Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help! new powerbook owner...

help! new powerbook owner...
ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 04:03 PM

hey guys....I just recieved my new rev b powerbook today. I also have an emac with osx 10.2.6. I was wondering what the easiest way would be to transfer my iTunes songs and pics in iPhoto to my new powerbook from my emac? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thanx!

Wesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 04:21 PM

one way to do it is hook your two macs up via a crossover ethernet cable, on the powerbook click on go to server and then local, login to your emac and it will show up as a HD on your PB. then just transfer over "My Music" and My Photos to you pb and put them in the same place as they were on the emac, itunes and iphoto will find the files and thats it. like i said this is one way to do it, there are others....
Proud owner of a 12" 700 Mhz IBook
Proud owner of a 15" 500 Mhz TiBook
Proud owner of a 12" 1-SD Ghz AlBook

DanielPritchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by ryanhugh:
hey guys....I just recieved my new rev b powerbook today. I also have an emac with osx 10.2.6. I was wondering what the easiest way would be to transfer my iTunes songs and pics in iPhoto to my new powerbook from my emac? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thanx!
In order to do this using my instructions you will need: a FireWire Cable.
Cost: $5-10

With the eMac on, use a FireWire cable to plug the PowerBook into your eMac. Then turn your PowerBook off and boot it again holding "t" on the keyboard to put it in Target Disk Mode. Then its hard drive should show up on your eMac desktop. Here are detailed instructions on target disk mode.

Then copy things over:
Copy the entire "iTunes" folder in ~/Music/ into /Users/Yourname/Music/ on the PowerBook.

Do the same for iPhoto Library: Copy it from ~/Pictures/ to the /Users/Yourname/Pictures/ folder on your PowerBook.

When you've finished, drag your PowerBook's hard drive to the Trash.

The FireWire way will be fastest, but If you'd really rather do this over your network, let me know, and I'll go over that too.

ryanhugh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 05:00 PM

thanx guys I do appreciate it! got a couple more questions...is a crossover ethernet cable different then a regular ethernet cable? also does the network method require any addtional cables or anything? thanx again for the replies...

DanielPritchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 05:09 PM

A crossover cable is different than a regular ethernet cable. The pairs are reversed. You have to buy a special cable.

I would not recommend that method, however, since it will be a lot slower (FireWire is 400Mbps, ethernet 100Mbps. Both have overhead, so you won't get the max on either, but FireWire will still be far faster.)

I would recommend using a network if you plan on moving data and/or sharing an Internet connection between these machines in the future, but for the initial copying I would recommend the FireWire method.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 05:10 PM

To use the network, just connect the Macs with an ethernet cable, and enable Personal File Sharing in the Sharing pane of the System Preferences. Then use Connect to Server in the Finder.

You won't need a crossover cable, since the Macs will be autosensing that they are talking directly to each other and not via a router. (On older computers you would need a crossover cable.)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by alien:

You won't need a crossover cable, since the Macs will be autosensing that they are talking directly to each other and not via a router. (On older computers you would need a crossover cable.)
What he said. Any cable will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules