Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 800 Not posting

iBook G4 800 Not posting
packet of krisps
Nov 29, 2008, 02:08 PM

Hey guys, my friend has an iBook G4 800, it had leopard on it, and it ran ok. About two weeks ago the computer would turn on, and would work normally through the boot, until it came time for the menu bar to appear with the desktop, it wouldn't, the computer froze at the blue screen just as those two things should appear, no, the mouse doesn't appear either. The caps lock on the KB lights up upon pushing, and when I try to boot from a CD it will let me as well. The hardware inspection shows no problems. He took it to the apple store and they said it was the logic board, I think it could be, but I thought it could also be his HD, so I started by erasing it and putting tiger on it, with the same problem. I think it might be the actual Hard Drive, and that I should just get a new one.

Many of you guys will probably tell me that it's time to move on and just get something else, but neither of us have any money, except the like 50 bucks it would take for a new IDE drive. Should I do it for him for Christmas?

Or just give his parents the cash and try to convince them in getting a nice refurb. The only problem is he's working in engineering, with cads and stuff, so he needs the video, which means it would have to be a pro, right? So even for a refurb, it would cost a pretty penny.

Thanks

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2008, 09:39 PM

It's either the logic board or the HD. I've heard of both problems with these G4s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules