Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > overclocking 6400's

overclocking 6400's
thirtyfootsmurf
Dec 31, 2000, 12:45 AM

I d/l'ed an app that allows you to o/c your Sonnet card and tried many different settings. Which is the best for mine? I have a Sonnet 240 G3. I tried 320 but it froze playing Starcraft. I have it now on 300, which seems fine. The only problem is that everyone at this site reports temps of no more than ~130 F. My G3 runs at 95-108 C. I tried many different temperature measures but all came up the same. Is there something wrong? Is this normal?

Edit: It's not a 6400, but a Umax C600... (same mb)
------------------
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. 'X' is work. 'Y' is play, and 'Z' is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by thirtyfootsmurf (edited 12-30-2000).]

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2000, 11:34 AM

Those kind of temeratures are definately NOT normal. You better reduce that CPU speed before you wreck something. A normal temperature for a G3 is 20-50�C!

------------------
Visit my homepage , with it's brand NEW reviews and Mac Shopping sections.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

RedeemersZER0Z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 04:12 PM

Hmm... i think that it's a type...i dont really think that its running at 103 C...maybe he ment 103 F. Hopefully thats what he ment...otherwise, uh oh...

------------------

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Dec 31, 2000, 05:26 PM

Edit: And it's not OS X. Just a theme...

Umm... you know how they say "A picture is worth a thousand words..."

and....

Does this say anything to you????

Oh, and w/o overclocking it, it runs at a cool 95 degrees Celcius...

------------------
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. 'X' is work. 'Y' is play, and 'Z' is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by thirtyfootsmurf (edited 12-31-2000).]

cstew
Jan 2, 2001, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by thirtyfootsmurf:

Does this say anything to you????

Oh, and w/o overclocking it, it runs at a cool 95 degrees Celcius...

Feel both sides of your computer, do they feel like they can boil water? Next, run your computer for, like a half hour, open up the case, and put your hand near (don't touch) the Purple heat sink. If you are getting Major heat then there is something majorly wrong. If it's not too hot, Prehaps the problem is with your thromometer.

nhmacman0173
Jan 3, 2001, 11:11 PM

there is a website I found throuth www.lowendmac.com it is the 6400 zone
they have tons of information on upgrading,overclocking,gaming and more
you can find them at members.aol.com/zone6400

[This message has been edited by nhmacman0173 (edited 01-03-2001).]

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Jan 4, 2001, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the input! I found out that there is something wrong w/ my temp probe. I will take a thermocouple to it and see how hot (or cool!) it actually is.

------------------

MasterBlaster
Jan 6, 2001, 04:50 AM

Thirtyfootsmurf, where did you get that Mac OS X theme from? I've got an iBook (Blueberry), but I don't have enough RAM for the beta of OS X (I have 96), but really like the new look. Also, I have a Power Mac 6100/66 with 72 megs of RAM gathering dust in a corner. Any ideas for what to do with it? I'm thinking of painting it black with a white stripe either side of the CD drive.

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Jan 7, 2001, 09:30 PM

MasterBlaster: I got it from a link somewhere in these Fora... I think the Lounge... Search for Aqua soundset. Thats all that I can think of.

------------------
" I couldn't tell if the streaker was a man or a woman because it had a bag on it's head." -- Yogi Berra

Forum Links
Forum Rules