Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone firmware 2.0 Problem

iPhone firmware 2.0 Problem
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2008, 04:21 AM

Hello to all!
I recently updated my iPhone with the v2.0 firmware and I've noticed that it's a bit on the slow side.
There is a huge delay when I'm getting out of the iPod and in to the main screen. What happens is the music pauses and after it's on the main screen comes back again. That certainly didn't happen with the previous version. Is this a separate incident or is it more widespread?

Thanks in advance

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 04:33 AM

It may be buggy software. Might have to wait for an upgrade. But if you use a lot of stuff from the app store, try removing some and see if that works.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 11:47 AM

Add it to the list man. 2.0 is notoriously buggy, crashy and slow. The worst iPhone OS to date. Hope they come out with that 2.01 update very soon but I bet they are holding off because they are scared to crash the servers again.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Add it to the list man. 2.0 is notoriously buggy, crashy and slow. The worst iPhone OS to date. Hope they come out with that 2.01 update very soon but I bet they are holding off because they are scared to crash the servers again.
I agree. Slow backups, crashes, etc. I was embarrsed the other day I was showing off some iPhone games to some buddies at work and two out the three crashed.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 06:00 AM

It's plainly obvious that 2.0 was NOT READY for the launch and the heat is probably on the iPhone team to rectify this ASAP. Hopefully they will hold off releasing it until ALL major bugs are sorted if they want to avoid another PR nightmare.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 09:23 AM

Google Maps and visual voicemail are trainwreaks. Both crash and LAG on me all the time and those are the 2 things I always demo to people.

Was visual voicemail as twitchy in the last firmware?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 09:42 AM

You're lucky you even HAVE visual voicemail

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ptkdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2008, 02:37 PM

I have a first generation iPhone that I bought in September of 2007. After upgrading to the 2.0 firmware, here are the issues I've experienced:

1. Extremely slow synching/backups
2. Crashing Apps from the AppStore (in particular AIM)
3. Apps ignoring the silent/ringer switch (i.e. after putting the phone in silent mode, then starting an app, the sound blares at full volume)
4. Music skips and pauses, even when iPod is the only thing running.
5. iPod forgetting what was playing
6. iPod not returning to the now playing screen (this has been an issue since I got the phone)
7. Long delay when switching from portrait to landscape in Safari
8. Push email doesn't work (Yahoo and .Mac/MobileMe)
9. Contacts is so slow I can look numbers up in a paper phone book faster
10. Overall the entire device is slow when moving between screens
11. iPhone gets HOT

I do have to admit I'm happy Apple fixed one thing that was driving me crazy: when listening to iPod through my car stereo (using Kenwood's iPod adapter), hitting the |<< button now restarts the current song instead of going back to the previous one. It also now correctly skips to the previous song only in the first few seconds of the current song.

As for AIM crashing, the easiest solution I have found is to tap Settings on the home screen, scrolling down to AIM settings and deleting my user ID. When restarting AIM, I have to enter it again (and any saved chats are gone), but it beats reinstalling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules