Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Mac Mini Lives

The Mac Mini Lives
ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 03:12 PM

Well everyone said it was dead however in the Q & A of todays (Aug. 7th) event this question came up:

"Didn't mention Mac mini today, how is it doing?"

Tim: "We're refreshing the Mac mini today."

So it looks like it lives to see another day, my question since Appleinsider posted a gravestone with a the RIP MacMini, does that make it a zombie Mac?

All joking aside I am glad that they are keeping it around?

Edit: Sorry I did not see the first MacMini Thread you can lock this one if you wish.
( Last edited by ESavage; Aug 7, 2007 at 03:18 PM. )
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 03:16 PM

I'm glad they are.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 05:00 PM

Needs to be $499 again. The new upgrade was very underwhelming.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 05:19 PM

Didn't the Core 2 processors come out like 8 months ago? Shouldn't the mini at least be running faster than 2GHz?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 05:27 PM

It's the mini. It's like a headless eMac.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 05:33 PM

Mini has always been one speed grade slower than the MacBooks. No reason to change that now. At any rate, the difference between a 2.16GHZ C2D and a 2GHZ C2D is at most 10%. Not exactly a huge loss.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 05:47 PM

I am glad they decided to keep it. It's my favorite current Mac besides the black MacBook.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 06:18 PM

To bad the ram wasn't upgraded to handle 4gb.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 07:35 PM

4 Gb? In a mini? It's for average users who will never need that much! Most mini buyers would never have a need for more than 2 Gb. Although I am sure you could put 4 Gb in if you really want...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 07:41 PM

It wouldn't recognize more than 3GB though, would it?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 08:18 PM

Napa chipset only lets you see 3.2GB. If it's similar to the MacBook (appears to use essentially the same components), Apple firmware further caps RAM at 3GB.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 08:38 AM

The mini still uses Napa so there's no point in installing more than 3 GB.

Personally I'm fine with the mini update. It's very modest, but that's what the mini's supposed to be. I would like to see 802.11n in there (heck Gigabit's in there too after all!), but most of all I'd like to see it return to its original $499 price tag. Anyway, I'm glad it's sticking around for another while.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 09:48 AM

I ordered mine as soon as the store came back up. I was very pleased at the changes for the most part. The few disappointments came with the lack of 802.11N capability and no video card upgrade. Other than that, this is the machine I wanted for use as a Media and Backup server for our other machines in the house.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 11:33 AM

I think the Mini is responsible for more converts than any other Mac.

Once a PC user realizes that the Mini can run Windows (if necessary) then the only hesitation is the cost, which is still considerable from an average PC user's POV.

And the form factor and lack of noise is a real draw. Indeed, that is the first thing they comment on. People love this little hockey puck of a computer.

-S

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 11:36 AM

I was looking at replacing my mini when the new ones came out.. But with just the C2D Processor update.. I can just go get an off the shelf C2D for 150 bucks and make mine just like the new mini. Mine is pretty much the same specs as the new C2D mini aside from the C2D processor. Off to newegg to get a new processor

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 11:46 AM

Well, it's really all you could expect here with the new iMac's.

At least now for $799 you get what would have cost $1099 + the cost and lost of warranty by upgrading the processor.

You get a larger HDD, more RAM and faster processor with double the L2 cache for the same price.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
I was looking at replacing my mini when the new ones came out.. But with just the C2D Processor update.. I can just go get an off the shelf C2D for 150 bucks and make mine just like the new mini. Mine is pretty much the same specs as the new C2D mini aside from the C2D processor. Off to newegg to get a new processor
That's a better option for those who already have the CD version or even the old Core Solo.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
You said in a lounge post that your mini already had a C2D processor.

twalker294
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:58 PM

The previous minis had Core Duos, not Core 2 Duos. Now for $799 you can get a 2.0 Ghz C2D, 1 gig RAM, and a 120 gig HD which is a pretty stout configuration for that kind of money. My 20" iMac that I bought just a few months ago for $1500 is a 2.16Ghz C2D, 1 gig (upgraded to 2 gig,) and a 250 gig HD. Yes the graphics card in the iMac is much better and of course you get the 20" screen, but $799 for the new mini is a great deal if you ask me.
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net
20" iMac C2D
G4 mini 1.42Ghz

CadetStimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 02:17 PM

As long as gaming isn't something you plan to do much of (other than arcade type games, such as Bejeweled, Luxor, etc.) the Mini is a good choice. I still wonder why they didn't at least bump the GPU up to the lower end ATI chip. Then again, that's a VERY tiny enclosure, and heat may be an issue there. I'm sure the engineers have reasons for doing things...

I'm glad to see they kept it, though, as I agree - it's probably won more new Mac users than any of the other models. My wife and I have two at home, for our general 'work horse' machines.
Scott :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules