Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who are those "baninated" posters?

Who are those "baninated" posters? (Page 2)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
This is it right here people. Content. We are in the business of producing content for this forum. It's not a community, its a business!
There's no reason a community should be full of meaningless fluff. I like the communities I'm part of to actually have some substance. I don't mean there's anything wrong with enjoying things, but I think the idea of "Either we're a business that produces content or we're a community" is a completely false dichotomy.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 09:02 PM

I dont see how you get banned from an internet forum - unless your some hormonal teenage boy with acne who has never kissed a girl.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
This is it right here people. Content. We are in the business of producing content for this forum. It's not a community, its a business!
Way to twist things around. The "content" is what we talk about. It's not something that's sold (in spite of what some people think), and it's not just space to fill between ads. The purpose behind these forums is for us all to discuss whatever-within some pretty well defined limits. The "business" part is generating enough revenue to pay for the servers and such, and the ads you see are part of that. But the reason is our conversations.

In order to allow a relatively free flow of such discussions, we have to allow a lot of latitude. Including people implying that the staff here are interested in commercial aspects of the business. For everyone's information, every mod and as far as I know all the admins are unpaid volunteer help here. Yep, I don't get anything for what I do here but the satisfaction of flushing spammers down the Internet commode. But back to the point, there are a ton of discussion forums around where every post is reviewed and approved (or not) by someone on that forum's staff before anyone else ever sees it. Not here-if you post something, it's right there for everyone to see. This, by the way, is a really good reason for everyone to a) proofread their posts, b) consider what they type very carefully beforehand, and c) avoid the use of any agent that alters or diminishes their judgment before even thinking about posting. It's obvious that far too few people follow any of these rules.

On the subject of our "problem" member, let's set a few things straight. First, we have more than one member who can occasionally fly off the handle. Second, for the most part, our members actually remember that all the other members are real people with lives and problems and such, not some sort of programmed amusement, so they sometimes get concerned about members who go along fine for a while and then suddenly seem to be very different people. Finally, there is not a single member here-me included-who has not posted something inappropriate, incorrect, heated, or otherwise unflattering to their reputation. First stone...glass houses... etc. You get the picture.
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 11, 2007 at 09:18 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That's the perfect solution: spend some money, get your OWN forums, where you can be completely free to act any damn way you please because you get to make your own rules.

What I don't get is why you constantly come back here. What's it to you?

And why, since you choose to constantly visit somebody else's party, you always end up acting the gatecrasher and getting thrown out.
He could just start a new name, and post like a regular person and no one would know any difference.

Instead he always has to flaunt his identity, and cause never-ending drama, because he thrives on the attention.

He is the closest thing to a celebrity this board has and he craves the attention because something must be lacking in his real life.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
He is the closest thing to a celebrity this board has...
Theres a thread here about him being on Autoblog, and there were comments where people had written stuff like 'Rob? Subaru? Hey its Cash from MacNN!'

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 12, 2007, 09:57 AM

I knew Rob before NN, back in the Neon.org forums.

Where he is also perm banned for life from...

But it's all their fault. Just ask Rob.

Super Mario
Aug 12, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This place is not a public forum. There are costs involved to running this place: vBulletin license, server, bandwidth, etc. This is a private establishment.
As much as you would like to believe that, this forum wouldn't earn a cent if we the public weren't posting on it. It is safe to say all the the threads I started since I joined have earned mucho Adsense dollars for the site's owner. You should know that as you like to convince everyone you are the know-it-all of web business and just about every subject under the sun.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 12, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That's the perfect solution: spend some money, get your OWN forums, where you can be completely free to act any damn way you please because you get to make your own rules.
Yes this is an option. And it's a valid one. Though we've had people do that, and STILL come here trying to dictate or control or go against the rules on purpose. So that doesn't ALWAYS work. But it would be a good start. He could be moderator and say what goes. I am SURE people would go to it just out of pure morbid curiosity.
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
He could just start a new name, and post like a regular person and no one would know any difference.
Also a good idea. One I've requested him to do many times. To which he claims he has. But someone always MAKES him do something and screws it up. I wish I had the power to MAKE someone do something. My lawn needs mowed.

But if he TRUELY actually did what you requested you are right. Regardless if we knew who he was or not, if he wasn't acting the ass, no one would care if he was here. We'd probably welcome him with open arms. As he DOES have a wealth of knowledge about somethings.
Instead he always has to flaunt his identity, and cause never-ending drama, because he thrives on the attention.
Well SOME of his OCD actions ARE caused by his ADD, which he CAN'T help. But I am betting there are tons of ADD diagnosed people on the boards that don't act like Rob. So you can't blame it on that. Entirely anyhow.
He is the closest thing to a celebrity this board has and he craves the attention because something must be lacking in his real life.
Stimulus is lacking in his life. This sort of behavior stimulates the part of the brain that makes someone with ADD hyper, making them feel more relaxed actually. It's weird but that's how it works.

For the most part people with ADD have a LACK of natural made stimulant the brain produces. So the person is in constant search for some sort of stimulant to feel comfortable. That is what they give people with ADD/ADHD speed. IT works differently on them.

Not that I agree with giving kids or anyone amphetamines for anything.

There are other ways to deal with it without drugs. And if Rob IS taking amphetamines still, that would explain his aggressiveness and cocky attitude.

None of this above is a bash on Rob. And ANYONE that uses such a disease against him is lower than dirt. But he is still responsible for his actions. We all are.

I am just attempting to maybe explain why Rob acts they way he does.

As he gets older, hopefully that side of him will mature. I've seen many people with ADD/ADHD go through it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 12, 2007, 12:06 PM

It is unhelpful for anyone here to "diagnose" anyone's potential health issues. I highly doubt that any of us is trained or qualified to do any sort of diagnosis anyway.

As an aside, people with ADD or ADHD who use stimulants for their condition DO NOT EXPERIENCE THE SAME EFFECTS AS OTHERS WHO DO NOT HAVE ADD/ADHD. The appropriate dosage of stimulant medications (Ritalin, dexamphetamine, etc.) actually calms the patient and allows him or her to focus-the effect is quite remarkable. Some ADD sufferers manage their focus issues strictly with caffeine. Again, the use of stimulant medication to manage ADD does NOT cause the same effects such stimulants would cause in people who do not suffer from ADD. (And yes, I am qualified to state that, both as a health care professional (in training at the moment) and the parent of a child with ADD. I've done the research - had to write papers about it, in fact.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 12, 2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It is unhelpful for anyone here to "diagnose" anyone's potential health issues. I highly doubt that any of us is trained or qualified to do any sort of diagnosis anyway.
I agree. But Rob had admitted to being diagnosed by such people that are qualified before in this forum. If it came off as a diagnosis on my part, I did not intend it to. I thought everyone knew Rob had ADD/ADHD as I've taken up for him when a few people used it to attack him. Like "Why don't you take your meds ADD boy" or something hateful of the like. As a matter of fact, it happened this week
As an aside, people with ADD or ADHD who use stimulants for their condition DO NOT EXPERIENCE THE SAME EFFECTS AS OTHERS WHO DO NOT HAVE ADD/ADHD. The appropriate dosage of stimulant medications (Ritalin, dexamphetamine, etc.) actually calms the patient and allows him or her to focus-the effect is quite remarkable.
Indeed. But it also causes an addiction and sometimes can make that person more aggressive and violent. There are other medications out there now that work that don't have stimulants in them, and are not addictive.
Some ADD sufferers manage their focus issues strictly with caffeine. Again, the use of stimulant medication to manage ADD does NOT cause the same effects such stimulants would cause in people who do not suffer from ADD. (And yes, I am qualified to state that, both as a health care professional (in training at the moment) and the parent of a child with ADD. I've done the research - had to write papers about it, in fact.
Yeah I am agreeing with you.

"That is what they give people with ADD/ADHD speed. IT works differently on them. "

For example, I've been diagnosed by a few doctors, and have fallen asleep on amphetamines before.

Maybe it's why I have a larger tolerance for Rob's silliness than a lot of people. And maybe why I'd like to see him make it.

The stuff I see in Rob that I can attribute to him being ADD I look over. But the hatefulness isn't part of the ADD.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 12, 2007 at 12:53 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ReardenMetal View Post
He gave me a 2 week ban, which was total BS. I do not respect his abuse of powers, so I came back. I'll continue to do so, whenever.
Wow, already banninatied members are given temp bans ?

How does that work ?

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 02:39 PM

This is a very forgiving place.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
This is MadNN.
Fixinated for ya !

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wow, already banninatied members are given temp bans ?

How does that work ?

-t
His permaban was lifted a while ago.
Chuck
___

imacman
Baninated
Aug 13, 2007, 04:37 PM

My bitching about the iMac's videocard has NOTHING to do with ADD, and everything to do with principles. I was pissed off because certain members were arguing it was faster, when I had the benchmarks and stats to PROVE that it was slower. There was so much ignorance and stupidity being posted, I felt the need to combat it with cold, hard, facts.

A certain member, as per usual, is pretending he knows everything, and knows best. The reality is he's wrong.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Interesting.

I'm just wondering: why start out with five padlocks?

It gives the impression of accomplishment.

Why not start out with one padlock and the title "fresh faced prisoner", and then insult one's way up to five padlocks, or "Addicted to insults"?
Can we? Can we?!

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by imacman View Post
A certain member, as per usual, is pretending he knows everything, and knows best. The reality is he's wrong.
For a moment there, I thought that was a reply to himself. I'm still not completely convinced it wasn't...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 10:22 PM

There was so much ignorance and stupidity being posted, I felt the need to combat it with cold, hard, facts.
Why???

What I mean is, if things are going down hill and a mod is warning you to cool it, just walk away. Who cares if people are posting incorrect info. Its not like world peace hinges on us posting accurate information. This is just a forum. Take it for what it is and not get soo worked up on it.

imacman
Baninated
Aug 13, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Why???
1. Because I felt like it.
2. It's not against the rules
3. I wasn't breaking any rules
4. People were spreading misinformation
5. People were responding to my posts, and when people do that and ask questions, or make statements, I feel compelled to respond.

What I mean is, if things are going down hill and a mod is warning you to cool it, just walk away. Who cares if people are posting incorrect info. Its not like world peace hinges on us posting accurate information. This is just a forum. Take it for what it is and not get soo worked up on it.
It was going downhill the moment Apple released an inferior product and the apologists started defending it as an improvement. Now I know how PC users feel about Apple zealots. Lastly, I DID NOT SEE LATERALUS telling me to stop, because I was too busy responding to posts above his. I just suddenly became banned, and then saw his warnings, and then realized I was banned for two weeks for posting about Apple's computers on a Mac messageboard without breaking any rules without insulting people or calling them names.

Only at the NN!!!!!!!!!

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 14, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

As an aside, people with ADD or ADHD who use stimulants for their condition DO NOT EXPERIENCE THE SAME EFFECTS AS OTHERS WHO DO NOT HAVE ADD/ADHD. The appropriate dosage of stimulant medications (Ritalin, dexamphetamine, etc.) actually calms the patient and allows him or her to focus-the effect is quite remarkable. Some ADD sufferers manage their focus issues strictly with caffeine. Again, the use of stimulant medication to manage ADD does NOT cause the same effects such stimulants would cause in people who do not suffer from ADD. (And yes, I am qualified to state that, both as a health care professional (in training at the moment) and the parent of a child with ADD. I've done the research - had to write papers about it, in fact.
Also to add to this... stimulating medications act different on "normal" people. I have seen non-ADD/ADHD people take ritalin and go berserk.

Just to add to this, there is a group of "patients" that manage without any stimulants, e.g. caffeine, ritalin, etc. I have ADD and experience completely the opposite symptoms to ADHD (I get "lost" in an idea, I lose attention of the world around me, rather then jumping from one moment to the next). I manage my "deficiencies" through a certain level of discipline and the family-given tendency of workaholicism.

Just to get back to our dear forum member, well temporarily so. I have read a part of the conglomeration of the posts. There is a clear LACK of respect for people's decision to buy the machine or their opinions of it. It becomes borderline offensive at times, seeming as if he would jump them at any time. Just realize that different people have different opinions that is all. This is isn't communism after all, well and that didn't work out too well either now did it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 02:14 AM

It was going downhill the moment Apple released an inferior product and the apologists started defending it as an improvement. Now I know how PC users feel about Apple zealots. Lastly, I DID NOT SEE LATERALUS telling me to stop, because I was too busy responding to posts above his. I just suddenly became banned, and then saw his warnings, and then realized I was banned for two weeks for posting about Apple's computers on a Mac messageboard without breaking any rules without insulting people or calling them names.
Heh, banned for posting a cogent argument against being banned. Wheels within wheels, man.
Chuck
___

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 14, 2007, 02:41 AM

2. It's not against the rules
3. I wasn't breaking any rules
5. People were responding to my posts, and when people do that and ask questions, or make statements, I feel compelled to respond.

Only at the NN!!!!!!!!!
We all shed a tear for you.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
We all shed a tear for you.
Actually, my tear was split between him and that nice kid who went off So You Think You Can Dance tonight.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 05:59 AM

My bitching about the iMac's videocard has NOTHING to do with ADD, and everything to do with principles. I was pissed off because certain members were arguing it was faster, when I had the benchmarks and stats to PROVE that it was slower. There was so much ignorance and stupidity being posted, I felt the need to combat it with cold, hard, facts.

The wolf out in the woods made you do it. Everyone go look at it.
Like you belitteling what really happened here

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...or-the-record/

Rob I think what people are trying to say to you is, take responsibilities for your actions.

According to you not ONE TIME have you been banned fairly in this forum. EVERY TIME you get banned you either claim you did nothing wrong, or it was someone else's fault. Or people lied about what you did!!11 You'll deny it until you get proven wrong, then you'll launch ad-hominem attacks on people until it gets you banned. Rinse, repeat.

When a boy cries wolf so many times like you have in this thread and the thread above they start to not believe you even when you are telling the truth.

From the people I have talked with, most do not hate you. Most just wish you'd take responsibilities for your actions. Which is part of becoming an adult.

We really WANT you in this forum Rob. But you are the only person that can control that.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 07:41 AM

Well don't piss and moan about how its not your fault when you get banned.

Looks like you couldn't contain yourself this time and your banned again.

At some point you really should grow up and mature.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 09:33 AM

It seems like he who must not be named has split his soul into 8 pieces a horcrux.. Seems he who must not be named is actually integrated into the forums.. Hence his desire to come back. With his quest to continually get Lat riled up.. He must be destroyed before he can completely reassemble his soul or he may be too powerful to stop. The dark side can do many things.. Can turn a man like he who must not be named into a mentally ill madman.. Hence his wanting to return numerous times after he has been vanquished. One cannot survive while the other lives

*sorry for the deep potter reference but ive been up all night configuring my linux system with XGL/Beryl and im pretty damn outta it*

jersey
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
...snip...

We really WANT you in this forum Rob. But you are the only person that can control that.
Speak for yourself, but there are plenty of people who think this place is much better without his antics, myself included.

His childlike behavior was funny, once, in 2003, and hasn't been funny since.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jersey View Post
Speak for yourself, but there are plenty of people who think this place is much better without his antics, myself included.

What I am saying is, if he stops acting like that, most people wouldn't care if he was back. The reason why people don't want him here isn't because they have a chip on their shoulder about him (well I am sure some do..) but for the most part it's because his actions. We can never learn from our bad actions if we deny they exist, and blame them on other people. When we do that, we keep making the same mistakes. If Rob would stop this cycle, he banning would stop. And people would be more willing to welcome him in.

At least I would HOPE so. I would HOPE that this forum was mature enough to let the past go and have their opinions based on what is going on during the present time. People do have the ability to change. But only that person can control that.

Rob has the very "key" to get himself unbanned permanently. If we/themods hated him so badly or wanted him gone so badly he wouldn't have gotten as many chances as he has gotten. Even AFTER being perm-banned he was even let back in. So his accusations that people have it out for him are a bit absurd.

We'd just like a Rob that doesn't attack or at least take responsibilities for his actions when he does. I don't think however he is going to get that help that he needs to over-come such obstacles here in MacNN though.

And Rob has to make the first step.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 10:24 AM

Agreed, I don't like his antics, I would rather (to put it rather bluntly) not have this psychopathic troll around any longer.

All he does is make everybody argue and make enemies. (ie Kevin vs just about everybody else in this forum)
Signature depreciated.

D.O.G.S. CEO
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Agreed, I don't like his antics, I would rather (to put it rather bluntly) not have this psychopathic troll around any longer.

All he does is make everybody argue and make enemies. (ie Kevin vs just about everybody else in this forum)
So you are calling me a psychopath, and a troll, purely because I was pissed off about Apple's decisions to make the new iMac crappier? Why do you feel justified in your name-calling antics, while complaining about me? I do not understand your complaint, because for the past few months, I have NOT been calling names, I have NOT been attacking people, and I have not been breaking MacNN rules of posting. You've just broken more rules in your last post than I have in the past few hundred days.

D.O.G.S. CEO
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 10:36 AM

What exactly is childlike about debating over the technical specs of the new iMac? I was not name calling, nor was I using personal attacks. So what are you talking about?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
For the record, Rob isn't my enemy. No one here on this forum is MY enemy. Esp not Rob.

I don't hate Rob, I don't wish him any harm. I really really wish he could be part of this forum. And wish he'd make the steps that it takes to do so.

If Rob does these things, and you still hate him, well that says more about the person hating Rob than it does Rob.

jersey
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by D.O.G.S. CEO View Post
What exactly is childlike about debating over the technical specs of the new iMac? I was not name calling, nor was I using personal attacks. So what are you talking about?
Eh ..... last I checked I wasnt talking about that thread in particular. I was however, talking about the last 4+ years that you have acted childish, been banned, and come back.

You dont own this forum, and when you break the rules countless times, and are asked to leave, you should leave and not come back. It's that simple. You've come back dozens of times after being banned and the behavior doesnt change, nor does it appear it ever will, and everyone is tired of it.

Yes, yes, we all know, you didnt break the rules, and it's not your fault.

I'm done with this thread, as its sole focus on Rob, is pretty much the biggest waste of time I've participated in, in the last 4 years.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 11:39 AM

This place has gone to the cats and dogs...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 14, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This place has gone to the cats and dogs...
I can appreciate a good pun. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by D.O.G.S. CEO View Post
So you are calling me a psychopath, and a troll, purely because I was pissed off about Apple's decisions to make the new iMac crappier?
I was referring to your whole life on this forum, not just the iMac.

Why do you feel justified in your name-calling antics, while complaining about me?
I was calling you a psychopath/troll because you fit the profile, not to attack you, I meant nothing of such.

I do not understand your complaint, because for the past few months, I have NOT been calling names, I have NOT been attacking people, and I have not been breaking MacNN rules of posting. You've just broken more rules in your last post than I have in the past few hundred days.
I'll leave the mods to judge that.

Originally Posted by Kevin
For the record, Rob isn't my enemy. No one here on this forum is MY enemy. Esp not Rob.

I don't hate Rob, I don't wish him any harm. I really really wish he could be part of this forum. And wish he'd make the steps that it takes to do so.

If Rob does these things, and you still hate him, well that says more about the person hating Rob than it does Rob.
Yes I know your opinion of Rob, and I respect it.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Aug 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Damn OS X spellchecker confusing option with opinion)
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 11:54 AM

opinion?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 14, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
opinion?
True, but from what i see in the posts is that he "attacks" members for their opinion. As long as they aren't same to his own idea, the member will nearly be "hunted down" by him. As we can see from his multiple accounts, he wants to get into fights or at least is very needed of some attention

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biest View Post
True, but from what i see in the posts is that he "attacks" members for their opinion. As long as they aren't same to his own idea, the member will nearly be "hunted down" by him. As we can see from his multiple accounts, he wants to get into fights or at least is very needed of some attention
The way I understood it, Peter's comment was more directed towards CEO's confusion of "option" and "opinion" rather than CEO's statement being merely an opinion.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 01:43 PM

Although this may not have started as a thread about one particular member, it certain turned into one rather quick. Given that, I'm pulling the plug on this little love fest.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules