Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should I do a clean install

Should I do a clean install
android8
Apr 5, 2005, 11:41 AM

Hi everybody

Not sure if this is the right forum...sorry if it isn't!

I've got an old iMac DV SE (500 mHz G3, 640mb ram, 80 gb hd) on which I installed MacOS 10.1.5 some three years ago. Since then I've updated all the way up 'til MacOS 10.3.8 with no clean installs and no wiping the hd.
In those three years I've experienced only minor glitches and only 5 system freezes (It's one heck of a stable OS!), and the OS still runs pretty smooth. I try to keep my OS healthy by running the cron scripts, repairing the priviledges once in a while, and I've also layed down a new directory using DiskWarrior a couple of times.
My philosophy is "If it ain't broken, don't fix it", so I'm a bit hesitant about messing around with my OS. I'm still tempted though by wiping the hd and install a fresh version of Panther on my mac to see if I can enhance the performance of my aging mac (it currently scores 42.01 in the Xbench test...Camino running).
What's your opinion? Can I expect to see a minor performance boost with a new clean OS? My mac currently serves my needs (performance wise), but a small performance boost would be nice.
A small note: My iBook clamshell (10.3.8...clean install with 10.3, 366 mHz, 6 gb hd, 320 mb ram) seems to performs nearly as well as my iMac...that's the main reason I'm considering wiping the hd on my iMac and making a clean install.

Looking forward to your advise :-)

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 12:20 PM

If it's working, and is stable with no troubles for you, I'd just leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Besides, Tiger will be out pretty soon, and people are saying it's noticeably faster than Panther, so your best bet is probably to wait until Tiger is released. At that point, you can decide whether you want to do an erase-and-install or not (I myself prefer not to, as it's generally a pain to restore everything).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

android8  (op)
Apr 5, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
If it's working, and is stable with no troubles for you, I'd just leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Besides, Tiger will be out pretty soon, and people are saying it's noticeably faster than Panther, so your best bet is probably to wait until Tiger is released. At that point, you can decide whether you want to do an erase-and-install or not (I myself prefer not to, as it's generally a pain to restore everything).
Sounds like a good idea Charles. I think I'll wait and see until Tiger comes out. Thx for your input

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 01:25 PM

just curious: when you want from like...10.1 to 10.2, or 10.2 to 10.3, did you archive and install, or just do an upgrade? Archive and install is nearly as clean as a fresh installation, and if that's what you've done I'd absolutely not worry about it.
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

android8  (op)
Apr 5, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by omar96:
just curious: when you want from like...10.1 to 10.2, or 10.2 to 10.3, did you archive and install, or just do an upgrade? Archive and install is nearly as clean as a fresh installation, and if that's what you've done I'd absolutely not worry about it.
I just did an upgrade actually...

OreoCookie
Apr 5, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by android8:
I just did an upgrade actually...
You could do it, but why?
MacOS X saves most of your settings and all that, so it minimizes your effort to setup your system.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules