Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do podcasts work on 1-3G iPods now?

How do podcasts work on 1-3G iPods now?
Andrman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 11:41 AM

I'm at work and haven't been able to install iTunes 4.9. Since the iPod update is only for 4G, I'm wondering what the setup is going to be to get podcasts onto 1-3G iPods.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 12:56 PM

Well, you can still use podcasts with older iPods, but the Apple interface for them won't be available to you - which is slightly bumtastic.

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2005, 04:38 PM

Can anyone think of a way to automatically conglomerate new podcasts for those of us with 3G ipods? Downloaded through the iTunes/Store interface the podcasts don't seem to make it into the main library and therefore Smart Playlists don't seem them. Otherwise a smart playlist with "Genre: Podcast" would do the trick.
( Last edited by ericwass; Jun 28, 2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: [clarification])
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

jnrjr79
Jun 28, 2005, 08:32 PM

So far, here's what I'm doing. I have a 2G iPod. You can set your Podcasts to update automatically with your iPod under the preferences now without having to turn on Autosync for your music. Basically, the Podcast section operates like a separate library with separate settings. So, I have my Podcasts set to check for new episodes every hour and to auto-update new stuff with my iPod. Since there's no Podcast menu option on the iPod (which, as an aside, seems odd. How hard could that have been to add?) I just go to Music: Genre: Podcast and then everything I need is there.
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules