Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Its funny that with all the people whining..

Its funny that with all the people whining..
meelk
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 10:22 PM

none of them knew steve was running a 3.6ghz P4 until he said so.
get a grip.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 10:53 PM

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 10:58 PM

What's funny is that we've been complaining that we Mac users are still stuck below the 3GHz mark while Intel is almost at 4GHz. Now that we have the chance to FINALLY get above the 3GHz Mark people are complainin. Boy we Mac users are a fickle bunch.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 10:58 PM

How would you tell, would the screen have stink lines coming off it or something?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 11:01 PM

Well...I just got done watching the keynote and found it strangely uplifting. My only problem is whether or not I want an interim Mac (Mac mini comes to mind) or do I want to keep using my TiBook which I'm still fairly happy with.

The "Pentium 4 3.6Ghz" in the About This Mac dialog was pretty funny, though...

Voch

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 11:08 PM

I thought it was funny when Steve was demoing the Newsweek widget early in the keynote and the first article that popped up was 'Apple to use intel cpus' I've never seen the man scroll a window so fast.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
I thought it was funny when Steve was demoing the Newsweek widget early in the keynote and the first article that popped up was 'Apple to use intel cpus' I've never seen the man scroll a window so fast.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 11:09 PM

I noticed that too.

an0therdumbsn
Jun 6, 2005, 11:10 PM

i think its funy how much people tout the g5 as the being best and brightest and then the very second that jobs tells you the opposite everybody changes their whole perspective.
I mean not that i can blame you after seeing that the p4 could run his slidshow presentation, and that convincing graph manipulted into making the p4 look better.
(very similar to these http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/ ) which conveniently show the results apple wants them to here.

osxisfun
Jun 6, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by an0therdumbsn
i think its funy how much people tout the g5 as the being best and brightest and then the very second that jobs tells you the opposite everybody changes their whole perspective.
I mean not that i can blame you after seeing that the p4 could run his slidshow presentation, and that convincing graph manipulted into making the p4 look better.
(very similar to these http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/ ) which conveniently show the results apple wants them to here.

The G5s are great for today. (as long as you do not want a laptop version)

Today's announcements where about laptops and tommrorow...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 11:16 PM

Actually I didn't even know he was Running OS X on Intel until he went into the About this Mac. Okay weill I did because I read the Anandtech Article earlier and saw it. But if I hadn't I would have guessed he ran it on a G5 and was going to show a pictured of the Mac with an Intel chip like he usual does with some of his Demos.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 11:33 PM

Right now is the perfect time for Apple to switch.

Freescale and IBM aren't offing Apple much in the way of processor upgrades. The fact the mac market is growing, despite the lackluster upgrades of the past 2 years is quite remarkable. It's likely Apple knows there is nothing remarkable coming from Freescale or IBM in the next few years. Eventually the performance difference will cause a drop off in sales. It's better for Apple to do this while it's bundle of cash in the bank and the Mac and iPod divisions are both strong.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 11:59 PM

Really, we need to ask ourselves, do we use a Mac because of its processor? Or because of its OS? I think once people realize that, they get over it.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
The G5s are great for today. (as long as you do not want a laptop version)

Today's announcements where about laptops and tommrorow...
exactly:

so, intel chip based mac's shipping by early june next year. -- which probably means annoucements 6 months from now in january 2006 (like "3.0 ghz+ powerbooks in the first half of the year"). so as the product line progressess we'll come to 12/06 and much microsoft fanfare about their (very stripped down) new OS, Longhorn (otherwise known to XP users as "service pack 3"

around the same time apple will have a "leapord" ready to pounce and will justifiably be able to say "snoooooooooze, those functions in an OS were soooooooooooooo two operating systems ago" as they zip past riding intel.

sounds logical to me.

and y'all are arguing about what, if you watch the keynote, basically boils down to clicking two boxes so it compiles for both PPC and Intel

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 01:14 AM

sorry, dont say "me" because I dont have or want a mac other than for osx, and Ill get my wish soon enough on x86, and not ppc. Everyone crowing about how great ppc is are simply talking into the wind. They are nothing special.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by icibaqu
and y'all are arguing about what, if you watch the keynote, basically boils down to clicking two boxes so it compiles for both PPC and Intel
If you watch the keynote AGAIN, take a look at the little bit about MetroWorks code, and having to completely switch to XCode before the "tweaking" phase can even begin.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 06:41 AM

The mac game publishers don't seem to happy with the news.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 07:12 AM

Link?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 7, 2005, 08:52 AM

They make games for Macs?
Maybe if they had actually created something worth playing, this would be a different story.
Good riddance to rubbish.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 09:34 AM

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
What's funny is that we've been complaining that we Mac users are still stuck below the 3GHz mark while Intel is almost at 4GHz. Now that we have the chance to FINALLY get above the 3GHz Mark people are complainin. Boy we Mac users are a fickle bunch.
Yes, people were disappointed over Jobs' failure to deliver 3GHz. That did not mean the G5 and the PPC in general were worthy of being abandoned. Isn't it true that many of you are simply dazzled by the MHz?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 10:22 AM

Now they have a 3.6ghz Mac

SEE JOBS DELIVERED!!1

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yes, people were disappointed over Jobs' failure to deliver 3GHz. That did not mean the G5 and the PPC in general were worth of being abandoned. Isn't it true that many of you are simply dazzled by the MHz?
While that is true, the "average" consumer DOES look at MHz. To them a 3.6GHz IS faster than a 2.7GHz no matter what we think.

I also think it's more that Steve was disappointed that after 2 years he/Apple wasn't able to deliver a 3GHz G5 to customers. I think to him it made him feel like he is letting the customers down because he couldn't deliver.

While we all know that a 2.7 is faster EVERYONE stil wants faster. If it isn't faster then people feel let down in someway.

I'm of the thinking if it helps to sell more Macs I'm all for it. Now the "average" comsumer can't say a Mac is slower than a PC and since they want the fastest thing they are going to buy a PC because 3.6GHz is faster than 2.7GHz in their minds.

Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 10:32 AM

All I know is my $800 PC outrenders my $2500 Mac......I'm all for the switch

rhombus
Jun 7, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Link?
http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=355

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 11:04 AM

Looks like most have a wait and see attitude about it. Also more than a few of them said it might be a good thing. Looks like we will all find out in the Next 2 years. Sit Back ready your credit cards and prepare for the ride. It's going to be an interesting 2 years to say the least.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yes, people were disappointed over Jobs' failure to deliver 3GHz. That did not mean the G5 and the PPC in general were worthy of being abandoned. Isn't it true that many of you are simply dazzled by the MHz?
Right on.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 12:19 PM

I do think the G5 is the best and the brightest. Too bad I can't get one fast enough - so I'll take a Pentium instead.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
That's because Apple has spent a decade slamming Intel and now many Mac users are having to reconcile an apparent conflict in belief.

The veil has been lifted.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 12:45 PM

There is a new generation of Mac users that have not slammed Intel. Rather they were using Intel only recently and switched to OS X because of the OS, not Intel... so there is no real bad blood there, only with the old-time Mac users, which are outnumbered by us (recently Windows users)... 2 years and counting.

I've got nothing against Intel. (Except their dumb commercials)...

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 12:48 PM

But the real question is...
Will Apple offer a Windoze Box version of OSX to bite into the PC market?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 12:57 PM

I don't get it, Apple makes it money from selling expensive machines. Do they really think that by making MacOS for x86 is going to get anyone on the PC side to switch operating systems? Maybe, but they probably would have just bought a Mac anyways if they were fed up with Windows.

Either way I don't care. The way I see it M$ should just buy Apple, intergrate the MacOS and Windows together and end the legacy of the two competing systems. Its would really be sweet to see them try to put all the "functionality" of Windows into OSX's super-polished frame.

Pretty soon even us smug Mac users will join the rest of the computer using world and all its probelms. Welcome to the beginning of the death of choice.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
All I know is my $800 PC outrenders my $2500 Mac......I'm all for the switch

Are you talking GAME performance? Go away.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 01:05 PM

Roomates 2.8 p4 DVD compression (from 7.4gb to 4.7gb) - 21 minutes
My G4 733 - 70 minutes

Number of times roomates computer has crashed/froze/acted foolish - About everytime I use it
Number of times my G4 has crashed since I bought it 3 years ago - 3

Speed ain't everything

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
That's because Apple has spent a decade slamming Intel and now many Mac users are having to reconcile an apparent conflict in belief.

The veil has been lifted.
That is what they get for being zealots.

Forum Links
Forum Rules