Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new college student thinking of getting a mac

new college student thinking of getting a mac
shambralam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:04 PM

i am a new student at Arizona State University, and i am looking at buying a new lap top for the coming year. I am looking at the MacBook compaired to other PC's. My family has been using a PC for as long as i can remember but im frustrated with the windows program, i have had tons of problems with virus's and it always runs so incedibly slow. i have heard so many good things about apple computers but i am not sure if i want to take a chance and get a computer that i wont know how to use. Should i get the mac or stick with the PC? any suggestions?

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 17, 2007, 10:13 PM

What are you going to study and what do you usually do on a PC?

shambralam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:20 PM

im going to be studying art such as painting and performance.
i usually use the movie maker, photo programs,and the music player besides the internet, word, ect.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

Photo programs? You mean Photoshop?
Movie Maker? I am guessing the MS one, iMovie will make you very happy.

Well I am guessing if your image files aren't huge (100+ MB), you should be fine with a MB with 2GB of RAM and an external HDD.

Personally if you are going to get more and more involved in PS, etc. an MBP would be the better option, esp. since the RAM goes up to 4 GB and the faster processor

shambralam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:28 PM

i know that with windows i always encounter problems with the photo programs, for instance someone will get a new camera and download the software for it and i lose the use of the other program. i have resorted to just using paint to edit pictures which is a real pain in the butt if you ask me...

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 10:30 PM

That is true, even though you can draw the Mona Lisa in it .

iPhoto should help with the importing problem of pictures. Else I would recommend to go with PS, since it is universal now

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by shrambralam
i am not sure if i want to take a chance and get a computer that i wont know how to use.
It really is intuitive and easy to figure out- and you can always get help from the community or at the Apple Store.

shambralam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:50 PM

i also heard that you can now run windows off of the macbook
how does that work?

shambralam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:53 PM

also,the only apple store near me is a good 45 mins away

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 17, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by shambralam View Post
i have heard so many good things about apple computers but i am not sure if i want to take a chance and get a computer that i wont know how to use. Should i get the mac or stick with the PC? any suggestions?
Well first of all Macs aren't that hard to use. Actually I would say they are easier and more intuitive than PCs. For the most part Macs and PCs are pretty similar in a lot of ways and with Microsoft constantly copying Mac you'll see many familiar functions. There are differences but you can always post your problems on this forum.

Lastly all the newer Macs have the ability to also load Windows so if you for some reason don't like OS X then you can just use Windows only. Now a days there really isn't much of a "risk" to use Macs because you can always go back to Windows...but why would anyone want to do that?

p.s. I was a PC user since Windows 3.11 and I love that I don't have to deal with all the Windows crap problems anymore. Macs allow you to enjoy using a computer again.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 11:04 PM

i also heard that you can now run windows off of the macbook
how does that work?
There are three main methods:
Bootcamp Apple - Boot Camp
Paralles Parallels Desktop for Mac
VMWare VMware Fusion Overview, Run Windows on Mac, Virtual PC on Mac - VMware

For Paralles and VMware, a window in Mac OS X will pop up and you use it in Mac OS X, while with Bootcamp you actually boot into windows as it will give you the option when you start up.
also,the only apple store near me is a good 45 mins away
Order online: The Apple Store (U.S.) - home
Or
Phone: 1-800-MY-APPLE

shambralam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 11:35 PM

so you dont think im going to have anyprobs with the apple system because i know that the school runs off of the windows program

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 11:44 PM

No you shouldn't the only problem might be if they ask for a specific program in a class that is only available on windows, but either you can boot into windows via the both mentioned methods or go to the comp lab. they should have it there

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 12:24 AM

You qualify for edu pricing, and I imagine there are some good discounts on Mac software in the ASU bookstore. Pretty much all you'll need for papers Office 2004.

The only reason you might want to have virus software is in case you're collaborating with someone on a PC and they send you an infected document (which won't affect the Mac) which you then edit and send on to a professor. Guess who gets blamed?

Otherwise, you don't need spyware software or virus software. That should sell you right there.

College students who buy a Mac get a free Nano

Apple - Back to School

outdoor2extrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 01:13 PM

Do it! Best decision! I got a mac laptop when i went to college and i just can't be any happier with my decision. When i got mine they didn't have the deal to get the free Nano, so you are way lucky! Your mac might be a little hard to get used to at first, but you'll catch on quick! I have a great case that i use for my laptop you should check out too! Around campus if you bring your computer with you around it's so easy to get scratches or damage it in some way. Here is the link for the case i use Laptop case, Rugged laptop case, waterproof laptop, rugged pc case, pc case.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2007, 10:55 PM

i am a new student at Arizona State University, and i am looking at buying a new lap top for the coming year. I am looking at the MacBook compaired to other PC's. My family has been using a PC for as long as i can remember but im frustrated with the windows program, i have had tons of problems with virus's and it always runs so incedibly slow. i have heard so many good things about apple computers but i am not sure if i want to take a chance and get a computer that i wont know how to use. Should i get the mac or stick with the PC? any suggestions?
get a macbook! do it. you wont regret it. and get applecare extended warranty!
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules