Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Upgrading a PowerMac 6500

Upgrading a PowerMac 6500
Thirdball
Jan 8, 2001, 01:18 AM

I'm getting a PowerMac 6500 in exchange for some of my design services. MacAddict Magazine ran an article in November of 2000 about "buying beige" and then upgrading. A PowerMac 6500/Performa 6400 was featured as a good machine to turn into the equivelent of an iMac DV 400. It quotes the following for prices and I was wondering if I could expect better/worse prices and if anyone has any other tips.

20 GB HD: $125
ATI Xclaim 8 MB: $99
G3/350 Upgrade: $349
Firewire-USB card: $130

Total: $703

How's that look?

Thanks for the help,
Adam
[email protected]

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2001, 10:53 AM

Since that issue is over a year old, you will definately find MUCH better prices. My guess, you will pay half of what you listed.

Try www.pricemac.com and www.dealmac.com

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2001, 07:46 PM

In my line of work we have a slogan, "Budget high, buy low; impress your boss. Purchase the fluf with what you saved."

I agree with the overall concept that a year after that issue came out (I can't believe I read that article a year ago) the prices will be about half is ok, but I would still give yourself about $800 to purchase the upgrades and then pat yourself on the back when you come in below that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules