Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Spontaneously re-arranged control strip

Spontaneously re-arranged control strip
Thumannator
Oct 16, 2000, 09:08 PM

Twice now this has happened to me. I turn on my computer and the modules in my control strip were arranged differently from how they normally appear. Does anyone know what might cause this? The first time it happened was a few months ago, but I simply put the modules back in my preferred order and dismissed it as simply odd. Now, it has happened again. This time, I'd like to try and determine the problem.

I suspect it might be from SoundJam MP. However, because I really didn't pay attention the first time, I cannot be certain. It was a few months ago (I think) that I first installed SoundJam MP Free for a trial. I didn't like it much and got rid of it. I just bought a Rio 600 MP3 player which requires use of SoundJam to download files to the player. It comes "free" with the player, and I had no choice but to use it, so I installed it a week ago. Then tonight, I turn on my computer and the control strip modules are out of order!

Maybe it is SoundJam, maybe it isn't. If anybody has had this problem before and can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 17, 2000, 12:37 AM

I have had it happen too. Trash the "Control Strip Preferences" file in the Preferences folder. You will have to rearrange the strip again after reboot, but it should stay in your arrangement afterwards.

I think it is just a corrupt prefs file. It has not happened to me in a long time, since I trashed the prefs file.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 10-17-2000).]

a guy
Oct 17, 2000, 01:19 PM

i had that happen to me also. they were rearranged in aplhabetical order and would not hold changes. i trashed the control strip prefs file and all is cool now

Luis D Antezana
Oct 17, 2000, 02:22 PM

Trashing the prefs doesn't always work. I noticed that my CS items were rearranged so I trashed my prefs, restarted, rearranged, restarted again and they were not how I had left them. In my case the culprit is definitely the ATI desktop TV modules. They do not stay where they are told and messing with their prefs has no effect, nor does re-installing. If I remember clearly, and I'm not sure I do, they can make the other CS items move, too.

Frederico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2000, 09:49 PM

I'm surprised no one has taken the obvious ordering of alphabetical nature (and like the whole of the MacOS file system, also numerical) and twisted it into your permanent advantage.

Tired of rearranging your Control Strip Modules, especially when you are forced to trash a corrupted CS prefs file? Then control it once and forever by adding a number in front of the CSM name; i.e., by numerically ordering them, they will also (and always) appear in that order in the Control Strip.

Here's how mine are ordered (note that if you have more than ten modules, you'll want to add a leading zero):

01. Calendar Menu Strip
02. CDStrip
03. SoundSource Strip
04. Sound Volume
05. SoundJam� Strip
06. QuickTime Strip
07. Monitor BitDepth
08. Monitor Resolution
09. Keychain Strip
10. Sleeper Strip
11. AppleTalk Switch
12. File Sharing Strip
13. Remote Access Control Strip
14. Open Files Count
15. Default Folder Strip
16. TV Mirroring
17. Video Mirroring
18. Web Sharing CS
19. Iomega CSM
20. Virex Control Strip Module
21. SpeakableItems Strip
Battery Monitor
Energy Settings
G3Strip(E)
Leelou Control Strip
Location Manager Controls
Media Bay
Printer Selector

The ones that I don't care about (or the ones that won't appear anyway due to my hardware or installed software) are left to the alphabetical ordering they'll get in the hidden area of my extended control strip.

Frederico

Forum Links
Forum Rules