Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kernal Panics...making me nervous...

Kernal Panics...making me nervous...
packet of krisps
May 18, 2008, 08:27 PM

Hi all, It's my MBP, it's got Leopard, updated and such. They are the most predictable when I use the laptop like this: I use the laptop normally, then close the top, to use it in closed-lid mode with my cinema. The laptop wakes up from sleep with a blue screen (normal transition screen) and then goes back to sleep, despite the lid being closed, the m0nitor being plugged in and the power, kb, etc. Then I try it several times, and it never works, so I reboot, still in closed lid, and get a panic before OS X even loads, reboot again everything is fine. This same exact scenario happened 2-3 times a week for about 2 weeks, and still does. I don't think much of it, I have all my data backed up.

Today I used aperture to move photos from one project to another, not a difficult process, (about 300 photos, RAW, 6.1 megapixels), my G5 could handle it no problem. Aperture froze, I forced quit and then got a panic again, I rebooted, tried the same deal with only iChat open, same force quit and panic immediately following, repeated about 3 times still with no success. (I've got 4GB of DDR2).

I use SMC Fan Control, and blast the fans while aperture is running, if the fans are on 6K RPM, the system temp gets to about 61 degrees and sometimes a tad bit higher.

Anything I can do? The laptop is about 5 months old.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2008, 02:34 AM

Is that 4GB RAM the original RAM? Try putting the original RAM back in (I know it may be a small amount) and see if it stops panicing. If it does, then try adding in 1 stick of 2GB RAM at a time to see which one sets it off.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

Have you got the latest firmware upates?

packet of krisps  (op)
May 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

It's the original RAM. I haven't touched the hardware, the thing is still under the 1 year warranty.

packet of krisps  (op)
May 19, 2008, 07:41 PM

I just downloaded the latest EFI, I am not sure if I had it or not, I installed it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
It's the original RAM. I haven't touched the hardware, the thing is still under the 1 year warranty.
Buy Applecare, and send it in for repair...

packet of krisps  (op)
May 19, 2008, 09:43 PM

Heh, $350 bucks?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

You can usually get it cheaper. But yeah, 350 for another two years.

packet of krisps  (op)
May 20, 2008, 03:04 PM

Where can I get it for cheaper? I don't really have 350 bucks, haha.

Oh, and the EFI update pretty much solved the docking problem, as well as pretty much all the panics.

Edit: Oh, never mind, the panics are still occurring frequently, should I try a fresh install of the os, I can't put tiger on it?
( Last edited by packet of krisps; May 20, 2008 at 03:52 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules