Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone does not support name display?

iPhone does not support name display?
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:09 AM

I was told by Rogers (AT&T in Canada) that the iPhone does not support name display because Apple didn't build in the functionality. Is this true?

By name display I mean that if the person calling is not in your phonebook both the NAME and number of the person calling shows.

Major bummer if true.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:35 AM

Correct, but then I've never had a cell phone that did, so until your post I never really thought of it as an omission.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Correct, but then I've never had a cell phone that did, so until your post I never really thought of it as an omission.
Weird. Why is this? Is name display in the US not popular? Even my old Sony phones had name display a couple years ago.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Weird. Why is this? Is name display in the US not popular? Even my old Sony phones had name display a couple years ago.
Really? I didn't know that, and I had a bunch of Sony Ericsson phones. I guess I just never subscribed to the name display feature. (I just had plain caller ID.)

Yeah, I can see that being annoying if you're used to it, but I find the lack of cut and paste more annoying.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, I can see that being annoying if you're used to it, but I find the lack of cut and paste more annoying.
You never did tell me what the heck you seem to need to cut and paste daily anyway.

But yes, name display missing is a huge annoyance. I always thought that it didn't work on my old hacked iPhone because it wasn't available in this country so it was a bug. Sucks I was wrong.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 01:33 PM

You never did tell me what the heck you seem to need to cut and paste daily anyway.
Uh, isn't it obvious? To cut text for pasting elsewhere of course.

This is useful for copying parts of text messages for example, to resend in another SMS, or in an email.

Also, today I couldn't check my USPS shipment status on my iPhone, because I couldn't copy the shipment ID number from my email. I had to write it down, and then type it in manually. That's a major PITA.

This is pretty basic functionality my friend, and a lot better supported in other devices than stuff like visual voicemail or name display.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:39 PM

Also, today I couldn't check my USPS shipment status on my iPhone, because I couldn't copy the shipment ID number from my email. I had to write it down, and then type it in manually. That's a major PITA.
IN that situation I agree with you but in the year I have had the iphone I have wanted to copy paste an SMS all of 2 times. Emails, I just forward and delete what I dont' want.

I think the function is easy for Apple to do, the problem is how to make an interface for it that makes sense which is probably what the hold up is.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 01:45 PM

IN that situation I agree with you but in the year I have had the iphone I have wanted to copy paste an SMS all of 2 times.
Well, I don't need it daily, but maybe a couple times a week. More if I did more email on my iPhone.

Emails, I just forward and delete what I dont' want.
How do you forward an email to an SMS?

The other problem is when you get those stupid super-long ultra-nested emails, and all you want is one line.

I think the function is easy for Apple to do, the problem is how to make an interface for it that makes sense which is probably what the hold up is.
Yeah, I wonder.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 02:10 PM

How do you forward an email to an SMS?
I think there are ways to do it but I forget how. That never really comes up for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules