Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Falwell dies at age 73

Falwell dies at age 73
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:52 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/jer....ap/index.html

• NEW: Evangelist dies at age 73
• Rev. Jerry Falwell found unconscious in office at Liberty University
• School official said Falwell was fine at breakfast
Adjust font size:

LYNCHBURG, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell has died, a Liberty University executive said Tuesday. He was 73.

Earlier, the executive said Falwell was hospitalized in "gravely serious" condition after being found unconscious in his office.

Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of Falwell's Liberty University, said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but "he has a history of heart challenges."

"I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast," Godwin said. "He went to his office, I went to mine and they found him unresponsive."

Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later founded the conservative Liberty University and serves as its president.

Falwell survived two serious health scares in early 2005. He was hospitalized for two weeks with what was described as a viral infection, then hospitalized again a few weeks later after going into respiratory arrest.
Not sure if this should go in the PL.

I don't have much to add. I normally don't post obits, but Falwell was a man that many had an opinion on, so it seemed appropriate.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 01:56 PM

Jerry Falwell is dead. Details are still unknown, but it seems likely to have been some kind of cardiac thing. Apparently he was found unresponsive in his office around noon.

I feel sad for the man's family, because they've lost a loved one, but I can't say I have much sympathy for the man himself. I feel some relief at the thought of one less false Christian giving my faith a bad name, and I suppose the world is a slightly better place for that, but there's no real reason to take any actual joy in that sort of thing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:58 PM

People die everyday. Sorry for his family, but I for one will not miss him. He did a lot of harm to this country.

Yes, this will go to the PL or get locked real soon.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 01:58 PM

Satan prevails!

And yes... this is going to get ugly... for a "man of God" he was filled with hate. Not sad to see him gone.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:59 PM

My only real memory of him was him on Donahue's short lived show on MSNBC. It was interesting to see them go back and forth.

I remember him 'trying' to save Phil by telling him all he had to do was accept Jesus. That and when asked about the environment commenting he had a Blazer and hoped to get a Hummer next.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:03 PM

He's about to be really disappointed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:05 PM

Good point!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:08 PM

I dread the spectacle that will be his funeral. And endless tributes. Ugh.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:09 PM

Should be interesting to see if there's a difference in coverage between Fox and CNN.

Well, not interesting, but maybe noteworthy.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 02:11 PM

I predict Bush will suggest he be given a state funeral.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 15, 2007, 02:13 PM

Good. Let him rip. In half.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 02:19 PM

Jeez you guys are pretty rough.

I feel for his family but I disagree that he's going to be disappointed rather he's now in paradise - as the Bible states.

I may not agree with his methods or some of his stances but he seemed to live his faith and that's part of it. I don't think anyone could call him hypercritical like some of the other tele-evanglelists.
Michael

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:20 PM

I for one am not sad that he is gone, though I can't remember the last time I heard anything about him.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I disagree that he's going to be disappointed rather he's now in paradise - as the Bible states.
Well that's a matter of a lot of perspectives... I'm not sure we wanna derail the thread with that.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:23 PM

It's just more of the same: "Man I HATE people who are so full of HATE"

His views were extreme in my opinion, but I don't think it's worthwhile or healthy to hope for or to relish his supposed eternal suffering.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Rumor
May 15, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Well that's a matter of a lot of perspectives... I'm not sure we wanna derail the thread with that.
What? You won't even derail your own thread?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2007, 02:26 PM

I may not agree with his methods or some of his stances but he seemed to live his faith and that's part of it. I don't think anyone could call him hypercritical like some of the other tele-evanglelists.
I thought he was ALWAYS critical of other people!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
It's just more of the same: "Man I HATE people who are so full of HATE"

His views were extreme in my opinion, but I don't think it's worthwhile or healthy to hope for or to relish his supposed eternal suffering.
His views may have been extreme (that's up for debate) but he was not full of hate. He seemed to engender the type of blind anger which to be honest I don't get.

If you HATE people who are full of HATE what does that make you - I'm not trying to flame you but highlight an incongruity.
Michael

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:31 PM

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

“If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being”

“The ACLU is to Christians what the American Nazi party is to Jews”

“The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability”

“Homosexuality is Satan's diabolical attack upon the family that will not only have a corrupting influence upon our next generation, but it will also bring down the wrath of God upon America.”

“God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve”

“(re: 9/11 attacks) "...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."”

“[homosexuals are] brute beasts...part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven.”

“I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'”

"I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem."

[About Tinky Winky] “He is purple – the gay-pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle—the gay-pride symbol.”

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What? You won't even derail your own thread?
Yes, I believe I am what is known as a hypocrite.

Actually, if you want to derail it with cat pictures be my guest. I just won't take a slightly off-topic derail. Funnies or nothings.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:32 PM

His views may have been extreme (that's up for debate) but he was not full of hate. He seemed to engender the type of blind anger which to be honest I don't get.

If you HATE people who are full of HATE what does that make you - I'm not trying to flame you but highlight an incongruity.
I was agreeing with you and elaborating. At times in threads about controversial figures we of often see expression of hatred toward people for being so full of hate. It's all a bit silly.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 02:35 PM

I feel for his family but I disagree that he's going to be disappointed rather he's now in paradise - as the Bible states.

Here's a little taste of the vitriol he liked to spew on television. That doesn't seem to coincide with my understanding of the Christian faith.

Rumor
May 15, 2007, 02:35 PM

Cat pictures are so April 2007.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

“The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability”
Ignoring all the hate filled comments, I find this beyond ludicrous. Yes, we're purposefully trying to hamstring our ownselves.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

Cat pictures are timeless, like the wind.

Rumor
May 15, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Cat pictures are timeless, like passing wind.
I thought people grow out of fart jokes?

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
...Falwell hate speech...
Thanks for listing these. This may help slow the fans that will be jumping on soon. I hope they at least skim that list to refresh their memories.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:43 PM

I thought people grow out of fart jokes?
LOL YOU SAID FART! LOL!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:48 PM

He was a man who's opinions skated the thin ice that floats on top of a lake of hate and intolerance. He veiled his hate with Christianity. He was not a man of Jesus. Jesus did not preach hate and intolerance.

Falwell was a joke. He basically became a parody of himself. People would hear the sickening things he'd have to say and merely laugh, because they all knew he was so far out there that he was almost meaningless.

He's dead, and I for one am not sad. I feel that one less hate monger on this earth is a good thing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2007, 02:48 PM

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 03:27 PM

I was agreeing with you and elaborating. At times in threads about controversial figures we of often see expression of hatred toward people for being so full of hate. It's all a bit silly.
Ahh gotcha, I'm a little slow at times
Michael

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 03:27 PM

well he thought jesus would be back before he died...oops

bloated hate filled hick was wrong again
( Last edited by ironknee; May 15, 2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: thought)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
He's about to be really disappointed.

Question is which one of his quotes should they put on his tombstone?

* “AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

* "It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening."

* "If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."

* After the September 11 attacks Falwell said, “I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen."

* “Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions”

* “[Homosexuals are] brute beasts...part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven.”

Voices of American Sexuality: Rev. Jerry Falwell's Greatest Hits
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 15, 2007 at 03:56 PM. )

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 03:58 PM

Hello Saint Pete, I'm glad to finally be here.

Yes?

I can't wait to see which of the many rooms is mine.

Really?

ok, somebody pick it up from here...

design219
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

which one of his quotes should they put on his tombstone?

"a failure as a human being"

my vote

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
my vote

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
my vote
Are we sure he was human?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 04:44 PM

I really can't say I'm sad about him being gone, but my thoughts and condolences to his family.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
I feel sad for the man's family, because they've lost a loved one, but I can't say I have much sympathy for the man himself. I feel some relief at the thought of one less false Christian giving my faith a bad name, and I suppose the world is a slightly better place for that, but there's no real reason to take any actual joy in that sort of thing.
Agreed.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post
Agreed.
Agreed, agreed. Well put.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post
I really can't say I'm sad about him being gone, but my thoughts and condolences to his family.
That's pretty generous as I am sure he has caused plenty of sadness and disruptions to many families with his lessons of hate and none of his family had any condolences for anyone.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 05:33 PM

w00t!

That is all I have to say about it.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 05:34 PM

At least he inspired a half-way decent movie.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 05:46 PM

Political? Really?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 05:48 PM

He was just another blowhard who wasn't Christian and who wasn't right, and he built an empire based on hatred and hypocrisy.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Rumor
May 15, 2007, 05:51 PM

Kind of like Westboro?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 06:06 PM

Can one appreciate the irony though?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
He was just another blowhard who wasn't Christian and who wasn't right, and he built an empire based on hatred and hypocrisy.
How is that different that pretty much any religious group? He just didn't candy coat it as much.

Atomic Rooster
May 15, 2007, 06:10 PM

May he burn in Hell!!!

Wait...there is no Hell dammit!

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 06:13 PM

I don't usually come to the pol lounge, but I wanted to say:

Ding Dong, the witch is dead!!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules