

Cheers Edwin

vsurfer
Senior User
Jan 12, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by IonCable:
For M$ this is ok, They won't have to spend time and resources on EI for the Mac anymore, a non-profit app. As for Keynote, it's not a problem either. Most Companies standardize on Office. Keynote is for the rogues and independants. It departments aren't going to support Keynote in most corps and M$ still gets to sell the Office package to the company. Does that make sense?? I'm tried.
Makes sense. Where I work, corp it standardizes with MS office (for Mac also), and as for web browser they use something different anyway. Think majority of Mac users who buy Office do so because they 'need' to interface somewhat transparently and relatively seamlessly with PC MS office users.

TC
Senior User
Jan 13, 2003, 07:11 AM

Just found out that Safari will display PSD files (Photoshop).

It also displays TIFFs but seems to have problems with it. Sometimes it displays them corrctly if you hit the maximise button after them loading. Other times it resizes the window to the size of the TIFF but just displays a finder style preview which is much smaller.

No great breakthrough since OmniWeb does this, but a nice thing when you are browsing through your hard disk.

It also accepted an Illustrator file but displayed it as blank. Since Quicktime doesn't handle Illustrator files I guess it would be expecting too much for Safari to.
Nothing to see, move along.

ambush
Banned
Jan 13, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by TC:
Just found out that Safari will display PSD files (Photoshop).

It also displays TIFFs but seems to have problems with it. Sometimes it displays them corrctly if you hit the maximise button after them loading. Other times it resizes the window to the size of the TIFF but just displays a finder style preview which is much smaller.

No great breakthrough since OmniWeb does this, but a nice thing when you are browsing through your hard disk.

It also accepted an Illustrator file but displayed it as blank. Since Quicktime doesn't handle Illustrator files I guess it would be expecting too much for Safari to.
I'm pretty sure Safari and OmniWeb use the same image class, which is linked to QuickTime, NSImage, or at least a subclass of it... So yeah they can read a lot of stuff, an preview.app does the saame thing, I believe.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 10:47 AM

I asked this elsewhere--has nayone noticed in Safari,

only one download at a time? (edit: never mind on this one)
download panel doesn't auto come to front on download start?
( Last edited by pliny; Jan 13, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )
i look in your general direction

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
I asked this elsewhere--has nayone noticed in Safari,

only one download at a time? (edit: never mind on this one)
download panel doesn't auto come to front on download start?
Who's Nayone????

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Bobby:
Who's Nayone????
Nayone as in anyone as in typo perhaps...
•

MasterBeta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2003, 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtraz:
Hmm thanks for that info. I'll look into what's causing that info.

Any since the preview sticks like you said, are the file sizes increased? Or is there a separate icon file?

Nope on both. The Finder does not modify the file to show a preview. It is just looking at the contents of the image file and displaying it as the icon.

I'm not sure about that... try cropping or rotating a file that already has a preview... It does not get updated. Previews get cached someplace I think.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2003, 12:16 PM

I'm sorry if that has been covered before; doesn't Safari support Drag&Drop of text?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 13, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
I'm sorry if that has been covered before; doesn't Safari support Drag&Drop of text?
Nope, doesn't work here either. Really stupid if you ask me.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Jan 13, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Unfortunately, no. I hope this get fixed soon.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Yep. At least has Services support.

I have sometimes problems with Self-Service (Open URL in Safari) though.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

jgrayperry
Jan 13, 2003, 02:27 PM

Anyone had any problems since the Safari update? I believe some Safari bug was the cause of a serious malfunction I had last Thursday (Hung everytime after login and had to reinstall 10.2.x). So I am wary of downloading Safari again. I'm scared to get QT 6.1 too - that was actually what I was updating when all hell broke loose.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
So if you saw leonardo putting the finishing touches on the mona lisa you'd say its pretty stupid? Look, the right cheek isn't finished yet. That's stupid. Why would leonardo not paint the right cheek. He must be stupid.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
So if you saw leonardo putting the finishing touches on the mona lisa you'd say its pretty stupid? Look, the right cheek isn't finished yet. That's stupid. Why would leonardo not paint the right cheek. He must be stupid.

Actually, he never did put on the 'finishing touches' as the mona lisa was never finshed. Notice the lack of eye brows for one...
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

nelliott
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I don't know if this has been discussed in this thread, but has anyone else noticed that only one copy of an animated gif seems to play in a single window? I've noticed this mostly with smilies? Is this a bug or a feature?

For a while, I thought it was the last copy which played, and all the previous ones didn't. However, I was just reading a thread where the first of two "rolleye" smilies was playing and the second was stopped.

Anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed that too - very odd.

Also, I thought people said that Safari didn't support keychain? When I went to one of my regular sites that requires a secure login, a dialog popped up asking me to allow access to the keychain and volia - it fetched my password.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 07:13 AM

Yeah it always asks if it can open my keychain but never fills in the password and / or login...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by nelliott:
Also, I thought people said that Safari didn't support keychain? When I went to one of my regular sites that requires a secure login, a dialog popped up asking me to allow access to the keychain and volia - it fetched my password.
Safari supports Keychain integration for HTTP authentication (when you are presented a sheet to authenticate), but not for forms-based authentication (when you authenticate within the web page in form fields). The lack of forms-based authentication integration with Keychain, a feature of Chimera, is what people are complaining about.
Vandelay Industries

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 07:45 PM

Go to http://www.animenfo.com. Does it download the index page instead of actually loading it?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
Go to http://www.animenfo.com. Does it download the index page instead of actually loading it?
That page is gzip encoded. Apparently, Safari does not support gzip encoding. OmniWeb and IE have the same problem.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules