Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Products/Tips to keep your Powerbook in excellent condition...

Products/Tips to keep your Powerbook in excellent condition...
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 01:34 PM

i'm just wondering what some of you use to keep your powerbook looking in tip-top shape.

i was browsing the RadTech website and came across the Wildeepz and the Notebook ScreensavRz. Anyone have any experience with these? ae they really good for what they are meant to do?

anyone have cleaning tips? like solution? how often? etc...

any help is appreciated!
blah

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 01:50 PM

I don't really use any products... I wash my hands before use when I can and if I think about it before I go to bed I just wipe the entire thing (keyboard, screen, etc) down gently with a sunglass cleaning cloth. Looks brand new.
12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

babyuknowit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 02:24 PM

You can avoid alot of wear and tear by preventative maint.
Just some examples:

-Never touch the LCD screen
-Wash hands before use
-Use the styrofoam cutout you got with your Powerbook to cover keyboard when Powerbook is closed.
-Buy a nice laptop bag

These are the things I do, granted I have only had my PB for about 48 hours. If anyone has any other suggestions by all means please reply.

LORL
Aug 20, 2004, 11:38 PM

Just use your computer and don't drop heavy objects on it...what is the point of owning a computer if you are afraid to touch it?

babyuknowit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by LORL:
Just use your computer and don't drop heavy objects on it...what is the point of owning a computer if you are afraid to touch it?
Some people may like to keep their expensive purchases in pristine condition. I for one am one of those people.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 12:25 AM

I covered the upper lid, palmrest, and trackpad button surfaces of my PB Al with clear Avery laminating film. It allows you to see the beauty of the machine, but protects against scratches. It also easily peals off when desired. Any remaining adhesive comes off with rubbing alcohol.

Not a single scratch from my watchband nor wear on the trackpad button after nearly a year of use!

babyuknowit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Guy Kuo:
I covered the upper lid, palmrest, and trackpad button surfaces of my PB Al with clear Avery laminating film. It allows you to see the beauty of the machine, but protects against scratches. It also easily peals off when desired. Any remaining adhesive comes off with rubbing alcohol.

Not a single scratch from my watchband nor wear on the trackpad button after nearly a year of use!
That strikes me as a little overkill, but not a bad suggestion.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 02:27 AM

I personally use both the wildeepz and the screensavRZ and they work great. The wildeepz make the powerbook feel mich more solid when closed because they eliminate most of the play between the screen and the chasis. The screensavRz is just nice to use to whipe down the machine. It's essentially just a large sunglass cleaning cloth that can be wetted and washed in your washing machine should the need arise. I know they aren't cheep for what they are... but after shelling out over 2k on this lappy I wasn't going to be cheep on things like this. Pluss, the screensavRz just looks pimp
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
I personally use both the wildeepz and the screensavRZ and they work great. The wildeepz make the powerbook feel mich more solid when closed because they eliminate most of the play between the screen and the chasis. The screensavRz is just nice to use to whipe down the machine. It's essentially just a large sunglass cleaning cloth that can be wetted and washed in your washing machine should the need arise. I know they aren't cheep for what they are... but after shelling out over 2k on this lappy I wasn't going to be cheep on things like this. Pluss, the screensavRz just looks pimp
You can find that stuff here http://www.radtech.us/

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 03:57 AM

Come on guys... open up that manual that came with your powerbook and you will see that it clearly says(pg 68)...

Cleaning Your PowerBook Follow these general rules when cleaning the outside of your computer and its components:
� Shut down your PowerBook and remove the battery.
� Use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer�s exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer.
� Don�t use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.

Its that easy... combined with this easy pratice find a very nice case to lug it arround I suggest sf bags the owner is real cool and he includes a handwritten letter for ever order. Also see the above post regarding screensavRZ and wildpeepz.

Cheers

daxdagr8t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Guy Kuo:

I used the same process in creating a skin for my ipod, come to think of it, i might try doing it for my pb.For the moment, I use iclear to wipe the screen then a damp cloth for the case.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 09:37 PM

i just bought some pda screen protectors to apply onto the palmrests. i've seen pics of pitting caused by oxidation and it's nasty. i have a PB Touch keyboard protector which keeps off dust and grime, not to mention the occasional spill. for basic cleaning i use a cloth dampened with water, sometimes i'll add soap if really dirty. do this every few months or as needed. using a Podium CoolPad i'd guess would probably help prevent the dainty feet from wearing out or falling off; i use it when i place the powerbook on my lap or whenever i move it's location.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules