Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Activate iPhone if the account isn't mine?

Activate iPhone if the account isn't mine?
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 10:01 PM

Even though I just graduated, I am still on my parents cell plan and probably will be for a while. So I want to get an iphone. Tonight, my dad added me as an authorized user to make changes to the account. I also got the last 4 digits of his ssn.

Can I go into an apple store and buy a phone and activate it now that I am an authorized user or do I have to get my dad to come with me?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:03 PM

Why not ask AT&T? or Apple?

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 01:16 PM

Just so anyone that is searching doesn't run into what happened to me.

New apple policy says that the account holder must be present even if you are authorized. This is what I was told by the staff at the Cambridge, MA Apple Store. Apparently they don't have access to that info, and had run into problems last week.

I also called att today and the cs agent told me that they had received the memo that basically said the same thing. However, you can still activate in an ATT store. Just not the apple store because their system doesn't give them enough information to confirm identities.

I had called last week as was told I would be fine. So i waited in line for about 45 minutes this morning until i decided to ask just to be safe. In the end, I just went to the att store at the other end of the mall, ordered the phone and should have it in a week.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules