Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! Corrupted icons on all JPEGs and others

Help! Corrupted icons on all JPEGs and others
DanielPritchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 02:40 AM

Help! Suddenly all JPEGs have the same wrong icon--a thumbnail of one image on my hard drive.

Another place I've seen an (assumed related) icon error is in the "Connect to Server" dialog in the Finder, the drop-down menu at right has as its icon the "Windows Media Player" document icon.

Is there a way to rebuild the icon cache or something like this? That's what you do on Windows when this happens. Does rebuilding the Desktop do anything anymore?

I need to fix this quick, especially since I don't like the picture it's randomly chosen to use as a thumbnail.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2003, 02:55 AM

Does rebooting fix it?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

DanielPritchard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Does rebooting fix it?

You know, maybe I should try that.

I'm so used to Mac OS now, that "classic windows solution for everything" never occurred to me! Lol.

I'm off to try it. I'll report back if it did fix it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 03:35 AM

what about dock icons? the big icons in the dock are all ok but when clicking on an open app to get the menu the top option (for most apps) has the same ugly icon of something I don't even know how to describe, but I think its the unix executable icon. to see what I'm saying open safari with a few windows open then right-click or hold click on the safari icon in your dock and look at the top options in the menu.

I want them gone I want normal icons there.

DanielPritchard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 04:53 PM

I ran a program that deletes a couple of cache files and then restarted and my problem seems to be gone. Thanks for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules