Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > External HD Permissions Error (Leopard)

External HD Permissions Error (Leopard)
packet of krisps
Apr 28, 2008, 09:14 PM

Hey, I spent a long time trying to figure out a solution for this, a lot of research was done, and in every forum I read, there was never a good solution.

When I plug in an external HD to my Mac, the folders on it are all locked, when I try do use either the Disk Utility or unlock it in the "Get Info" menu, (like I had with no problem in Tiger), it says I do not have privileges to, and doesn't let me. The disk is formatted as FAT (I don't think permissions even work under NTFS). Every forum I went to had numerous UNIX commands to fix the problem, and only worked for about half the people who visited it. The most popular solution was for the users to simply downgrade to Tiger. I love Tiger, and would downgrade instantly, if my MBP didn't come with Leopard pre-installed, I have heard of some people doing this, I have a Tiger installation Disc, The MBP is late 2007, and has all the latest firmware updates.

If anyone could either give me a hand with the permissions issues, or help me install Tiger on a machine that came with Leopard, I look forward to the reply!

Thanks

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Cold Warrior
Apr 29, 2008, 01:14 AM

What about copying the folders to another drive? Do they still have the locks?

packet of krisps  (op)
Apr 29, 2008, 04:20 PM

It's a laptop, and the only other laptop I've got is a 160GB USB drive, but I guess it's my only option.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Forum Links
Forum Rules