Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Update CDs machine-specific?

Leopard Update CDs machine-specific?
Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Nov 11, 2007, 03:04 PM

Hi,

WARNING: This is legal grey area. Please delete or lock if inappropriate.

So here is the deal. My parents bought a new iMac just before leopard came out because our Dell laptop said goodbye (well the mainboard and ram did). They bought it after Oct. 1st, so they got the 10€ upgrade for leopard cd. But the CD was supposedly lost in the mail (with 14000 others). After they had filed their claim for a new one, the original CD surprisingly arrived in mail. Now we are sitting on two copies of leopard by accident. Can I use the extra copy to upgrade my macbook (Core Duo)?

Cheers,

Biest

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2007, 03:31 PM

You have two legitimate copies, even if you didn't pay for two. Apple basically comp'd you one for your inconvenience.

If Apple cared, they would have said, Hey, if the other shows up, return it or destroy it.

This happens sometimes. Enjoy your good luck.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 03:40 PM

You have two copies of the media, but you may only have one license. Read the papers that came with the disks very carefully if you're concerned about being licensed. But of course there's nothing to stop you from installing Leopard on 1000 machines from one disk.

Can you? Yes. May you? Maybe.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Nov 11, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You have two copies of the media, but you may only have one license. Read the papers that came with the disks very carefully if you're concerned about being licensed. But of course there's nothing to stop you from installing Leopard on 1000 machines from one disk.

Can you? Yes. May you? Maybe.
I'll need to check on that as well. Cause i dunno if both cds count as a single license or as two.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 04:59 PM

Just to test this, I tried an CPU drop-in upgrade on a G5 iMac, and it did not complain at all (I canceled the install by turning off the machine as it was checking the DVD medium, but that's already part of the installation process).

VuONG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 10:46 PM

how can apple check that you install the upgrade cd on muptile machines though? thru updates? or what

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by VuONG View Post
how can apple check that you install the upgrade cd on muptile machines though? thru updates? or what
They don't.

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by VuONG View Post
They can't. what they can do is make it so it'll only run on certain hardware though. Not that they've necessarily done that either, but...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 04:18 PM

Again. MS does all kind of anti-social crap to stop people installing windows on multiple machines. Apple doesn't. Don't abuse that - it will lead to more crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules